[Rumor] Zen Can OC To 5GHz on Air

patrickjp93

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-processors-reach-5-ghz-on-air,2.html

Nothing else really to say. If this is true (which buildzoid claims is unlikely), it will likely be NH-D15 territory only and very rarely.

Spoiler

"I'll just use this comment to say this since it's relevant to me.

I don't have a Zen but I know people who do.

I continue to stand by my comment about 5G not happening on air without too much voltage. This doesn't disprove the statement of ZenOC@Air=5G however I wouldn't get your hopes up because we don't know how many cores or volts actually managed that clock. (my sources never gave me absolute max clock just that it does about X.X for daily use)

For all those wondering about X.X. Well lets just say that I am pleased with 

X.X."

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

But will it be stable

I doubt many active cores. Unless its a unicorn chip, I dont see the first iteration of Zen being able to dish out astonishing clock rates.

I build PCs as a hobby. 

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yep there's no way the full 8 core model is going to even boost to 5GHz, not standard. Also slightly late, already mentioned on the other Zen thread but buried way the hell in there.

It's only important news if I post it anyway.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Zen is looking more impressive than I expected and it looks like it has a decent TIM on the IHS if this is anything to go by.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 minute ago, Carclis said:

Zen is looking more impressive than I expected and it looks like it has a decent TIM on the IHS if this is anything to go by.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 8-core dies are soldered. They're larger dies than Intel's 8-core HEDT chips after all. It's only when you get below 200 mm sq. that you can't solder without either melting or breaking the dies under thermal shock. The dies have become thinner as process tech has matured and wafer cutting & transport have gotten better. That's why both Intel and AMD stopped using solder on their quad cores years ago.

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the 8-core dies are soldered. They're larger dies than Intel's 8-core HEDT chips after all. It's only when you get below 200 mm sq. that you can't solder without either melting or breaking the dies under thermal shock. The dies have become thinner as process tech has matured and wafer cutting & transport have gotten better. That's why both Intel and AMD stopped using solder on their quad cores years ago.

Wouldn't they likely be based off the same die though? Isn't that true for the 6800k and 6950x? That would mean that the die is the same size and it should be consistent across the board.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

13 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Wouldn't they likely be based off the same die though? Isn't that true for the 6800k and 6950x? That would mean that the die is the same size and it should be consistent across the board.

No. The 6800K, 6850K, and 6900K are all 8-core dies, with the 6800/50 having 2 disabled. The 6950X is a 12-core die with 2 cores disabled. The mainstream chips are quad cores and dual cores with varying amounts of cache and hyper threading disabled. The mainstream quads are roughly 150mm sq. in size. The 8-core HEDT is roughly 220.

Wait, has AMD discovered a new model of physics? This sounds dubious getting to 5ghz on an 8 core chip on air. Now if they are talking 5ghz on air on the 4C 8T version then I'm more willing to throw less salt at it and even consider Ryzen over Kaby Lake for the final part of my build.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Why does AMD always have to raise hype with these official announcements? 

It's not an AMD announcement.

They never specified which chips were reaching 5GHZ people. On the 4c/8t version, ya I wouldn't doubt it at all. On the 8c/16t one, If they can reach 4.5-4.7Ghz on avg, I bet many many people would be pleased with that.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

So do we know when the review embargo for Ryzen is? I mean the only thing that's going to settle the hype machine is seeing reviews from the likes of Linus and other reputable reviewers.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

1 minute ago, DELTAprime said:

So do we know when the review embargo for Ryzen is? I mean the only thing that's going to settle the hype machine is seeing reviews from the likes of Linus and other reputable reviewers.

Tomorrow. That's also when I step up as a moderator and have to stop biting people's heads off. Sigh...

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

In that case,

Hide contents

fuck you!

I was more aiming for 

Spoiler

@SomeMod WTF?! HIM?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! THAT'S IT I'M DONE!!!

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

You've honestly surprised me Patrick. Not too many people understand this, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

You've honestly surprised me Patrick. Not too many people understand this, lol. 

Seriously, the CS Cum Laude Graduate who's 1 class and a dissertation short of a Master's (in just 4 years) doesn't know the basics?

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Seriously, the CS Cum Laude Graduate who's 1 class and a dissertation short of a Master's (in just 4 years) doesn't know the basics?

Yup. Physics is hard yo.

Just now, MageTank said:

Yup. Physics is hard yo.

Not really. Aced Classical Mech, E&M 1, QM1. Honestly thermodynamics is the biggest bitch, but the basics of "silicon is fragile and hot things bend easier and thin things break easier and metal cools quickly but metaloids don't" are not lost on me.

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Wait till you get to the REAL quantum mechanics. That shit is trippy, 

It all boils down to Shrodinger's wave equation anyway at the end of the day. That and probability.

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Not really. Aced Classical Mech, E&M 1, QM1. Honestly thermodynamics is the biggest bitch, but the basics of "silicon is fragile and hot things bend easier and thin things break easier and metal cools quickly but metaloids don't" are not lost on me.

That's fine and dandy, but you will never be able to tell me why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Also, thermodynamics is easy peasy. Thermo = thermal, dynamics = change. Changing thermals. You are welcome.