SHP9500 super quiet?

nkucz
Go to solution Solved by nkucz,
On 12/26/2016 at 3:13 PM, SSL said:

It's not a matter of seeing, its a matter of your onboard being configured incorrectly.

The sound card came today and boy were you wrong, now these things can get uncomfortably loud. 

Hey guys,

Today I got the Philips SHP9500 with a V-MODA BoomPro Microphone attached. I plugged it directly into the black of my motherboard and the the headphones seem super quiet even when turned all the way up in sound settings and game settings. Do I need to buy an amp or is there something wrong?

Thanks

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

try front ports

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Are they quiet when plugged into another device? Your phone, for instance.

21 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

try front ports

did not affect anything :/

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Are they quiet when plugged into another device? Your phone, for instance.

no they are decently loud listening to music on my iphone

1 minute ago, nkucz said:

no they are decently loud listening to music on my iphone

Check the front panel audio ports, update your motherboard sound drivers, and maybe update your BIOS too.

did not affect anything :/

hmm your onboard wasn't bad when it came out. This might be a driver thing, can you set gain in software?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Are the cables plugged all the way in, and do you have any equalizer settings for Windows enabled?

9 hours ago, kaisei said:

Also double check the volume knob on the V-MODA Boompro. 

On 12/25/2016 at 1:41 PM, Kloaked said:

Are the cables plugged all the way in, and do you have any equalizer settings for Windows enabled?

Yea all of these have been checked... I don't think that they are abnormally quiet, I just think they are too quiet for my liking. So I ordered a soundcard with an amp, so hopefully that will help. 

4 minutes ago, nkucz said:

Yea all of these have been checked... I don't think that they are abnormally quiet, I just think they are too quiet for my liking. So I ordered a soundcard with an amp, so hopefully that will help. 

Definite waste of money, but what do I care.

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

Definite waste of money, but what do I care.

Oh yea, because ordering an amp if your headphones are too quiet is a total waste of money. But yes, you shouldn't worry about how other people spend their money, also there is this thing called returning items that do not help! ;)

2 minutes ago, nkucz said:

Oh yea, because ordering an amp if your headphones are too quiet is a total waste of money. 

It is if your headphones are so sensitive a gust of wind could drive them.

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

It is if your headphones are so sensitive a gust of wind could drive them.

I guess we'll see when it arrives, PS: I can always return it....

I guess we'll see when it arrives, PS: I can always return it....

It's not a matter of seeing, its a matter of your onboard being configured incorrectly.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Driver's are up to date, everything plugged into sockets, cranked all the way up in game and in control panel settings...

6 hours ago, nkucz said:

Driver's are up to date, everything plugged into sockets, cranked all the way up in game and in control panel settings...

Have you tried plugging in the boompro all the way up in the headphone? When i got my pair, i forgotten that the headphone socket is kinda deep and didnt realize the boom pro can still go in the socket...

Or try them out with the stock cables first? maybe its the boom pro causing the problem..

Note: Sounds so wrong.. The phrase, the wordings, all of them xD

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

26 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

Have you tried plugging in the boompro all the way up in the headphone? When i got my pair, i forgotten that the headphone socket is kinda deep and didnt realize the boom pro can still go in the socket...

Or try them out with the stock cables first? maybe its the boom pro causing the problem..

Note: Sounds so wrong.. The phrase, the wordings, all of them xD

Yes I made sure! One of the first things I checked actually, but I also checked the stock cable and sound difference was non existent. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2016 at 3:13 PM, SSL said:

The sound card came today and boy were you wrong, now these things can get uncomfortably loud. 

44 minutes ago, nkucz said:

That only proves that the soundcard works; doesn't prove the motherboard audio was configured properly. Not that it matters.

3 hours ago, nkucz said:

doesn't prove he is wrong. But you could have fixed the issue for $0

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 minute ago, spwath said:

doesn't prove he is wrong. But you could have fixed the issue for $0

Then how could I have, all drivers were up to date for the motherboard, audio was cranked up in windows sound settings and everything was plugged into the correct jacks. 

Then how could I have, all drivers were up to date for the motherboard, audio was cranked up in windows sound settings and everything was plugged into the correct jacks. 

I can't tell you without actually being at the computer. I would just play around with settings, try uninstall drivers, try front and back ports, and more.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 minute ago, spwath said:

I can't tell you without actually being at the computer. I would just play around with settings, try uninstall drivers, try front and back ports, and more.

I did all of this to no avail, the front ports were certainly no louder than the back ports. I tried quite a bit of stuff, and quite frankly it was no longer worth my headache.