Porting games to the Nintendo Switch may be Difficult...

Mr.Meerkat
1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I said I play it, you even quoted it yourself. Practice reading comprehension when responding to others, cause I'm obviously done here, have a nice year.

Bye hater.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

5 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Bye hater.

I'm done here too. No use in beating a dead horse, he's clearly dead wrong. This guy wouldn't even get a single hit in on a pro player.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Just watch this video and have a seat. :)

Soooooo shallow, I bet you could do that in your sleep! /s

But seriously, this game being shallow or not isn't subjective. It isn't up for debate, it is a tough game. You're allowed to have your opinions (duh) but just know that they're far from right.

Did I hurt your feelings too cause I didn't like your pet franchise? 

Listen up: other people might be able to play Smash competitively I am aware. Most of you, well to quote Clerks just push fucking buttons. It's a simple game aimed at kids and casuals, just because it's possible to get ridiculously good at it doesn't means any of you should delude themselves to think you're a semi pro master of this great complex fighters: you're pushing fucking buttons, any monkey can push fucking buttons. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Listen up: other people might be able to play Smash competitively I am aware. Most of you, well to quote Clerks just push fucking buttons. It's a simple game aimed at kids and casuals, just because it's possible to get ridiculously good at it doesn't means any of you should delude themselves to think you're a semi pro master of this great complex fighters: you're fucking buttons, any monkey can push fucking buttons. 

Even if you take a look at other fighting games, the fact that it is aimed at kids and casuals is good. Smash can easily be compared to other games in the fighting genre, and is the least intimidating out of all of them. Anyone can pick up Smash, but not everyone would like to do other more serious fighting games. Street Fighter (which I think is the most competitive out of them all) has yet to revitalize the franchise and instead has ruined it with the very odd incomplete release (and business model) of Street Fighter V. It's also odd that you complain about Smash, yet every game in the fighting genre is only really being kept alive by its own fans...

2 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Even if you take a look at other fighting games, the fact that it is aimed at kids and casuals is good. Smash can easily be compared to other games in the fighting genre, and is the least intimidating out of all of them. Anyone can pick up Smash, but not everyone would like to do other more serious fighting games. Street Fighter (which I think is the most competitive out of them all) has yet to revitalize the franchise and instead has ruined it with the very odd incomplete release (and business model) of Street Fighter V. It's also odd that you complain about Smash, yet every game in the fighting genre is only really being kept alive by its own fans...

Sure I didn't say it was necessarily a negative just that I didn't like it. Nintendo is good at retaining fans (Look at these 2) and capturing kids, sometimes casuals. But that's just not as big of a market. In the grand scheme of things they're just never going to touch Sony and Microsoft (And certainly not PC) Who can do casuals And higher revenue hardcore games. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Listen up: other people might be able to play Smash competitively I am aware. Most of you, well to quote Clerks just push fucking buttons. It's a simple game aimed at kids and casuals, just because it's possible to get ridiculously good at it doesn't means any of you should delude themselves to think you're a semi pro master of this great complex fighters: you're pushing fucking buttons, any monkey can push fucking buttons. 

Ohhh, sounds like someone is projecting their bad skill!

Hey, just because you suck at games and just push buttons doesn't mean everyone else does, speak for yourself. Also, what a weak argument. I guess you can say any game is "just mashing fucking buttons". And just because something is simple doesn't mean there is no skill. Take tennis for example. I could just say "all you do is bounce the ball back and forth." or football "all you do is take the ball to the other side" or chess "all you do is move pieces around". Do you see how weak your argument is now?

You also make it sound like only tiny amount of people are good at the game. Dead wrong. Someone even 20% as good as the top players are still very skillful. There are a huge amount of competitive players, have you ever watched a single tournament? Of course you haven't.

Smash has a huge community and is only growing larger. The fact that you're out of touch doesn't change that. Now you could be mature and accept that you were wrong this time, or you can keep going on about something you know nothing of. You said it yourself, you don't care about Smash, therefore, you are not qualified to judge by any means. I might be a shitty player when it comes to competitive skill (At least I don't "just mash fucking buttons" like you), but I've been watching and following the scene for years now so I know a lot more than you do.

And PS: just to put this out there, I never said I was good at the game, or a master, or any of that shit. You putting words in my mouth that clearly weren't there isn't helping your case.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

15 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Ohhh, sounds like someone is projecting their bad skill!

I never claimed to have any skill on any games, "get good" arguments are beneath me, have fun.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 12/30/2016 at 7:01 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Since when have we cared about ports on Nintendo anyway though?  No one buys a Nintendo console hoping to play the latest AAA games... it's for first party Nintendo games and that's it...

While that may be true, Nintendo needs to be competitive with Sony and Microsoft, or people are just going to forget about the Switch. While it may be a different approach to gaming, why would someone seriously pay money for a Switch when they could just buy a PS4 or Xbox One, and have plenty of AAA titles to play(we're talking about someone who is buying one console or the other. Not someone who buys them all)?

And maybe people should start caring about AAA titles on Nintendo's hardware. I honestly believe that the only reason why people don't care is because this is what they expect from Nintendo, and I think that should change. Competition is good for everyone, and that concept needs to be pushed towards everyone. Not just Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA. This applies to console manufacturers, including Nintendo.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

9 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I never claimed to have any skill on any games, "get good" arguments are beneath me, have fun.

Translation: "I have no refute!"

Way to ignore the rest of that post in a pitiful attempt to make yourself look better. Oh well, I tried reasoning with you. Have fun being a delusional douche who thinks he's always right. Funny I usually agree with what you post and though you were a logical person, but now that I've talked with you first hand I see much differently. Good day sir, go ahead and take the final words, I know you need them.

4 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Translation: "I have no refute!"

That is usually the case when the argument presented forward is so far off the mark there's nothing to respond to: I suck, doesn't means I cannot accurately assess what skill and complexity looks like, just like many football coaches were never players, are mostly fat middle age or old men yet still can accurately asses which players are good and how to best use their talents.

But if you disagree then you disagree, to you nothing but practicality matters and it shows by how you react to my playful assertion that you suck, yet when you tell me I suck I give exactly this many fucks:

Spoiler

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 12/30/2016 at 7:02 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well...although that's true, Nintendo needs more people to buy their consoles which third party support helps else they're just going to continue loosing money and maybe even go bust :/ 

Just having a few mediocre consoles is likely not enough to tank Nintendo:

This video is a bit old, but I dare say Nintendo is in somewhat better shape today if anything. Point is, there are a lot of problems with the Wii U beyond just trouble supporting M-rated third-party titles. Nintendo does the best when they pump out a lot of incredible first-party titles, but even if they don't, the Switch is probably still not a make-or-break moment for them.

In my opinion, Xbox One and PS4 both compete with the PC, mainly because they have a lot of games shared across as well as its own sets of exclusives (although exclusive PC games are not really large unless you include the indie scene). I see Nintendo's Switch as a continuation of their rule into the portable gaming console market (PS Vita was a pretty sad competitor despite its more outstanding specs, PSP was a good first attempt at it though). Because I see the Switch as a portable console, I cannot really justify it as a competitor to the Xbox One and PS4 (or the PC).

Maybe more 3rd party developers will make games for it, although it hasn't really happened since the DS. Hopefully, the single screen format makes it more interesting for devs wanting to port stuff over (like the Final Fantasy Tactics on the GBA) . I've been satisfied with Nintendo's offerings on their 3DS platform and have enjoyed a few less known 3rd party games on their digital store. Portable consoles are not for everyone, so I'm not surprised about the dislike on it.

I'm just not convinced whatsoever with this particular extremely vague and non-committal "leak".

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

6 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

While that may be true, Nintendo needs to be competitive with Sony and Microsoft, or people are just going to forget about the Switch. While it may be a different approach to gaming, why would someone seriously pay money for a Switch when they could just buy a PS4 or Xbox One, and have plenty of AAA titles to play(we're talking about someone who is buying one console or the other. Not someone who buys them all)?

And maybe people should start caring about AAA titles on Nintendo's hardware. I honestly believe that the only reason why people don't care is because this is what they expect from Nintendo, and I think that should change. Competition is good for everyone, and that concept needs to be pushed towards everyone. Not just Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA. This applies to console manufacturers, including Nintendo.

Let's say Nintendo didn't go the Switch route and instead went head on with MS/Sony instead. Would that really help us? We'd have yet another console that was a box you left at home, playing significantly the same games bar a handful of system exclusives. Overall, do we get anything new or different? Not really. Just more fragmentation. Also at this stage of the game, given three choices like that, would you pick Nintendo or the established heavyweights? Nintendo would be in a lose-lose situation here. It doesn't make sense to fight established players by doing exactly the same thing as they already are. MS are probably the only successful relatively recent entrant to the console market, but they have deep enough pockets to push their way in.

With the Switch approach, they're saying, you can take your gaming experience with you out of the home. Bar the streaming services which would rely on a strong internet connection, you can't really say the same with Sony/MS. Nintendo's job is now to make use of that difference.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

That's like saying a processor just adds up numbers. Anyone can add up numbers.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

On 12/30/2016 at 7:01 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Since when have we cared about ports on Nintendo anyway though?  No one buys a Nintendo console hoping to play the latest AAA games... it's for first party Nintendo games and that's it...

nintendo Should care Since ability to play AAA Games can help massively for people to justify buying it. Many who only own 1 console this Wont be chosen for the majority of people if it doesnt have AAA. Yes there are the few just like who bought the WII U who just wanted the exclusives but that didnt go well. and the WII Had some weird gimiicky succuess that even grandma wanted to play bowling on it so AAA was not as important. 

4 hours ago, porina said:

[removed]

What would you rather have? The different game play styles of the Switch, and possibly be limited largely to first party games, or would you rather have a console that has great first party support along with great third party support?

The major limiting factor here is the power of the console. It's not as strong as its competitors and that's going to hurt it. I am doubtful the developers will try porting games over to the Switch when they can just put the games on the PS4 and Xbox One, and be done with it. 

Whether or not you agree, Nintendo needs to make their consoles competitive with Sony and Microsoft when it comes to power, or they're not going to get much third party support. And honestly, it looks they're trying to. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

33 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What would you rather have? The different game play styles of the Switch, and possibly be limited largely to first party games, or would you rather have a console that has great first party support along with great third party support?

I'm not an average gamer, then again, is there such a thing? I'm primarily a mix of PC and mobile (including DS), and only very recently did I get a PS4 at all as there is almost nothing of interest to me on PS4/XB1 that I can't get on PC anyway. So in that respect, a console gets my attention if it offers me something that I don't have right now. I got PS4 for FFXV, and will later go PSVR (on top of my Vive). So there is still a selling point there. XB1 in comparison... irrelevant.

Where I see the Switch's potential strength is leading higher end mobile gaming. I don't care it wont play (#insert generic FPS game here) if they have something new and different on offer.

The major limiting factor here is the power of the console. It's not as strong as its competitors and that's going to hurt it. I am doubtful the developers will try porting games over to the Switch when they can just put the games on the PS4 and Xbox One, and be done with it. 

I still think that is the wrong mindset. They're not trying to be just another copy of the established duo, where they would certainly lose.

Whether or not you agree, Nintendo needs to make their consoles competitive with Sony and Microsoft when it comes to power, or they're not going to get much third party support. And honestly, it looks they're trying to. 

They will be the most powerful portable gaming platform (laptops don't count). It will be interesting to see where that goes.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 12/31/2016 at 7:04 PM, Misanthrope said:

So that's number 1) for you?

