Tesla Predicts Accident and Gives Warning Before It Happens

vorticalbox
Go to solution Solved by NumLock21,

Watch from beginning to 1:55

13 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

Just to make sure it's clear, adoption rate is not related to the rate at which technology progresses. But, we can still see that adoption rates of technology is increasing https://hbr.org/2013/11/the-pace-of-technology-adoption-is-speeding-up

According to that link, the rate of adoption for automotive has been decreasing for many years and is actually starting to go a little negative.

Remember the rate of adoption is not about percentage of adoption but about how fast the percentage increases.

It's also why I was saying there are many factors as not all technologies progress at the same rate which is clearly demonstrated in that graph.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

receives SMS of a incoming earthquake - jumps out of the window, forgets he's not at the ground floor, breaks leg

true story

ps: not me

11 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

According to that link, the rate of adoption for automotive has been decreasing for many years and is actually starting to go a little negative.

Remember the rate of adoption is not about percentage of adoption but about how fast the percentage increases.

It's also why I was saying there are many factors as not all technologies progress at the same rate which is clearly demonstrated in that graph.

The chart from the NYT is just looking at the rate of adoption for technology, correct, but the chart from MIT isn't. The NYT chart just demostrates that market saturation exists for products, but in no way does it show the rate of adoption (before approaching market saturation) is slowing down. If you read the text of the article it clearly states otherwise. 

No one has argued that all technology progress at the same rate, but instead we've argued that technology is increasing at an exponential rate (as demonstrated by the MIT paper). Regrding adoption rate, we can also see that the rate of adoption is increasing (again, not all at the same rate) in the HBR article. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

i'm just waiting for the day where letting humans drive will be illegal, leave the driving to real pros who do it for a living in the race tracks

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

Honestly? At a certain point we shouldn't be allowed to. I can see it happening in 70 years that you can no longer get a license, and that people who can still drive are those with special permits or people who got grandfathered in by having it before.

I enjoy driving on mountain roads (why I drive manual), so I'd probably be among the first hauled to jail in such a circumstance. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

26 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I enjoy driving on mountain roads (why I drive manual), so I'd probably be among the first hauled to jail in such a circumstance. 

What does having a manual transmission have to do with mountain roads?  I'm confused..  

Is manual better for that somehow?

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Can it predict when the driver will have brown pants?

It's not prediction anymore, it's called spying

45 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

It's not prediction anymore, it's called spying

why is it spying?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What does having a manual transmission have to do with mountain roads?  I'm confused..  

Manual is better for everything. :)

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

For windy, steep ascents, I'd prefer to hold a certain speed without the car shifting without my permission.  A manual is the better tool for my commutes. 

Edit: funnily enough, the manual actually gets slightly worse highway economy than the automatic. This is due to the shorter final drive ratio, trading mpg for wheel torque with the same engine (higher rpm in 5th gear than the overdrive gear in the auto). City economy in the manual demolishes the auto though. 

My eyes see the past…

4 hours ago, Enderman said:

Too bad it doesn't predict it 1 hour in advance...

Exactly! Now you can bet that as these predictions become more and more accurate, some dumb idiot will decide to sue Tesla for it, because it didn't warn them of the accident, while they were in a non-tesla car. 

I pretty much have no faith in humanity at this point...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 hours ago, sazrocks said:

Yet Teslas are not fully autonomous, even though you seem to claim they are. 

They claim the exact opposite. They are very clear that the car is not ready to be unsupervised. The fully autonomous software is scheduled to come at the end of 2017. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

53 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

They claim the exact opposite. They are very clear that the car is not ready to be unsupervised. The fully autonomous software is scheduled to come at the end of 2017. 

I know, that's why I said what I said. I'm not talking to Elon Musk.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

8 hours ago, sazrocks said:

Yet Teslas are not fully autonomous,

The new v2 hardware is.

IT just isn't public beta yet.

Lets be fair, if you were paying attention to the road you would have seen that accident coming. I noticed it before the warning sounds went off in the car, and if you are an observant driver you would have too.

Not to dismiss the technology at play here (because it truly is amazing what they are doing), but it still isn't even close to replacing people driving. Maybe all the systems will get there someday, but there is still a ways to go.

Regardless, even if it does become safer than most humans I will not be using it. I enjoy driving so why would I want to stop doing it? Self-driving tech is for people that buy cars like they buy appliances, and not for enthusiasts. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

In my lovely country (/s) you must pay for the right to drive your car for 10 years. After which it must be scrapped. This applies to each individual vehicle, and at times the amount you got to pay gets close to the car's full retail price. Yes this has already been in effect for the past decade or so. 

