Flashforge Creator Pro - 3D Printer Review

Here are some pros and cons for the Flashforge creator Pro. Those that are bold are major points while the others are just supplementary. 

pRINTER1.png

Pros

• Sturdy Design For a cheaper 3D printer this design is very sturdy. In the world of 3D Printers, a sturdy design is key as this will greatly impact reliability. If the base design isn't sturdy then you'll be spending more time tweaking settings, leveling beds and tightening things up than actually printing parts. I've owned my printer for about 9 months now and I've leveled the bed 3 times and while I don't print daily, I do print quite often. Outside of the initial setup and those bed levels, I haven't had to tweak my settings at all.
  • Print Quality: I've had a print made on an Ultimaker 2 and this machine's prints are pretty comparable in terms of quality. This is amazing for something that is in the sub $1k mark. The quality blows the cheaper 3D printer we used at work to experiment with 3D Printing, which is the Makerfarm Prusia i3v. Granted that printer is about half the cost, although it was more comparable in cost when we first got it. 
  • Ease of Use: There is some initial installation, but it's much easier to get started printing with compared to the kits. Beyond that, the sturdy design mentioned above makes maintenance something that is rarely done, which is just awesome. Honestly though, I have had regular printers at work that were higher maintenance than this 3D Printer and that says something!
  • Dual Print Heads: I LOVE this. This greatly expands the capabilities of your 3D Printer, so far I've only used it for design purposes with separate colors but you could also use it with easily dissolvable print materials, conductive print materials, magnetic print materials and more! 
  • Heated Build Platform: This is pretty much a default on any printer worth its salt. 

Cons

• Narrow Build Platform: This is my biggest complaint! I really wish this unit had a larger build platform, the next two big negative points(Software and Print Surface) are something I easily overcame, this is a downside that's set in stone. The great quality and reliability of this printer really makes me want to test out larger prints. 
  • Software: Slic3r my previous software of choice to export prints to the printer doesn't work nicely with Flashforge due to it not using straight up Gcode like many printers. If you plan on printing a good deal, I think Simplyfy3D is a great investment. 
  • Print Surface: I really don't like the default surface, but that's because I always modify the 3D Printers I use to have a glass bed which is something that I have very good experiences with. If interested, I have a video on this.
  • Filament Spool Holder: The filament holders included with the 3D Printer are not universal, so you may need to jig something up so that you can print a replacement holder that fits your filament of choice. If you shop on Amazon then I highly recommend Hatchbox. 

You can also check out my full Video Review.

With LEDs Lighting On:

printer2.png

But can it run Crysis?

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB