Mobo doesn't detect GPU

-AJ-

Hi all and happy holidays.

I got myself a new GTX1060, but my motherboard won't detect it.

Hardware:

ASRock 990FX Extreme 4

AMD Phenom ii x6 1090t black edition

KFA2 GTX1060 6GB

Seasonic 620W PSU

Previously I've been running a PowerColor Radeon 6950, which has been running great for the pas couple of years. But now, when I plug in the 1060, the mobo gives me 5 beeps and the debugger thingy shows the error code d6, which seems to indicate, that the GPU couldn't be detected. I tried two of the three PCIe slots, the lowest one I couldn't try due to space constraints. I tried both Power connectors coming from the PSU, with no success. Then I tried putting the 1060 into a different PC and it worked, so the problem seems to be with my existing rig.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Cheers guys.

It's the AMD drivers.  Shut computer down, install graphics card and plug up to monitor and restart.  Give it a little while to detect.  What OS are you running?  1060 is hard to get recognized on W7.  W10 it will start right up. You need to get all AMD drivers off your computer.

Read all these.    https://www.google.com/search?q=when+swapping+from+amd+to+nvidia+AMD+motherborad+won't+recognize+video+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

30 minutes ago, thom derksen said:

Maybe just reset your bios and change the settings back to what you want them to be...

I hadn't changed any settings in the BIOS, but I did reset the CMOS twice just for good measure. But no luck.

21 minutes ago, 19DeltaSNAFU said:

It's the AMD drivers.  Shut computer down, install graphics card and plug up to monitor and restart.  Give it a little while to detect.  What OS are you running?  1060 is hard to get recognized on W7.  W10 it will start right up. You need to get all AMD drivers off your computer.

Read all these.    https://www.google.com/search?q=when+swapping+from+amd+to+nvidia+AMD+motherborad+won't+recognize+video+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I don't even get that far. It's not even POSTing. I turn it on, it runs through a self-test (the debugger display runs through a series of codes, and gets stuck on the code d6 and gives me 5 beeps) and then nothing. I am running W10.

That code states that the vga is not being recognized.  The correct way to use clear CMOS is to shut machine down and press and hold the clear CMOS button.  If you stick with me here and immediately answer my questions I can get you up and running.  How did you clear CMOS?  I mean what method did you use.

I don't have much time so if you want to fix it you'll have to stay with me and answer questions.

I pressed the "clear CMOS" button on the IO shield of the MB.

I looked up asrock 990fx extreme 4 and the manual didn't say it had a button on the I/O shield, it has a jumper where you have to mover the cap to different pins.  Let me post the link.  Are you sure it's not the update BIOS button your pressing.  Loot at this link and do this.   https://www.manualslib.com/manual/434060/Asrock-990fx-Extreme4.html?page=29

Once you do this restart machine and go to BIOS.  Let me know when you've done this.

When you get back to bios go to North Bridge Configuration and set graphics adapter and make sure it's set to PCe-express.  Graphics card should be installed in the top pcie slot.  After you do this let me know.

I forgot to mention that you'll probably need to put the old graphics card back in to get to your bios.

Shut you computer down and install the old graphics card in slot one and see if you get a display.

In the manual you posted it says "The Clear CMOS Switch has the same function as the Clear CMOS jumper." It's in the grey box at the bottom of the page. I did exactly as it says in the manual. I just tried it again like 3 times, with no success.

I also looked at the BIOS and PCI-Express is indeed selected. It all works fine with the old graphics card.

Do you have the old graphics card in now?  If not get the old graphics card in and get the display working and we'll go from there.

I wish we could have instant communication.  Is there a reason your responses are so delayed.  We can get this fixed right quick if we can communicate better.

Yes, I have the old card in now, just need to reinstall the driver for it (I tried removing it, but it didn't help).

As to me delayed responses: I need to juggle trying things, googling solutions and replying here on the same machine. No language barrier.

If you have a display do not reinstall a driver, that's good enough.  You just need the display.

Alright. I have a working display. So what's next? I'm pretty much at my wit's end.

I've been doing this a very long time.  I'm 50 years old and I know exactly what you need to do to fix your problem but we have to communicate.  When you get the old card in and if you can get a display without reinstalling the drivers DO NOT INSTALL THE DRIVERS.  Here is one of my PCs.

IMG_0753_zpshg7goyks.jpg

Okay, shut the machine down and insert the new 1060 in the second slot, do not remove the old card.  Just shut it down and install the new 1060.  If you don't have enough cables from the power supply to go to it, it doesn't matter, just get it in the slot and we'll go from there.

Leave everything hooked up to the old card so you have a display.  Once you get the card in power on the machine and go to desktop.

Don't get flustered, just relax and be easy on you PC and don't be rough on your parts.  I'll have you up and running if we can communicate.  I have to have input from you...... quickly.

You're trying to talk to too many people.  If you want it fixed close all other windows and communications and lets fix it.