What SSD for an old laptop?

Mobby Dick

Hey guys,

I want to swap out the HDD of my laptop with an SSD.

Does the writing/reading speed make a big difference when booting or for multitasking?

What SSDs can you  recommend? It should be reliable and not too expensive.

Thanks for your help :)

Try to figure out what kind of (sata) type connection the laptop uses. If it's SATA2, you can hook up just about any SSD, and already get the max speeds your laptop can take. If it's sata 3, how deep are your pockets.

10 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

Hey guys,

Does the writing/reading speed make a big difference when booting or for multitasking?

depends what sata your laptop uses.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

3 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

how deep are your pockets.

If it is 500gb, I'd say  around 150€ max. For 250gb around 80€

I already looked at the sandisk plus series because they offter 500gb for 114€, what is crazily cheap. But I am not sure how long that thing will last and how good it will perform.

11 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

Hey guys,

What laptop is it?

Important point.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

5 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

Smart people acting smart, I like that. 6 minutes before you managed to type that, I also pointed that out.

15 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Try to figure out what kind of (sata) type connection the laptop uses. If it's SATA2, you can hook up just about any SSD, and already get the max speeds your laptop can take. If it's sata 3, how deep are your pockets.

9 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

8 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

What laptop is it?

Important point.

I am not quite sure, but it seems like it uses SATA 3.

The exact model is the Dell Inspiron n5050 (http://www.tesco.com/direct/dell-inspiron-n5050-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-500gb-156-display-black/215-1022.prd?source=others).

To make it clear again: I don't need the fastest SSD available. If I save one second while booting I don't really care. I just don't want an SSD that is gonna die fast and is still cheap.

8 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

The exact model is the Dell Inspiron n5050 (http://www.tesco.com/direct/dell-inspiron-n5050-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-500gb-156-display-black/215-1022.prd?source=others).

To make it clear again: I don't need the fastest SSD available. If I save one second while booting I don't really care. I just don't want an SSD that is gonna die fast and is still cheap.

OK it has SATA 2 connectors only.

Yes you can get a 2.5 inch SSD but don't over do it. You can get a mid range SSD. Don't bother with top level

As you're limited in bandwidth through the data connector

There's some installation videos on YouTube for your laptop replacing the HD

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

14 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

Serial ATA-300 = Sata 2 = 300 mb/s bandwidth

fyi.

you can buy any sata 3 drive as they are backwards compatible. It's just they won't work at Sata 3 = 600 mb/s

It'll be faster though and lighter.

6 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

OK it has SATA 2 connectors only.

Yes you can get a 2.5 inch SSD but don't over do it.

As you're limited in bandwidth through the data connector

There's some installation videos on YouTube 

BS, seems to have SATA 3, source: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-15-(n5050)

Just look at some of the cheaper SSD's in your budget range. Look for the best reads/writes before failure. Then take the top 3, and look at the speeds. "All SSD speeds" can be maxed out with your SATA 3 connection.

3 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

BS, seems to have SATA 3, source: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-15-(n5050)

Just look at some of the cheaper SSD's in your budget range. Look for the best reads/writes before failure. Then take the top 3, and look at the speeds. "All SSD speeds" can be maxed out with your SATA 3 connection.

CNET did a review of it in 2013

Clearly says SATA 300

That's SATA II

Check your facts before posting 'BS'

4 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

@mark_cameronLink please.

It's one of the first Google links.

Also just because a supplier suggests a SATA III replacement doesn't mean the laptop is Sata III

SATA III - they are backwards compatible.

No one really makes Sata ii ssd any more - do they?

Whatever is cheap right now.

The crucial's are a pretty good value and sometimes you can even get a samsung 750 for really low prices. Sandisk has some cheap ones too, but at least the old ones are pretty slow. Still good enough for older machines imo.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

@mark_cameron Used google to search for "Dell Inspiron N5050" and "Dell Inspiron N5050 sata", could NOT find any CNET links on my google. Did find that crusial page, and on the left, it tells us:

Your Dell Inspiron 15 (N5050)

system specs as shipped

icon-memory.png

memory

• Maximum Memory:8GB
  • Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

what does this mean?

icon-storage.png

storage

• Storage: SATA 3 - 6Gb/s
  •  

what does this mean?

icon-chipset.png

Chipset

• Chipset: Intel HM67

what does this mean?

8 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

@mark_cameron Used google to search for "Dell Inspiron N5050" and "Dell Inspiron N5050 sata", could NOT find any CNET links on my google. Did find that crusial page, and on the left, it tells us:

Your Dell Inspiron 15 (N5050)

system specs as shipped

icon-memory.png

memory

• Maximum Memory:8GB
  • Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

what does this mean?

icon-storage.png

storage

• Storage: SATA 3 - 6Gb/s
  •  

what does this mean?

icon-chipset.png

Chipset

• Chipset: Intel HM67

what does this mean?

Pipe down please.

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-15-n5050-15-6-pentium-b970-4-gb-ram-500-gb-hdd/specs/

The dell specs says the same

1 hour ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Smart people acting smart, I like that. 6 minutes before you managed to type that, I also pointed that out.

huhuhuhuh stop moaning, obviously i didnt see your post. who cares anyway?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

@mark_cameronI also found out that it CAME WITH a SATA 2 disk. It also tells us it came with an 8x dvd-rw drive. According to the crusial website, it has an SATA-3 connection/bandwith type. Considering C|Net called this thing "budget", and considering it's age, it seems logical to me to just add a cheaper SATA 2 drive, although the mobo would support SATA 3. But I think we need to wait for TC, and tell us them numbers.

2 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

@mark_cameronI also found out that it CAME WITH a SATA 2 disk. It also tells us it came with an 8x dvd-rw drive. According to the crusial website, it has an SATA-3 connection/bandwith type. Considering C|Net called this thing "budget", and considering it's age, it seems logical to me to just add a cheaper SATA 2 drive, although the mobo would support SATA 3. But I think we need to wait for TC, and tell us them numbers.

Dell product support indicated that its SATA-II. All the interfaces on the motherboard are.

It doesn't matter as all the SATA interfaces are intercompatible e.g. SATA III works with SATA I or II. Its just any SSD will be limited to SATA II as that is all that Dell were prepared to licence for the motherboard here.

Basically, people are mis understanding. You can use a SATA-III drive. You just won't have the speed of the drive at SATA-III as the motherboard interface doesn't support it. Thats straight from Dell.

People have plugged in SATA III drives and found they worked. Then were puzzled at why they were only getting 300 mb/s maximum. Which is still fast. Just not 2016 fast.

Lets not mislead the OP. He can get any drive just shouldn't be mislead into expecting performance he's not going to get.

15 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

Dell product support indicated that its SATA-II. All the interfaces on the motherboard are.

It doesn't matter as all the SATA interfaces are intercompatible e.g. SATA III works with SATA I or II. Its just any SSD will be limited to SATA II as that is all that Dell were prepared to licence for the motherboard here.

Basically, people are mis understanding. You can use a SATA-III drive. You just won't have the speed of the drive at SATA-III as the motherboard interface doesn't support it. Thats straight from Dell.

People have plugged in SATA III drives and found they worked. Then were puzzled at why they were only getting 300 mb/s maximum. Which is still fast. Just not 2016 fast.

Lets not mislead the OP. He can get any drive just shouldn't be mislead into expecting performance he's not going to get.

I am one of those people who added a performance SATA III into an OLD SATA II desktop computer. So I know how it works. I am just not that convinced it has only SATA II. Yes, it came with SATA II, like C|Net told us. But why would Crusial, an A-brand, tell us this laptop has a SATA 3 connection? (and I could not find information from some DELL page, telling us what SATA port was on the inside, not counting the SATA 2 port on the disk itself)

And not trying to start a fight or anything. I understand what you are saying. I also know what TS wants. He should go for a cheap drive with priorities on 1: durability, 2 price, 3 storage capacity and 4 speed. (he doesn't care much about them extra seconds) But at desciding what that laptop has, someone has to test it, because in MY opinion, a 100% answer isn't to be found. If I would be wrong (which I doubt), I will admit I was wrong.

Moar facts which would support my view on things (SATA-3 connection on the mobo with a budget SATA-2 HDD connected to it) would be: SATA-3 came into existance in juli 2008. They started putting them SATA-3 connections on hardware, while the first HDD/SSD's (SATA-3) only came around in 2010. So they started out with a SATA-3 connector type, with no (consumer) hardware to make full use of it. Considering this laptop is from +/-4th quarter 2011 (from a dutch tech site, might be sold earlyer in the rest of the world), and it was a budget line, having SATA-3 connectors on the mobo "for future upgrades", and having just a SATA-2 HDD, makes sence to me.

2 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

I am one of those people who added a performance SATA III into an OLD SATA II desktop computer. So I know how it works. I am just not that convinced it has only SATA II. Yes, it came with SATA II, like C|Net told us. But why would Crusial, an A-brand, tell us this laptop has a SATA 3 connection? (and I could not find information from some DELL page, telling us what SATA port was on the inside, not counting the SATA 2 port on the disk itself)

And not trying to start a fight or anything. I understand what you are saying. I also know what TS wants. He should go for a cheap drive with priorities on 1: durability, 2 price, 3 storage capacity and 4 speed. (he doesn't care much about them extra seconds) But at desciding what that laptop has, someone has to test it, because in MY opinion, a 100% answer isn't to be found. If I would be wrong (which I doubt), I will admit I was wrong.

Moar facts which would support my view on things (SATA-3 connection on the mobo with a budget SATA-2 HDD connected to it) would be: SATA-3 came into existance in juli 2008. They started putting them SATA-3 connections on hardware, while the first HDD/SSD's (SATA-3) only came around in 2010. So they started out with a SATA-3 connector type, with no (consumer) hardware to make full use of it. Considering this laptop is from +/-4th quarter 2011 (from a dutch tech site, might be sold earlyer in the rest of the world), and it was a budget line, having SATA-3 connectors on the mobo "for future upgrades", and having just a SATA-2 HDD, makes sence to me.

It is SATA-II there is a link on the Dell community forums from their product support that says this.

Further posters tried to say it wasn't but the fact remains the product specs are all indicating it.

Personally, I think Dell are just cheap arses and licencing sata III and putting that connection into a laptop with optical and mechnical storage that only required SATA II level performance makes me think Dell as per usual skimpped on the product specs.

Because they are tight.

Its why people on here build their own devices or only buy devices where they know what they're buying. One reason I come on LTT.

I've been personally burnt too many times before. My first PC was an IBM Aptiva. Missold. I was a young teenager at the time in the early 1990's.

Using SATA 3Gbps or 6Gbps doesn't matter in the end because most of the time the OS or regular programs aren't even going to hit the SSD hard enough to saturate SATA 1.5Gbps.

The most perceptible improvement of an SSD is its quickness, not its speed.

Also I've put a SATA 6Gbps SSD in a Dell laptop with SATA 3Gbps and it worked fine.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Using SATA 3Gbps or 6Gbps doesn't matter in the end because most of the time the OS or regular programs aren't even going to hit the SSD hard enough to saturate SATA 1.5Gbps.

The most perceptible improvement of an SSD is its quickness, not its speed.

Also I've put a SATA 6Gbps SSD in a Dell laptop with SATA 3Gbps and it worked fine.

I agree but was only trying to make sure the OP knew what he was getting.

As I said the main benefits would be. Reduced weight. Faster boot. Faster response (than the HDD). Longer battery (potentially).

So it would be an upgrade.

Was just saying don't go buying a 950 Pro or anything silly. Is all.

@mark_cameron @Dutch-stoner @M.Yurizaki

Thanks for all your help. I also have decent computer knowledge, so I wouldn't have used any top-of-the-line SSD, but I completely forgot considering SATA speeds. I am most likely gonna go and buy a cheap model from a reliable brand.

When you do get an SSD, please do some speed tests, and inform us (by quoting me and mark) about what SATA connection your laptop had.