Help! Inconsistent GPU and FB usage causing micro stutters in ALL games

Go to solution Solved by ChaosCobra,

UPDATE: So as it turns out, after exhausting every possible hardware and software fix, it turned out that it was just the HDMI cable wasn't properly in the graphics card, don't know why that caused that sort of micro stuttering to happen, but it did... I can't believe it.

So randomly out of the blue one day, I turned on my PC, went to play rocket league and boom, I'm getting micro stutters consistently, about every 8th of a second or so.

The first thing I checked was my processor usage and none of the cores are maxing out, neither is the processor getting anywhere near it's max temp. Then I checked the card temp, no problems there. The card is at base clock, so there can't be any problems with overclocking. I also tested both RAM sticks individually and together and found nothing wrong with either of them. So then I decided that it could potentially be my HDD, seeing as it is quite old and full. I bought a new hybrid drive, and installed a fresh version of windows 10 onto it and to my surprise, this worked, this fixed the stuttering in games, however, once I turned my PC off to go to bed and came back to it a couple days later, the stutters returned. I thought perhaps a windows update caused this so I reformatted the drive and reinstalled windows clean, this did not fix the issue. I've also tried several drivers but to no avail. I've tried adaptive V sync, I've tried changing to max performance, I've tried upping prerendered frames etc. I'm completely running out of ideas as to what it could be, any help would be greatly appreciated! (Pictures shows what my GPU and FB usage look like when playing rocket league for even a short period of time)

PC Specs:rocket league.PNG
Core i7 5820k @ 3.9GHz

GTX 980 @ base settings

Gigabyte X99 UD5 motherboard

Corsair GS800 watt power supply

16GB of Corsair vengeance LED RAM @ 2667MHz

2TB Seagate SSHDD

Have you tried gaming off your iGPU on the 5820K ? Just to be sure its not your 980's fault.

2 minutes ago, GitGud said:

Have you tried gaming off your iGPU on the 5820K ? Just to be sure its not your 980's fault.

The 5820k doesn't have an iGPU actually, which I thought was interesting but hey, what can you do, Still, I'm fairly confident that it isn't the graphics cards fault especially as it seemed to be working absolutely fine after the initial fresh install of windows and also, another thing I forgot to mention is that when running heaven benchmark, these consistent drops do not occur, it's only when playing games.

I've tried a couple of times my GPU screw up when i turn on my PC, some of the problems are: It doesn't use VRam, Computer don't work properly after restart and GPU driver doesn't even load so i am forced to restart to get my driver, what I did was cut the power and make sure every bit of power was out of my computer, it fixed it :)

1 minute ago, GGWP1337 said:

I've tried a couple of times my GPU screw up when i turn on my PC, some of the problems are: It doesn't use VRam, Computer don't work properly after restart and GPU driver doesn't even load so i am forced to restart to get my driver, what I did was cut the power and make sure every bit of power was out of my computer, it fixed it :)

I've tried turning it off and unplugging from the wall and leaving it, I've also tried other wall sockets to make sure it wasn't something else drawing a lot of power from a particular part of the house and affecting the PC, but again, none of this worked :/

4 hours ago, ChaosCobra said:

I've tried turning it off and unplugging from the wall and leaving it, I've also tried other wall sockets to make sure it wasn't something else drawing a lot of power from a particular part of the house and affecting the PC, but again, none of this worked :/

Just a theory, but have you fiddled around much in BIOS ? Maybe try going back to all auto settings or try any of the MOBO preset performance profiles ?

22 hours ago, GitGud said:

Just a theory, but have you fiddled around much in BIOS ? Maybe try going back to all auto settings or try any of the MOBO preset performance profiles ?

Yep, I've tried that and still get the same issue

UPDATE: So as it turns out, after exhausting every possible hardware and software fix, it turned out that it was just the HDMI cable wasn't properly in the graphics card, don't know why that caused that sort of micro stuttering to happen, but it did... I can't believe it.