Connecting HDD after computer has been turned on

Alir

No, but it may not appear in Windows (or whatever OS) unless the bays/ports are hotswappable. In general, it's advised to connect and remove non-hotswap drives when the system is off. 

I have a hotswap connection on my case which connects the drive using a regular sata power and sata data cable plug.

I have used this to connect many 2.5inch and 3.5inch drives in the past

only problem i see is that sometimes it doesnt detect my drive until i restart. 

since then i have also bought a sata+satapower to USB 3.0 adapter for my smaller 2.5inch drives for $6 CDN

thats like ....2 quid for you? spend that money

Photography / Finance / Gaming

5 minutes ago, Alir said:

Does this cause damage to the HDD?

You can setup your drive and sata port to be hot swap capable if you want to take out a drive when the system is on. I do that for one of my quick backup dump drives so it saves time and speeds things up. 

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

You can setup your drive and sata port to be hot swap capable if you want to take out a drive when the system is on. I do that for one of my quick backup dump drives so it saves time and speeds things up. 

How do you do this? I connected the cable to my hdd after I had turned the system on and the hdd was not detected

11 minutes ago, mok said:

I have a hotswap connection on my case which connects the drive using a regular sata power and sata data cable plug.

I have used this to connect many 2.5inch and 3.5inch drives in the past

only problem i see is that sometimes it doesnt detect my drive until i restart. 

since then i have also bought a sata+satapower to USB 3.0 adapter for my smaller 2.5inch drives for $6 CDN

thats like ....2 quid for you? spend that money

£10. Looks like I have no choice. this didnt work

1 minute ago, Alir said:

How do you do this? I connected the cable to my hdd after I had turned the system on and the hdd was not detected

You need to configure the drive and sata ports to be hot swappable within the BIOS and set it up in AHCI mode. Ideally you will want a hot swap drive caddy to be able to do this easily by just popping the drive in place. 

52 minutes ago, W-L said:

You need to configure the drive and sata ports to be hot swappable within the BIOS and set it up in AHCI mode. Ideally you will want a hot swap drive caddy to be able to do this easily by just popping the drive in place. 

Thanks!! You saved me £££. Times are hard with Brexit. :P

Gave you credit in the superuser thread.

Is there a disadvantage to a hot-swappable drive? Would it be bad to make all my SATA ports hot-swappable?

10 minutes ago, Alir said:

Is there a disadvantage to a hot-swappable drive? Would it be bad to make all my SATA ports hot-swappable?

It might ask you to reformat the drive if it's not in the correct format but unless your doing a hot swap there isn't a need but shouldn't affect it negatively at all.