Replacing H115i stock fans: ML140 Pro LED?

Omie

So I'm going to be replacing my H115i stock fans and was thinking of getting the Corsair ML140 Pro LED. I want some LED in my case as well so I'm looking at this.

I want to know how it compares to the Noctua NF-A14 2000 rpm ippc (industrial) fans. 

And will the ML140 Pro LED fans give me cooler temps AND lower noise compared to the H115i stock fans and the Noctua ones?

7 minutes ago, Omie said:

Snip

ML140 definitely going to be quieter and better than the SP140L's that come with your H115i (assuming the same RPM and running the ML140's in PWM mode only). Couldn't say about the noctua fans though. You wouldn't be disappointed with the ML140's if you decided to go that route though.

7 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

ML140 definitely going to be quieter and better than the SP140L's that come with your H115i (assuming the same RPM and running the ML140's in PWM mode only). Couldn't say about the noctua fans though. You wouldn't be disappointed with the ML140's if you decided to go that route though.

Oh ok, well as long as the temps are lower and they are quieter than the stock fans I'm ok with that. I just wanted some LED fans in my build but didn't want to risk giving up performance. I also didn't want to hear the extremely loud stock fans either lol.

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Oh ok, well as long as the temps are lower and they are quieter than the stock fans I'm ok with that. I just wanted some LED fans in my build but didn't want to risk giving up performance. I also didn't want to hear the extremely loud stock fans either lol.

Yeah just make sure that you're running them in PWM mode. the ML series of fans from corsair need 12v energy in order for the magnets to work properly in them, otherwise you're going to get weird rattling/noise (according to various reviews I've seen).

Just now, Zyndo said:

Yeah just make sure that you're running them in PWM mode. the ML series of fans from corsair need 12v energy in order for the magnets to work properly in them, otherwise you're going to get weird rattling/noise (according to various reviews I've seen).

Oh ok. Well as long as their 4 pin it should be PWM cause it'll go on my H115i radiator which goes into the CPU fan.

These are the ones right?: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premium-Magnetic-Levitation-CO-9050047-WW/dp/B01G5I6QH6

Just now, Omie said:

Oh ok. Well as long as their 4 pin it should be PWM cause it'll go on my H115i radiator which goes into the CPU fan.

my H110i V2 is a 3 pin pump header, with 4 pin fan headers coming off of it (which never made sense to me). If your H115i is the same way, you're going to need to run these fans off of your 4 pin motherboard headers in order to not be interfered with by that 3pin DC header, as far as i know (unless the AIO is doing something internally to regulate PWM out to its fans)

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

my H110i V2 is a 3 pin pump header, with 4 pin fan headers coming off of it (which never made sense to me). If your H115i is the same way, you're going to need to run these fans off of your 4 pin motherboard headers in order to not be interfered with by that 3pin DC header, as far as i know (unless the AIO is doing something internally to regulate PWM out to its fans)

I'm kinda confused. With the H115i all the cables are attached to the water block. One is a 3pin CPU for the pump and the other connects the 2 fans.

1 minute ago, Omie said:

I'm kinda confused. With the H115i all the cables are attached to the water block. One is a 3pin CPU for the pump and the other connects the 2 fans.

my H100i V2 has a 3pin, DC, header that goes into the motherboard. it also has 2 4pin, PWM, headers that come off of the block itself. What I'm saying is that unless the H100i V2 is doing something inside the CPU block assembly on its own to recondition the DC current its receiving from the 3pin, then your 4 pin fans are not going to be receiving PWM signals, but rather, the same DC current your 3pin is receiving.

7 hours ago, Zyndo said:

my H100i V2 has a 3pin, DC, header that goes into the motherboard. it also has 2 4pin, PWM, headers that come off of the block itself. What I'm saying is that unless the H100i V2 is doing something inside the CPU block assembly on its own to recondition the DC current its receiving from the 3pin, then your 4 pin fans are not going to be receiving PWM signals, but rather, the same DC current your 3pin is receiving.

Oh, so basically I wouldn't connect the fans to the connector that comes with the waterblock? Instead I put them into the 4 pin headers on the mobo? My mobo is a Asus z170 pro gaming aura.

2 hours ago, Omie said:

Oh, so basically I wouldn't connect the fans to the connector that comes with the waterblock? Instead I put them into the 4 pin headers on the mobo? My mobo is a Asus z170 pro gaming aura.

Yes. that is exactly what you should do. Don't ask me why they give you PWM fans and a default DC current... doesn't make a ton of sense lol, but there it is.

38 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Yes. that is exactly what you should do. Don't ask me why they give you PWM fans and a default DC current... doesn't make a ton of sense lol, but there it is.

What's confusing is that in every installation video, the people connect the fans to the connector that comes on the waterblock. So assuming the H115i stock fans are also PWM, why do they never connect to the mobo 4 pin headers like you said?

2 hours ago, Omie said:

What's confusing is that in every installation video, the people connect the fans to the connector that comes on the waterblock. So assuming the H115i stock fans are also PWM, why do they never connect to the mobo 4 pin headers like you said?

It could be that something about corsair link (which I do not use), or the way the block itself is designed, which allows the fans to run PWM even though they are only receiving 3pin power via the primary pump 3pin. I really don't know.

If you already have your fans on the way, just plug them in normally, and if they're loud (which happens when ML140's do not receive proper 12V power), try plugging them in independently to PWM board headers and seeing if that fixes the issue. That would certainly solve the issue right there haha.

18 hours ago, Zyndo said:

It could be that something about corsair link (which I do not use), or the way the block itself is designed, which allows the fans to run PWM even though they are only receiving 3pin power via the primary pump 3pin. I really don't know.

If you already have your fans on the way, just plug them in normally, and if they're loud (which happens when ML140's do not receive proper 12V power), try plugging them in independently to PWM board headers and seeing if that fixes the issue. That would certainly solve the issue right there haha.

Oh ok, will do thanks!

Oh, and just to make sure, these are PWM right? Because on Amazon it doesn't mention PWM in the title. But I'm assuming it is PWM.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premium-Magnetic-Levitation-CO-9050047-WW/dp/B01G5I6QH6

Just now, Zyndo said:

Yes. all of the ML series are 4pin, PWM fans.

Oh ok great, thanks!