WeMo power switch questions.

So I'm planning on picking up a WeMo power switch from best buy but I was wondering two things.

A: can it power a light switch, 3 puck lights, and an Xbox one? (I'd assume so, and maybe a TV too)

B: so my Xbox one turns on if I unplug the power and plug it back in alwhen it's on so it acts the opposite of a PC but I was wondering would it be a bad idea to shut the Xbox down through the WeMo outlet instead of doing it through the Xbox multiple times a day at the most?

If I remember correctly the WeMo switch is rated for between 10 and 15 amps so you should be good there. As for shutting down the Xbox I would have it on a seperate WeMo if possible since shutting down the TV and other stuff might not enjoy it even though your Xbox doesn't seem to mind.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If I remember correctly the WeMo switch is rated for between 10 and 15 amps so you should be good there. As for shutting down the Xbox I would have it on a seperate WeMo if possible since shutting down the TV and other stuff might not enjoy it even though your Xbox doesn't seem to mind.

Well really what I was curious about is if the Xbox will be damaged by shutting it down from the outlet instead of the switch/within the Xbox. Like how I normally wouldn't do that with my PC.

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Well really what I was curious about is if the Xbox will be damaged by shutting it down from the outlet instead of the switch/within the Xbox. Like how I normally wouldn't do that with my PC.

Ah, that I can't say for sure but I would say it's best to do it from the Xbox itself.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Ah, that I can't say for sure but I would say it's best to do it from the Xbox itself.

Alright thanks 

So I got a WeMo switch and I was wondering if it could power my whole setup without becoming a note 7 (I don't think it can), the setup consists of a 720p 28in tv, 2560x1080 29in ultra wide, light strip, 3 puck lights, Xbox 360, Xbox one, my PC (in Sig.), Water dancing speakers, and a Ethernet switch. 

The real question: Why would you want to just cut power to your pc? I mean, doesn't that kind of kill it? As well as the xbox's.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

you should be good the WeMo switch is basically just a pass through no electricity is really limited by it. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

4 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

So I got a WeMo switch and I was wondering if it could power my whole setup without becoming a note 7 (I don't think it can), the setup consists of a 720p 28in tv, 2560x1080 29in ultra wide, light strip, 3 puck lights, Xbox 360, Xbox one, my PC (in Sig.), Water dancing speakers, and a Ethernet switch. 

Actually now looking at it it says 15 amps 120 Volts fore in and out and that seems the same as the standard outlet 

He's a pic

1483046341299-271296789.jpg

1 minute ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

The real question: Why would you want to just cut power to your pc? I mean, doesn't that kind of kill it? As well as the xbox's.

I'd shut the PC down normally, same with Xbox.

Needs more Jigawatts!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

I'd shut the PC down normally, same with Xbox.

Then why do you need to run them through the wemo? I mean, isn't that the point of the wemo?

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

2 minutes ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Then why do you need to run them through the wemo? I mean, isn't that the point of the wemo?

Well I guess :l

1 hour ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

I'd run them off a UPS that's plugged into the Wemo. That way your PC can at least shut off gracefully rather than just having the power cut suddenly.

Randomly turning off the power to your PC is a really bad idea since your OS does stuff in the background while your not using it and could lead to corrupt data and corrupt system files. And that's assuming it isn't doing some kind of system upgrade when power is cut.

These risks are less likely with modern journaled filesystems but they still do exist.