Do you agree with nVidia's GPU pricing... - IT HAS DOUBLED!

WhiteSkyMage
4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The GTX 1070 costs around $400. I know you were referencing the GTX 980Ti price.

The GTX 980 (and the 980Ti for that matter) was overpriced as shit.

I wouldn't be surprised if next year's GTX 1160 is similar to a GTX 1070 for $200-250.

Eh, I like the 970s pricing of last year's flagship performance at ~$330. I think the 1070 is a little high but IMO $250 is a lil low to charge.

5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

And I want one. Mainly because my room is too cold c:

Come here to Los Angeles. Where people wear t-shirts during winter.

Spoiler

Fine ok most people don't wear t-shirts during winter but nobody wears big coats or anything. It's just people with long sleeve shirts and a jacket. That's it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, App4that said:

But you see how the manufacturers can't win, right? Too big a jump and the snowflakes without the money for new hardware get pissed, and too small a jump and the snowflakes with too much money get pissed. 

Plus this feeds the console media machine that you have to upgrade a PC every year. And make developers lazy as they don't have to optimize, just let the stronger hardware pick up the slack. Look at the games that have launched since Pascal and Polaris. 

You crazy boi

Fine. I guess i'll just have to wait for a $200 GPU which performs like a GTX 1070.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Fine. I guess i'll just have to wait for a $200 GPU which performs like a GTX 1070.

Yeah and then it won't be able to hold 60fps at the standard resolution, just like a 1070 isn't enough for 60fps in Dues Ex, WatchDogs 2, or Dishonored 2.

We need developers to properly use the cards we have, way more than we need stronger card that won't matter if the developers don't optimize.  

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yeah and then it won't be able to hold 60fps at the standard resolution, just like a 1070 isn't enough for 60fps in Dues Ex, WatchDogs 2, or Dishonored 2.

We need developers to properly use the cards we have, way more than we need stronger card that won't matter if the developers don't optimize.  

Well I'm sorry but I'm still stuck on a 700 series Nvidia GPU. I'm waiting for a suitable performance jump before getting a new GPU. I'm looking for around GTX 1070 performance.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well I'm sorry but I'm still stuck on a 700 series Nvidia GPU. I'm waiting for a suitable performance jump before getting a new GPU. I'm looking for around GTX 1070 performance.

I'm confused as to how that's a bad thing. The idea is to get as much out of our kit as possible, not be forced to upgrade. 

I'm confused as to how that's a bad thing. The idea is to get as much out of our kit as possible, not be forced to upgrade. 

I want to buy a new GPU since Nvidia are being dicks and calling my GPU "legacy" and not supporting it properly.

I want better performance and better efficiency couldn't hurt.

Do you agree with the pricing currently?

No, but AMD doesn't have a 1070 equivalent and I have a G-Sync monitor so I don't really have a choice.

Actually, most of the custom RX 480 8GBs and GTX 1060 6GBs hit almost $300, which should be the price point level of another tier card. I think that's what OP is saying...

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I want to buy a new GPU since Nvidia are being dicks and calling my GPU "legacy" and not supporting it properly.

Maybe you should go AMD next time then since I think they're still supporting the 7000 series so...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, roughavoc said:

Do you agree with the pricing currently?

No.

1 minute ago, roughavoc said:

but AMD doesn't have a 1070 equivalent

Exactly what I am waiting for. Except hopefully It will be cheaper than a 10780 1070 :P.

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Maybe you should go AMD next time then since I think they're still supporting the 7000 series so...

That's what I'm thinking of doing. It's a little hard to do when AMD doesn't offer a 1070 competitor which is new. The only competitor they have to it is the R9 Fury X but that's old.

Anything not being produced any longer is Legacy. Doesn't mean a thing. 

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah that would make sense if AMD hadn't ignored Hawaii with Forza Horison 3 so badly that it got half the fps as a 970 and 480. 

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

No.

Exactly what I am waiting for. Except hopefully It will be cheaper than a 10780 1070 :P.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. It's a little hard to do when AMD doesn't offer a 1070 competitor which is new. The only competitor they have to it is the R9 Fury X but that's old.