Also our great leaders here is balls deep in oil, making it a little less 'convenient'  to own electric cars.

What country may that be? 

My eyes see the past…

2 hours ago, Arty said:

The new v2 hardware is.

IT just isn't public beta yet.

10 hours ago, sazrocks said:

Yet Teslas are not fully autonomous

As in, right now.

But as for the video that you showed, that's freaking amazing. I'm just not convinced that it will handle all situations better than a human.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

2 hours ago, Masada02 said:

Lets be fair, if you were paying attention to the road you would have seen that accident coming. I noticed it before the warning sounds went off in the car, and if you are an observant driver you would have too.

Not to dismiss the technology at play here (because it truly is amazing what they are doing), but it still isn't even close to replacing people driving. Maybe all the systems will get there someday, but there is still a ways to go.

Regardless, even if it does become safer than most humans I will not be using it. I enjoy driving so why would I want to stop doing it? Self-driving tech is for people that buy cars like they buy appliances, and not for enthusiasts. 

Though i some what agree except that a lot of drivers don't pay attention hence crash rates are rather high. In the USA and Europe the roads aren't that bad but over in India the roads are much more manic I don't see the system doing all that well.

The new radar technology is also getting better as explained in the article, it can see through fog and can be bounced around the car in front and see the car in front if that.

These sorts of systems have the advantage of being able to see everywhere at once.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

That is actually amazing, how to further blow my mind

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

4 hours ago, Masada02 said:

Well I tend to disagree. All new cars today, for a while actually, have traction control and electronic stability control which has been well proven to prevent or lessen the impact of crashes and most importantly prevent rollovers which significantly increase the likelihood of mortality. We are not highly trained experts in car control and car makers know this which is why most cars have no way to fully turn these systems off, not completely off. Anyone who actually thinks they are without having gone through the training is ignorant to their skills as a driver.

When it comes to attentiveness and fine grained control us humans can't even compare to computers. We can ingest, analyze and interpret more data as a whole but due to this massive amount our brains fill in gaps or tune stuff out. So in a pure forward facing collision warning comparison between a human and a computer statistically the computer will always win, a margin that will only increase. Human driving ability isn't getting better, car safety and road safety is. 

What was shown in the video wasn't self-driving and the breaks were not applied by the car when the warning sounded (check indicated speed for proof), not yet. Volvo, Mercedes etc has similar collision warning systems and auto breaking but they cannot detect past the car in front, not yet. Everyone keeps jumping to the self-driving car point since yes Tesla is pushing that research very hard but this very same research can also be used as driver aids as shown, with you driving.

Also yes I saw the second car in front apply it's breaks, looking past the car directly in front is something I do and this is exactly why. The warning only sounds when the car thinks you have not reacted properly to the situation in front of you, the sensors were monitoring that car well before then looking at it's relative speed/acceleration and distance.

I would also like to be able to drive my car well in to the future but it would be nice to know that the car I'm in and others around me won't allow a crash, even if we tried.

Edit:

The only place you should be able to turn every driver aid completely and fully off is on a race track, track days exist for a reason.

7 hours ago, sazrocks said:

As in, right now.

But as for the video that you showed, that's freaking amazing. I'm just not convinced that it will handle all situations better than a human.

Maybe not yet, but eventually they will

19 hours ago, Commodus said:

This is why it's always weird when someone says "but I don't trust a computer to drive me!"

Yes, current self-driving systems have bugs, and we're likely several years or more away from autonomous cars that can handle any situation.  But it's pretty clear that this tech will ultimately be safer overall -- better to have a rare glitch cause a collision than to smack into someone simply because they're a terrible driver. 

The problem isn't the computer itself, it's how easy it can be to hack your way into them and then control whatever you would like. Until the government begins running its own servers with extreme protection, the vulnerability is there and that vulnerability will be higher than it has been with current cars.

17 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

i'm just waiting for the day where letting humans drive will be illegal, leave the driving to real pros who do it for a living in the race tracks

I disagree, why should a certain person be able to do something but I can't? 

Why should I be allowed to build pcs if there are pc builders who do it for a living and might be better than me. 

Some people enjoy driving and doing things for themselves. I'd feel very lazy if I had someone (or something) drive me around all day and I sit there sippin on a pop 

1 hour ago, Wolther said:

I disagree, why should a certain person be able to do something but I can't? 

Why should I be allowed to build pcs if there are pc builders who do it for a living and might be better than me. 

Some people enjoy driving and doing things for themselves. I'd feel very lazy if I had someone (or something) drive me around all day and I sit there sippin on a pop 

want to drive? rent a race track. Leave the roads to AI

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>