Honestly I feel that's the most honest answer of the pair but riddle me this: Being honest to yourself, is there any games where you'd go "This is only possible on a Nintendo console" when you know the PC is thriving with indie game and new experiences?

Even if you argue for motion controls it seems like if that's your thing (and it's extremely not my thing) the Vive on the PC is far more compelling wouldn't you say?

It leaves Nintendo with their first party titles and distinctly Japanese touch which is something, but not enough to sustain the kind of profits they have accomplished in the past.

I'm not big on motion controls either but I think that argument is more valid than you give it credit.  Why?  Because the wii controls were accessible and inexpensive.  You were basically forced to use them in most games, and they were $35.  The games weren't great, but pretty good.  The vive and rift are neither of those things.

I wouldn't say there are any games that couldn't be made on pc but the market doesn't seem to be doing that, especially for 3ds games.

Imo what Nintendo has going for them is their drive to actually be a unique console.  Sony and Microsoft are making shitty PCs.  I already have a great PC so why would I get a xbone or ps4?  Nintendo offers me what I can't get on PC.(yes I know you can do it with dolphin and w/e) there's nothing that needs to be Nintendo exclusive, but it is so I buy Nintendo.

They've also got accessibility down.  I can buy games for my dad on Wii/Wii u.  While xbone and ps4 is saturated with desert shooters and corridor shooters.  My dad isn't going to play what the other consoles have to offer.  He's terrible at games and doesn't want to play piss filter fps games.  His options are limited to Nintendo at best.

Imo if they can make a good pokemon game for the switch they'll be in the black forever.

It feels like Nintendo makes well polished indie games for people who aren't that great at video games, but people like you and me can still enjoy.  That feeling still hasn't quite hit the pc indie market yet.  Cause we both know indie games might be good and fun, but they certainly aren't polished.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

9 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

I'm not big on motion controls either but I think that argument is more valid than you give it credit.  Why?  Because the wii controls were accessible and inexpensive.  You were basically forced to use them in most games, and they were $35.  The games weren't great, but pretty good.  The vive and rift are neither of those things.

I wouldn't say there are any games that couldn't be made on pc but the market doesn't seem to be doing that, especially for 3ds games.

Imo what Nintendo has going for them is their drive to actually be a unique console.  Sony and Microsoft are making shitty PCs.  I already have a great PC so why would I get a xbone or ps4?  Nintendo offers me what I can't get on PC.(yes I know you can do it with dolphin and w/e) there's nothing that needs to be Nintendo exclusive, but it is so I buy Nintendo.

They've also got accessibility down.  I can buy games for my dad on Wii/Wii u.  While xbone and ps4 is saturated with desert shooters and corridor shooters.  My dad isn't going to play what the other consoles have to offer.  He's terrible at games and doesn't want to play piss filter fps games.  His options are limited to Nintendo at best.

Imo if they can make a good pokemon game for the switch they'll be in the black forever.

It feels like Nintendo makes well polished indie games for people who aren't that great at video games, but people like you and me can still enjoy.  That feeling still hasn't quite hit the pc indie market yet.  Cause we both know indie games might be good and fun, but they certainly aren't polished.

Not sure on your angle on the motion controls since well those don't mix with a tablet and this is the second tablet-like console they're making.

But other than that yes I do see Nintendo being able to position themselves with well polished indies, it's what made them big in the NES era after all (after the earlier 80s game crash most game developers where small enough to be considered indies by modern standards) but well back then they had no competition, today they have to make a compelling case to move indie devs away from the PC...which goes directly to the title of this thread: If the console is hard to port to by indie devs it better damn be easy to develop ground up otherwise indie devs would go "Looks interesting...but PC is easier and we can make our buck on Steam"

That is not to say that I give much credit to the thread for indies since while the horsepower to port from consoles directly might not be there, it certainly is enough to port from PC and just eat a bit of performance that should still be sufficient for your averate 2D experiences and simplistic artsy graphics of indie games.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't know if anyone can move smaller devs away from the cesspool of steam

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers