Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
astroboy89

Please advise on Firecuda SSHD

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am planning to buy a Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD to be used as storage and also installation of games alongside a 850 EVO SSD. The SSD will be used for OS installation.
I want to buy the SSHD as it has a 5 year warranty and all regular HDDs have only a two year warranty.These slow down with time and without the longer warranty if it fails it will be useless.

Please people share your experiences and let me know if its a good decision.

How do I format it for Windows 10 for storage purposes?

4 minutes ago, astroboy89 said:

I am planning to buy a Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD to be used as storage and also installation of games alongside a 850 EVO SSD. The SSD will be used for OS installation.

Don't waste your money. I bought my dad a Seagate SSHD a few months back for his desktop, and not only is it not one cent faster than a WD Blue or Seagate Barracuda, it's actually slower to boot to OS than my WD Black. My wife bought a 1TB Seagate SSHD for her laptop. It promptly started acting up, and now is completely removed from the laptop pending RMA because it was slow as hell, it was creating other problems within the laptop, and clean reinstalls of Windows did nothing.

If the five-year warranty is really important to you, buy a WD Black. I shit you not, it is faster than a Seagate SSHD and more reliable.

My main PC is a Beelink U55, and that will be my computer until such time as I feel like touching components again. Thanks, Gigabyte.

You can get 3TB HDD for the same price as that SSHD. If your going to use an ssd as your boot drive it won't really make a difference if the hdd is an sshd. Games won't benefit from faster storage. Also when you install windows you can just format the hard drive and the ssd at the same time.

EDIT

There are even 4TB drives for around $100.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

Agree with above, I've owned an SSHD myself. It's a common misconception that the extra SSD-device on the HDD will act like some sort of cache - but this is not true. What it does is scanning your most commonly used files and place them inside the small SSD unit so those common files load faster. And I don't think this includes any program files as it could cause problems - so only storage files. This means that a) only some files will be faster b) it will take some time before these files are faster in the first place as it will need to observe what files are most commonly used.

Instead, invest in a larger SSD and a regular HDD (or you could do like me and completely ditch the HDD and only get an even larger SSD).

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU