Tesla Predicts Accident and Gives Warning Before It Happens

vorticalbox
Go to solution Solved by NumLock21,

Watch from beginning to 1:55

A new video has surfaced however buttressing Musk’s arguments further, showing a Tesla vehicle accurately predicting an impending accident moments before taking place. In the video, the vehicle was able to give a warning sound off to the driver so they can react even before the vehicle in front collided with another and caused the wreckage. The new radar processing technology pushed as an update in September under Tesla 8.0 is credited with the successful accident avoidance in the video. Elon Musk explained the significance of this feature when it was announced in a press statement:

“In fact, an additional level of sophistication – we are confident that we can use the radar to look beyond the car in front of you by bouncing the radar signal off the road and around the car. We are able to process that echo by using the unique signature of each radar pulse as well as the time of flight of the photon to determine that what we are seeing is in fact an echo in front of the car that’s in front of you.”

I have always said to my friends that computers are vastly better at driving than us. Here the car detects the accident before it happens and warns the driver. It's pretty amazing that we are seeing this sort of technology now and we get to see it. I hope was more time we can have more cars driving themselves.

Knowing what happens above has that changed your view on the technology? I personally still don't quite trust it.

http://www.eteknix.com/tesla-predicts-accident-gives-warning-happens-video/

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I have always said to my friends that computers are vastly better at driving than us. Here the car detects the accident before it happens and warns the driver. 

Monority report is now just a matter of time 

Too bad it doesn't predict it 1 hour in advance...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Can it predict when the driver will have brown pants?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

This is why it's always weird when someone says "but I don't trust a computer to drive me!"

Yes, current self-driving systems have bugs, and we're likely several years or more away from autonomous cars that can handle any situation.  But it's pretty clear that this tech will ultimately be safer overall -- better to have a rare glitch cause a collision than to smack into someone simply because they're a terrible driver. 

5 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Long as I can drive my car, I'm fine with the co-esisxance. 

Honestly? At a certain point we shouldn't be allowed to. I can see it happening in 70 years that you can no longer get a license, and that people who can still drive are those with special permits or people who got grandfathered in by having it before.

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Honestly? At a certain point we shouldn't be allowed to. I can see it happening in 70 years that you can no longer get a license, and that people who can still drive are those with special permits or people who got grandfathered in by having it before.

What a time to be alive.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

14 minutes ago, Commodus said:

This is why it's always weird when someone says "but I don't trust a computer to drive me!"

Yes, current self-driving systems have bugs, and we're likely several years or more away from autonomous cars that can handle any situation.  But it's pretty clear that this tech will ultimately be safer overall -- better to have a rare glitch cause a collision than to smack into someone simply because they're a terrible driver. 

Because, while in this circumstance, it helped keep the driver safe, other times it has caused accidents. The system, while awesome for some situations, currently has massive gaps, and is nots suitable for fully autonomous driving, and why for a long time we will still need human oversight to fill in those gaps.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

14 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

IT will take a lot less then 70 years before free driving on roads is illegal. At most 20 years.

We went from having no self-driving cars at all to self-driving cars that are already safer then humans in a few years.

7 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Because, while in this circumstance, it helped keep the driver safe, other times it has caused accidents. The system, while awesome for some situations, currently has massive gaps, and is nots suitable for fully autonomous driving, and why for a long time we will still need human oversight to fill in those gaps.

Humans wish that human error had only caused 2 lethal accidents in a year. In the time that Teslas with autopilot have been on the road, 1.3 million people died in car accidents.

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

IT will take a lot less then 70 years before free driving on roads is illegal. At most 20 years.

It took about forty years for cars to pretty much completely replace horses, don't underestimate those reluctant towards change. Another thing to note is price as we really don't know how expensive this technology will be which plays a big role in North America considering public transport isn't as big here.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

So in 20 years it will be illegal to drive a car older than about 10 years? Not gonna happen.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

It took about forty years for cars to pretty much completely replace horses, don't underestimate those reluctant towards change. Another thing to note is price as we really don't know how expensive this technology will be which plays a big role in North America considering public transport isn't as big here.

technology moves at a much higher rate nowadays.

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

So in 20 years it will be illegal to drive a car older than about 10 years? Not gonna happen.

1. You dont need to have a new car to have a self-driving car. There's projects with plans to turn any existing vehicule into a self-driving card. And you can bet your ass most car makers will have self driving vehicules by 2021.

6 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

We went from having no self-driving cars at all to self-driving cars that are already safer then humans in a few years.

Humans wish that human error had only caused 2 lethal accidents in a year. In the time that Teslas with autopilot have been on the road, 1.3 million people died in car accidents.

Last time I checked, Teslas weren't 100% of all cars driving

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

3 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

1. You dont need to have a new car to have a self-driving car. There's projects with plans to turn any existing vehicule into a self-driving card. And you can bet your ass most car makers will have self driving vehicules by 2021.

Cars that don't have computers in them already? I seriously doubt those will ever become self driving.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

How can you say that when you weren't even alive then to comprehend the technological changes of that time period? How do you even measure technological changes?

There are so many factors and different perceptions at play that you can't just say general statements like that.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

5 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Last time I checked, Teslas weren't 100% of all cars driving

that's some pretty hardcore napkin math but in september 2015, Tesla announced that they had sold 100 000 units. That puts it at 2 death/100k, that makes it 5 times less deadly then human driving.

I'd love me a Telsa but damn expensive at the moment. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

16 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

How can you say that when you weren't even alive then to comprehend the technological changes of that time period? How do you even measure technological changes?

There are so many factors and different perceptions at play that you can't just say general statements like that.

The historical data shows a strong tendency, across different types of technologies, toward constant exponential growth rates. Recent work, however, has demonstrated super-exponential improvement for information technologies over long time spans.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0052669

Since the growth is exponential, it means the rate of growth increases very rapidly over time. 

EDIT: Also, props to MIT for all their great open access publish work, nothing annoys me more than closed source journal articles that I can't share. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

35 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

that's some pretty hardcore napkin math but in september 2015, Tesla announced that they had sold 100 000 units. That puts it at 2 death/100k, that makes it 5 times less deadly then human driving.

Yet Teslas are not fully autonomous, even though you seem to claim they are.  Another statistic to look at is the driver. Typically, someone who's driving a tesla is going to be a bit older (in order to afford one), and thus more experienced. Not to mention traffic conditions vary wildly worldwide.

In other words, Teslas are not a good metric for the safety of self driving cars as they are not fully autonomous, and even if they were our sample size is not large enough and there are other factors we have not considered.

edit: idk what happened with the text size, it is unintentional.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

32 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

But the 25 year law allows any car in stock config to drive on the roadway even if it fails to meet current standards. I can see some roadways be self driving only but not all, that is ridiculous.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

20 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0052669

Since the growth is exponential, it means the rate of growth increases very rapidly over time. 

EDIT: Also, props to MIT for all their great open access publish work, nothing annoys me more than closed source journal articles that I can't share. 

What about adoption rate though?

4 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

What about adoption rate though?

Just to make sure it's clear, adoption rate is not related to the rate at which technology progresses. But, we can still see that adoption rates of technology is increasing https://hbr.org/2013/11/the-pace-of-technology-adoption-is-speeding-up

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

A lot of people arguing about autonomous driving are missing the actual point of the feature shown in the video. This is a driver aid, a collision warning even when wrong is better than none at all. If you overreact to a collision warning and crash because of it you were being inattentive in the first place and a bad driver. When you are driving you should always be aware of your surroundings but can miss something or not see it quickly/clearly enough to know you need to react right then and any delay is too late.

I myself got hit by a car rolling out of a driveway because the owner forgot to put the handbrake/e-brake on, radar would have spotted it where I did not. I was driving round a corner with a dual entry intersection from a car park, looking to my other side at a house's driveway was the least on my concern yet at that single point in time it was.

Edit:

And yes I did see it but too late.