Vega should be coming soon though. Hopefully AMD will price the flagship lower so that Nvidia will be forced to price the 1080 ti ~$650. All hopes and dreams though :/ 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Anything not being produced any longer is Legacy.

Nope. No longer being produced is discontinued.

Doesn't mean a thing. 

Their driver support claims it is a legacy GPU and thus it no longer received optimizations.

Yeah that would make sense if AMD hadn't ignored Hawaii with Forza Horison 3 so badly that it got half the fps as a 970 and 480. 

IDEK.........

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Hopefully AMD will price the flagship lower so that Nvidia will be forced to price the 1080 ti ~$650. All hopes and dreams though :/ 

I'm just sick and tired of new GPUs costing more and more every year. AMD on the other hand is just keeping prices the same.

Hopefully AMD does release a Vega at $300-$350 to push the RX 480s back to their normal $200-$250 point.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Nope. No longer being produced is discontinued.

Their driver support claims it is a legacy GPU and thus it no longer received optimizations.

IDEK.........

I'm just sick and tired of new GPUs costing more and more every year. AMD on the other hand is just keeping prices the same.

The rest is bs but it's clear you won't see that so moving on to the bs in bold.

A R9 390 cost 300 damn dollar, a top of the line RX 480 gets pretty close to 300 damn dollars. They perform the same...

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

The rest is bs but it's clear you won't see that so moving on to the bs in bold.

A R9 390 cost 300 damn dollar, a top of the line RX 480 gets pretty close to 300 damn dollars. They perform the same...

That's how it goes nowadays, sad really. Even the GTX 980s when the GTX 1060 came out. It should've been like $300.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Hopefully AMD does release a Vega at $300-$350 to push the RX 480s back to their normal $200-$250 point.

My guess is:

Vega 11: Full GPU between 1080 and 1080 ti

Cut GPU around or slightly under 1080

Vega 10: Full GPU between 1070 and 1080

Cut GPU above 1060 and below 1070

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, YoloSwag said:

That's how it goes nowadays, sad really. Even the GTX 980s when the GTX 1060 came out. It should've been like $300.

If the RX 480 cost the same as a 380, brother has a point. look at how much a 980ti cost, 600-700 bucks. Now a 1070 for 400 performs the same. AMD hasn't done anything like that. 

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Vega 10:

Cut GPU above 1060 and below 1070

This is what I want!

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

If the RX 480 cost the same as a 380, brother has a point. look at how much a 980ti cost, 600-700 bucks. Now a 1070 for 400 performs the same. AMD hasn't done anything like that. 

that's because the RX 480 is the successor to the R9 380. The R9 x80 series has always been priced at around $200.

You don't see the GTX 1080 being cheaper than the GTX 980 do you? No, of course not. Thus your argument is invalid.

This is what I want!

It'll probably be priced ~$300-350, by my own guesses.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yeah I remember back in the early days of bitcoin mining, people could get cheap 7950s and 7970s because a new generation game out 

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

This is what I want!

that's because the RX 480 is the successor to the R9 380. The R9 x80 series has always been priced at around $200.

You don't see the GTX 1080 being cheaper than the GTX 980 do you? No, of course not. Thus your argument is invalid.

No, a 380 was around 200. Even. For a 4g card. Worst case they hit 250. 

The 1080 performs like 980s in SLI. Yet costs as much as what a 980ti cost, which is 20% slower. So for the same money as before Pascal, you get a 20% jump in performance.

1 minute ago, YoloSwag said:

Yeah I remember back in the early days of bitcoin mining, people could get cheap 7950s and 7970s because a new generation game out 

And when the 290 and 290x came out, giving GTX 780 performance at $200 cheaper and the 290x always remaining the top GPU to buy until the 780 ti came.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm lost. Isn't the GTX 1080 the real successor to the GTX 980? so the launch price should be the same(???)

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

No, a 380 was around 200. Even. For a 4g card. Worst case they hit 250. 

The 1080 performs like 980s in SLI. Yet costs as much as what a 980ti cost, which is 20% slower. So for the same money as before Pascal, you get a 20% jump in performance.

To be fair an rx 480~same price as 380, and performs around 50-60% better.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler