2017 Dell XPS 15 9560 Details

jasonwj322a

Is the HDMI port 2.0?  I'm interested in running an external 4K display with the laptop and I'd prefer not to buy any USB-C adapters and/or a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Also, is that RAM and drive still user upgradable?  

I think 1080p at 15" is plenty sharp.  A stripped down base model with just the iGPU and minimal RAM and drive options is what I'd look at, with the intent of putting my own RAM and SSD in there.

Edit:  I only use my lappy for work/coding, so I don't care much for GPU power.

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

I hate nostril hair focusing cameras...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 hours ago, Pheelo said:

My dad is probably going to get this laptop. He is tired of his Lenovo laptops performances.

Which model is he using now? There are some good ones out there.

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

That would be nearly impossible, the 1060 would be waay too difficult to cool.

The blade 14 does it.

Just now, The Belgian Waffle said:

If it's not a gaming machine why would you even need a 1050 in the first place? To run YouTube in 4k? Every integrated GPU can handle that

For 1080p gaming?

44 minutes ago, bobhays said:

The blade 14 does it.

For 1080p gaming?

Yeah that also works. Also its a bad argument to make on how the Blade 14 has the 1060. It is thicker and the sound the fans make are even unbearable to some. 

Just now, jasonwj322a said:

Yeah that also works. Also its a bad argument to make on how the Blade 14 has the 1060. It is thicker and the sound the fans make are even unbearable to some. 

The blade is only slightly thicker but also not as wide. Also the fans are loud not unbearable. I'm not saying it's ideal, i'm just responding to "nearly impossible"

15 minutes ago, bobhays said:

The blade is only slightly thicker but also not as wide. Also the fans are loud not unbearable. I'm not saying it's ideal, i'm just responding to "nearly impossible"

That slightly thicker matters a lot, especially considering it has a 1 inch smaller screen. Also I said unbearable to some not all.

10 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Just play at 1080p which looks good typically due to 4k bing exactly 4x the pixels 

It negates the whole point of having a 4K screen. They may as well have made the screen 1080p.

10 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Its not like its going to struggle running 4k at anything but gaming and gaming isnt the only thing people use laptops for...

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

It negates the whole point of having a 4K screen. They may as well have made the screen 1080p.

I disagree. The point of the 4k screen isn't negated. This isn't advertised as a gaming laptop for a reason. The 4k screen can be used for other things it was meant for, gaming is just a bonus.

10 hours ago, flipped_bit said:

Also, is that RAM and drive still user upgradable?  

probably not.

I think 1080p at 15" is plenty sharp.  

How bad is your eyesight?

I wear glasses and 1080p at 15 inches does not look sharp.

Edit:  I only use my lappy for work/coding, so I don't care much for GPU power.

Visual Studio and the like use GPU acceleration and benefit from a better GPU.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

34 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

probably not.

How bad is your eyesight?

I wear glasses and 1080p at 15 inches does not look sharp.

Visual Studio and the like use GPU acceleration and benefit from a better GPU.

I use my laptop mostly connected to an external monitor.  So the laptop screen and external monitor are both roughly the same distance from my eyes.  Considering most 1080p monitors these days are 23-24", then yeah, I'd say 1080p is more than enough.

The IDEs I use (not including Visual Studio) have always seemed plenty fast to me on my current lappies integrated GPU.  I don't see a need for a dedicated GPU, but you and I may have different workloads.

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

19 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

1050 and 4K.

Two things that just don't go together.

19 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

True. Companies should start focusing on using things that can power the resolution of the screen. Though this laptop isn't really use for gaming.

People who buy XPS's don't buy them primarily to game on and even a potato like Intel's graphics is enough to run the desktop at 4K just fine.

If you're going to play games on it, lower the resolution down to 1080p. It'll still look pretty damn sharp. I can barely tell a difference between 1440p native and 1440p on my 27" 4K monitor.

4 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

That slightly thicker matters a lot, especially considering it has a 1 inch smaller screen. Also I said unbearable to some not all.

What does the screen size have to do with that?

7 hours ago, bobhays said:

The blade 14 does it.

For 1080p gaming?

Blade gets way higher temperatures and I don't think it will match its battery life even on a long shot. Barely ideal for the kind of user they are targeting imho.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

Blade gets way higher temperatures and I don't think it will match its battery life even on a long shot. Barely ideal for the kind of user they are targeting imho.

No laptop is going to run for a while running a dedicated gpu. They last for a while because they use integrated graphics when not running demanding applications. The razer battery is 70wH which is higher than the standard xps 15 but lower than the ones with the upgraded battery. It just depends on the model.

Don't get me wrong the xps 15 is a great laptop, I was just responding to his claim that it's "nearly impossible" to put a 1060 in there. They did it for reasons like you mentioned, the people using it likely wouldn't care and probably above all, price.

3 hours ago, bobhays said:

What does the screen size have to do with that?

Screen size bigger usually means a bigger laptop.

6 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

People who buy XPS's don't buy them primarily to game on and even a potato like Intel's graphics is enough to run the desktop at 4K just fine.

If you're going to play games on it, lower the resolution down to 1080p. It'll still look pretty damn sharp. I can barely tell a difference between 1440p native and 1440p on my 27" 4K monitor.

Yeah agree, I changed my opinion on that. Playing games on it is definitely a nice bonus though.

2 minutes ago, jasonwj322a said:

Screen size bigger usually means a bigger laptop.

Yea I got that part but you said it matters especially because it has 1 inch smaller screen. Would it not matter as much if the screen size was the same? And matter for what?

7 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

So.. they refreshed the 13 this year, and are refreshing the 15 next?

Why doesn't this year's thirteen have a fingerprint scanner...?

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is marketed as a thin light 15 inch notebook that has decent power for its size. This is not a Dedicated gaming only device that you only turn it on to game.... 1080p gaming on this will look close to native 1080p gaming. which most that buy this and who its marketed towards wont even use this for... But then for everything else the added real estate and clarity is nice to have .

I have 2 4k moinitors and 99% of the time i dont game on them does that make them useless no

16 hours ago, Crowes said:

So.. they refreshed the 13 this year, and are refreshing the 15 next?

Why doesn't this year's thirteen have a fingerprint scanner...?

Its probably because the XPS 15 are for power users. They have to have some bonus features on it to make people happy. Also the XPS 15 is newer than the XPS 13 which justifies the late announcements. Not to mention needing the GTX 1050 and Kaby Lake quad core processors.

16 hours ago, bobhays said:

Yea I got that part but you said it matters especially because it has 1 inch smaller screen. Would it not matter as much if the screen size was the same? And matter for what?

If it's thinner it means it'll be harder to put things in it. Also it's not a gaming laptop or a mobile workstation, so it shouldn't be as thick.

7 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

Its probably because the XPS 15 are for power users. They have to have some bonus features on it to make people happy. Also the XPS 15 is newer than the XPS 13 which justifies the late announcements. Not to mention needing the GTX 1050 and Kaby Lake quad core processors.

XPS 13 2016 isn't a year old. Where is the logic in what you're saying?

• XPS 13s are for power users. It's one of the best ultrabooks out there. It's not cheap, either.
  • "They have to have some bonus features". Pls.
  • "XPS 15 is newer than the XPS 13" .. by a year tops, right? That's nothing in terms of a laptop.
  • XPS 13 comes with a Kaby Lake processor too. XPS 15s have GPUs because they wouldn't be compromised by them*.
  • The XPS 15 was not designed for gaming, nor targetted towards them.
  • Majority of things done with an XPS 15 can be done with an XPS 13**.

*Imagine a 13" laptop with a GPU half the size of its chassis. Then there's the battery it'd use.

**Both laptops are essentially two sides of the same coin.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

22 minutes ago, Crowes said:

XPS 13 2016 isn't a year old. Where is the logic in what you're saying?

• XPS 13s are for power users. It's one of the best ultrabooks out there. It's not cheap, either.
  • "They have to have some bonus features". Pls.
  • "XPS 15 is newer than the XPS 13" .. by a year tops, right? That's nothing in terms of a laptop.
  • XPS 13 comes with a Kaby Lake processor too. XPS 15s have GPUs because they wouldn't be compromised by them*.
  • The XPS 15 was not designed for gaming, nor targetted towards them.
  • Majority of things done with an XPS 15 can be done with an XPS 13**.

*Imagine a 13" laptop with a GPU half the size of its chassis. Then there's the battery it'd use.

**Both laptops are essentially two sides of the same coin.

First of all, never said XPS 13 wasn't for power users but  XPS 15 is MAINLY targeted to power users. The XPS 13 also lose a lot of things a power user need, quad core processors, discrete GPU, larger storage. Second, for something that costs more and is geared towards power users of course it would get more bonus features. Third, you don't get the "newer" part do you? The Kaby Lake quad core processors aren't even out yet, of course they would have to wait. The XPS 13 uses only dual cores with no discrete GPU. It has a discrete GPU for the reasons I listed before, pretty much its for power users. By the way, there are tons of things the XPS 13 cannot do that the XPS 15 counterpart can.

I would take a look at this article. Pretty much sums up the differences and proves my point. http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dell-xps-13-vs-xps-15

PS: I would go do some research if I were you. These laptops aren't completely different on the outside, but their performances are.