Newly installed GTX 1050 Ti isn't working

liam807

I just got a GTX 1050 Ti  and it installed my but it's not working and it made my aspect ratio 1024x768 instead of the usual 1920:1080. I am aware that this is most likely a driver issue, but my driver isn't updating correctly! Also, it says that my card is the Microsoft basic display driver while before I installed the graphics card, it said I had intel HD graphics 4400. Next, when I could usually rrun overwatch at 20-30 FPS, when I opened it after the graphics card, it ran at 1 fps and It said I was using  Microsoft basic display driver. Last, my computer keeps crashing whenever I plug it in. Please Help!

It is almost definitely a driver issue.  If you're having such awful issues, try removing the card and installing the newest Nvidia drivers, then reinstall the card.

Uninstall drivers with DDU and reinstall them

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

What's DDU?

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Uninstall drivers with DDU and reinstall them

What @PCGuy_5960 said. DDU will uninstall any graphics drivers already on your PC. DDU is Display Driver Uninstaller which is just software that you download to completely

uninstall drivers. 

10 minutes ago, tannerman917 said:

It is almost definitely a driver issue.  If you're having such awful issues, try removing the card and installing the newest Nvidia drivers, then reinstall the card.

Removing the card then installing the drivers then putting the card back in wouldn't work at all. Nvidia can't install drivers to the card if there is no card to install them to. The card has to be in the system before installing drivers to it. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

1 minute ago, liam807 said:

What's DDU?

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

A software that you use to completely wipe GPU drivers.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

A software that you use to completely wipe GPU drivers.

2 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

What @PCGuy_5960 said. DDU will uninstall any graphics drivers already on your PC. DDU is Display Driver Uninstaller which is just software that you download to completely

uninstall drivers. 

Removing the card then installing the drivers then putting the card back in wouldn't work at all. Nvidia can't install drivers to the card if there is no card to install them to. The card has to be in the system before installing drivers to it. 

Do I need to keep my graphics card in there in when I start the DDU because my computer has crashed a few times when I keep it in there

1 minute ago, liam807 said:

Do I need to keep my graphics card in there in when I start the DDU because my computer has crashed a few times when I keep it in there

You don't necessarily have to keep your GPU plugged in

So I just updated the driver and restarted but it still says that I have Microsoft basic display driver. What should i do after I do the updates and reset my computer?

Not to sound like a complete idiot here, but have you installed the drivers for the card.

The microsoft basic display driver is a generic GPU driver that windows uses if actual drivers aren't available or can't be found via windows update (which should never be used in the first place).

All you need to do is either run the installation CD (or DVD) that came with the card or go to the nvidia website and download the latest drivers for the OS that you're using and it'll start using those drivers after a reboot (or straight away depending on the OS).

I don't really know why people were suggesting the use of display driver uninstaller since there weren't any drivers to uninstall.

Did you install this into a pre-built system without a graphics card?  I've had issues upgrading an old Dell system my mother had, having to set it to PCI first instead if Internal GPU, then reset and go back into BIOS to switch to PCIe graphics.  Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

long story short nvidia playing dick games with microsoft

so if your windows user then get amd(im a nvidia fan)gpu till nvidia pulls there head out of their ass and realizes microsoft covers 60+% of consumer market

when there sales drop and they have their stock options fall then they will behaive

you can try to get just driver files for card but this difficult as driver will force nvidia control panel(which is clone of windows display panel)those that remember windows 3d performance slider and spinning graphics will know this screen had advanced profiles option available which is why i say clone

byway this dick games i believe are intel driven(even though properly tuned win os on intel cpu still spanks amd) but this is what happens when smart people fight

they forget to fact check

intel and nvidia still have lead on amd in both cpu and gpu but if the keep pissing the consumers off with their dick fencing match amd will be the leader

amd cheaper and positive performer 

but when board members that can not define a bit from a byte make calls the piss ant devs have to follow or lose their jobs

3 hours ago, AdheneManx said:

I'm a computer technician so problems come up from time to time, it's part of the job, although nVidia shouldn't assume that your average home user is going to figure that out on their own... poor form nVidia.

#nVidiaFail

If nVidia reads this, simply adding "Please upgrade your MS Windows 10 to the latest build release." to the error description, would have saved me days of trying to troubleshoot the problem.

updating your computer and drivers should be one of the first things you try when troubleshooting

you can't blame nVidia for you not updating your computer...

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU