kinda random but i need to remove the copper plate from a heatsink

James Wakeland

i need this copper plate for a diy project im working on but the plate seems to be fused to the aluminum base with the fins ontop of that.  please help if possible

2 minutes ago, James Wakeland said:

i need this copper plate for a diy project im working on but the plate seems to be fused to the aluminum base with the fins ontop of that.  please help if possible

what heatsink is it? Usually the copper plates are soldered or part of the main heatsink structure, trying to remove it is probably a lost cause without a cnc machine

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

what heatsink is it? Usually the copper plates are soldered or part of the main heatsink structure, trying to remove it is probably a lost cause without a cnc machine

it something my maintaince guy at work gave me he said its from an old server and was getting thrown away

$_1.JPG

imgres.jpg

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

imgres.jpg

You'd need some pretty heavy duty machinery to desolder it, you'd be better of just buying a copper plate.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

is it just solder? i have a butane torch that could get it red hot if that would help

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You'd need some pretty heavy duty machinery to desolder it, you'd be better of just buying a copper plate.

is it just solder? i have a butane torch that could get it red hot if that would help

5 minutes ago, James Wakeland said:

Not all soldering material is the same, I doubt heating up a heatsink is going to get you anywhere. I don't know for sure but it's possible that the copper part is more than what you can see, there may be heatpipes nested inside the heatsink and obviously that would make extraction basically impossible without a machine.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Not all soldering material is the same, I doubt heating up a heatsink is going to get you anywhere. I don't know for sure but it's possible that the copper part is more than what you can see, there may be heatpipes nested inside the heatsink and obviously that would make extraction basically impossible without a machine.

what about something like this? same? or would it be easier since there are spaces between the little fins?

71MEfr1McjL._SL1500_.jpg

What kind of project are you using it for?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, James Wakeland said:

what about something like this? same? or would it be easier since there are spaces between the little fins?

71MEfr1McjL._SL1500_.jpg

That would still be hard because of the heatpipes which are most likely embedded into the copper plate.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, Sauron said:
1 hour ago, Sauron said:

That would still be hard because of the heatpipes which are most likely embedded into the copper plate.

i got the cooper plate off the heatsink from the first pics just needed a lot of heat and it slid off.a nd im using it for part of a homemade water block. unless i find something better (thinner).