CryEngine vs Unreal Engine

KingGamer
Go to solution Solved by MzCatieB,
1 minute ago, KingGamer said:

Thx

Do you know a forum where i can find people ready to help my at my project? Or people who are ready to collaborate?

the https://forums.unrealengine.com/ is your best bet...
May not be heavily active but they respond well

Just want to know the benefits of each in some aspects

1) Performance/ Api´s i can use

2) royality, licensing

3) Which one is better for an open world survivial game with multiplayer

4) do they have dedicated server i can rent

5) which one would u recommend me

UE4:
Easy programmable and adjustable performance. API is good
Royalty is 5% after $3k per quarter
UE4 has clean active level streaming that is easy to setup and is already used for many open world MMO's (Ark is one example)
You can create your own dedicated server (My current project with work we have 1 active for testing purposes)

CryEngine:
Coding is straight forward but hard to optimise
is royalty free but requires a membership £45 per person a month
Has good visuals but isnt open world orientated as well (IF you do it correctly it looks stunning but performance is iffy)
You can setup Custom servers but im not a network programmer

I would recommend UE4 cause their is more resources available, its easier to learn, is FREE (other than royalties which is a tiny percent), Able to be setup for multiple people on 1 project at different locations, Visually stunning and is easy to pick up.

Note:
I have 8 years industry training and 3 years industry experience under my belt currently

Character artist in the Games industry.

15 minutes ago, KingGamer said:

Just want to know the benefits of each in some aspects

1) Performance/ Api´s i can use

Both should perform fine. Unreal Engine supports more devices and OSes.

But CryEngine Is just fine imho and plans on supporting Vulkan and DX12

2) royality, licensing

CryEngine has better licensing. It's pay what you want and there's a paid asset store where CryTek get 30% of all asset purchases.

3) Which one is better for an open world survivial game with multiplayer

Both are quite fine. I've personally played games which were made using both. The end result has looked better in my experience when using CryEngine since some CryEngine games look really damn good.

4) do they have dedicated server i can rent

For what?

5) which one would u recommend me

If you're not too attached to Unreal Engine then CryEngine is a good option.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

44 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Both should perform fine. Unreal Engine supports more devices and OSes.

But CryEngine Is just fine imho and plans on supporting Vulkan and DX12

CryEngine has better licensing. It's pay what you want and there's a paid asset store where CryTek get 30% of all asset purchases.

Both are quite fine. I've personally played games which were made using both. The end result has looked better in my experience when using CryEngine since some CryEngine games look really damn good.

For what?

If you're not too attached to Unreal Engine then CryEngine is a good option.

Server for online games

48 minutes ago, Pixxie_Payne said:

UE4:
UE4 has clean active level streaming that is easy to setup and is already used for many open world MMO's (Ark is one example)
You can create your own dedicated server (My current project with work we have 1 active for testing purposes)

CryEngine:
Has good visuals but isnt open world orientated as well (IF you do it correctly it looks stunning but performance is iffy)

I would recommend UE4 cause their is more resources available, its easier to learn, is FREE (other than royalties which is a tiny percent), Able to be setup for multiple people on 1 project at different locations, Visually stunning and is easy to pick up.

Note:
I have 8 years industry training and 3 years industry experience under my belt currently

Thx

Do you know a forum where i can find people ready to help my at my project? Or people who are ready to collaborate?

1 minute ago, KingGamer said:

Thx

the https://forums.unrealengine.com/ is your best bet...
May not be heavily active but they respond well

Character artist in the Games industry.

1 hour ago, Pixxie_Payne said:

UE4:

CryEngine:

Note:

As a game programmer? Hmm, I might need a reference in a couple years when I come back to the States.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd