Watercooling on a Budget

Go to solution Solved by atomicus,
2 hours ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

So it really is more about Rad per component rather than 1 Rad to rule them all ?

Yes, that is true. But as mentioned, for a GPU only loop, a single 240 is fine. You could always look at adding another rad etc. further down the line as and when you can afford it, but you would need a sufficient pump for that of course. 

If you leave your CPU out the loop, it is possible to just WC your GPU for your budget, but only JUST. And it's only possible because you already have the block. To do both within your budget is the problem, and I just don't quite see how this could be done (short of buying second hand), especially as we seem to be living in the most expensive country in the world for PC components right now. The £/$ rate has tanked, and even buying from the EU ends up costing a fortune.

Even just doing your GPU requires making something of a compromise, but I understand the noise of the Titan X cooler is your main problem, so going this route should at least resolve that. However, I have read plenty of cases where people have watercooled on the cheap and ended up with noisy pumps and fans, which while the overall dB level (and even temps) may not be so bad, the actual 'tone' of the noise is very annoying. This is something to think about it. Some noises are just annoying, regardless of how loud they are.

Hi,

So i have a £150-160 max budget to build a loop,
I already have the GPU Block for my Titan X (also came with a backplate)

Image result for ek titan x block manual

I need to obvs build a full loop around it. 

I am relatively new to Watercooling despite doing this myself with some cheap pump and old bits of AIO coolers - yes silly i know but fun : 
IMG-20160615-WA0025.jpg

Anywho i have £150 roughly to spend and need enough cooling power to cool the Titan X and the CPU - I will admit the CPU is an awful overclocker. 

The Titan X i really want to be able to push into the 1500mhz range though. 

Can you guys help me ?!?!?

Edit : i was hoping to use  7/16" ID 5/8" OD 16/11mm  tubing as i already have lots (see picture)

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

You need to list exactly what you want and have. 150 pounds isnt terribly much if you need Rads, a cpu block, a pump and fittings.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

I don't know how this would be remotely possible unless you got really lucky with second hand stuff. Hell, a good pump alone (any worth having anyway) is going to be £100-110 at least! Factor in rad(s), block, coolant and fittings, and you're easily double your budget. I just don't understand this CHEAP watercooling mentality... WHY?? You're sacrificing performance, aesthetics and perhaps more importantly increasing the chance of something going wrong! I'm not advocating spending top whack on everything Bitspower or anything like that, but common sense surely must come in to play here?? You won't achieve this with new components on your budget, second hand is your only hope, and even then it's tight and comes with increased risk. I would just save your money until you can do it right.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

Edit : i was hoping to use  7/16" ID 5/8" OD 16/11mm  tubing as i already have lots (see picture)

Umm, If you want it to look decent(ish), you are going to want to use compression fittings, but that isn't a super common size of tubing for watercooling, so I guess you could just use barbs and zipties like you have.

14 hours ago, Alec M said:

Umm, If you want it to look decent(ish), you are going to want to use compression fittings, but that isn't a super common size of tubing for watercooling, so I guess you could just use barbs and zipties like you have.

I managed to pick 2 of these up so hopefully that covers the compression fitting issue (i will buy more as i need)

AMG Compressor.JPG

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

And for those wanting a list : 

I have a Titan X Waterblock with backplate. 
I also have De-Ionized water although would buy another coolant if needed
Thats about it at this stage lol.

Why can't i do this ? 

mywaterbuild.JPG

Chicken Nuggets

15 hours ago, atomicus said:

I don't know how this would be remotely possible unless you got really lucky with second hand stuff. Hell, a good pump alone (any worth having anyway) is going to be £100-110 at least! Factor in rad(s), block, coolant and fittings, and you're easily double your budget. I just don't understand this CHEAP watercooling mentality... WHY?? You're sacrificing performance, aesthetics and perhaps more importantly increasing the chance of something going wrong! I'm not advocating spending top whack on everything Bitspower or anything like that, but common sense surely must come in to play here?? You won't achieve this with new components on your budget, second hand is your only hope, and even then it's tight and comes with increased risk. I would just save your money until you can do it right.

Really a pump is gonna be £110 for the little bit i want to do ? Sorry but that seems extreme. 

Chicken Nuggets

15 hours ago, Alec M said:

This pump is crazy silent, especially if you put some kind of padding under it.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/topsflo-tdc-silent-dc-water-cooling-pump-w-g1-4-thread-top.html

$40 is not bad at all ! far cry from the £500,000 quoted for a pump in this post...

Edit : Sorry @atomicus if this seems to come across as rude its not my intention i just think £110 for a pump is extreme.

Chicken Nuggets

And for those wanting a list : 

I have a Titan X Waterblock with backplate. 
I also have De-Ionized water although would buy another coolant if needed
Thats about it at this stage lol.

Why can't i do this ? 

Really a pump is gonna be £110 for the little bit i want to do ? Sorry but that seems extreme. 

1 hour ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

$40 is not bad at all ! far cry from the £500,000 quoted for a pump in this post...

Edit : Sorry @atomicus if this seems to come across as rude its not my intention i just think £110 for a pump is extreme.

Unlikely that small pump in the AIO would be enough, but I can't say for sure. AIOs aren't much better than top end air coolers in most cases, and you would be asking even more of it with GPU and CPU in the loop. I doubt you'll end up with performance that is worth it.

Check out the XSPC Ion... it's a bit noisy but cheap. Still a better option than the AIO route you have suggested.

If you want to spend £30 on a pump, go for it, but generally you will get what you pay for. I've read many tales of people going cheap on watercooling and regretting it. I always ask people WHY they want to do this. Is it temps? Quietness? Aesthetics? Why have you specifically ruled out air cooling? The words 'budget' and 'watercooling' really are somewhat incongruous, particularly when you're talking about such a low amount of money to achieve it.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

3 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Unlikely that small pump in the AIO would be enough, but I can't say for sure. AIOs aren't much better than top end air coolers in most cases, and you would be asking even more of it with GPU and CPU in the loop. I doubt you'll end up with performance that is worth it.

Check out the XSPC Ion... it's a bit noisy but cheap. Still a better option than the AIO route you have suggested.

If you want to spend £30 on a pump, go for it, but generally you will get what you pay for. I've read many tales of people going cheap on watercooling and regretting it. I always ask people WHY they want to do this. Is it temps? Quietness? Aesthetics? Why have you specifically ruled out air cooling? The words 'budget' and 'watercooling' really are somewhat incongruous, particularly when you're talking about such a low amount of money to achieve it.

temps, Queitness and Aesthetics for me lol. also with all due respect Air Cooling - i have that and its awful noisy and looks total crap. 

I can't see why i should spend 20k on a loop it seems insane. Im not trying to set world records. 

Chicken Nuggets

Just now, Hayabusa1989 said:

temps, Queitness and Aesthetics for me lol. also with all due respect Air Cooling - i have that and its awful noisy and looks total crap. 

I can't see why i should spend 20k on a loop it seems insane. Im not trying to set world records. 

OK, well you are categorically doing air cooling wrong if you find it "awful, noisy and looks total crap", and if you think going water is some kind of magic solution you are wrong. Plenty of people go this route and end up with noisier systems that perform worse! You don't need to spend a fortune, but going absolute bargain basement with ANYTHING in life is only ever going to achieve mediocre results, so don't worry about accidentally breaking a world record lol! That's just common sense. Your budget is a pittance, and you will significantly compromise on temps, noise and aesthetics with it being so low.

1 minute ago, atomicus said:

Your budget is a pittance

thats nice.

Chicken Nuggets

Seeing as Alphacool sell the AIO in question with parts to expand it i think i am going to have to fucking sue them as it clearly won't work : THEY DIDNT EVEN SPEND £9000 on a Radiator and the pump well lets just say they shoulda spent £80,000 MINIMUM

Seriously Have you heard the stock cooler on a Titan X, its noisy as fuck.

Chicken Nuggets

4 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

thats nice.

Well it is. £150 for a GPU + CPU loop... no. It's do-able yeah, but you are literally going to be buying the cheapest of everything and putting it inside your system which is clearly worth quite a lot of money. Money you can't afford to lose I'm sure. Putting aside the whole performance/aesthetics side of things, the added risk of doing this just isn't worth it. Would you put cheap tyres you got from some bloke down the pub on your sports car before you took it out on the racetrack? Probably not.

2 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

Seeing as Alphacool sell the AIO in question with parts to expand it i think i am going to have to fucking sue them as it clearly won't work : THEY DIDNT EVEN SPEND £9000 on a Radiator and the pump well lets just say they shoulda spent £80,000 MINIMUM

Seriously Have you heard the stock cooler on a Titan X, its noisy as fuck.

You don't need to be so sensationalist. There are guidelines for watercooling, and using an AIO in the fashion you describe is really pushing too far. Your budget for doing this RIGHT is probably half, so are you really THAT broke and incapable of scraping together another £150 or so to do this properly?? 

6 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Well it is. £150 for a GPU + CPU loop... no. It's do-able yeah, but you are literally going to be buying the cheapest of everything and putting it inside your system which is clearly worth quite a bit of money. Putting aside the whole performance/aesthetics side of things, the added risk of doing this just isn't worth it. Would you put cheap tyres you got from some bloke down the pub on your sports car before you took it out on the racetrack? Probably not.

You don't need to be so sensationalist. There are guidelines for watercooling, and using an AIO in the fashion you describe is really pushing too far. Your budget for doing this RIGHT is probably half, so are you really THAT broke and incapable of scraping together another £150 or so to do this properly?? 

I just proposed to my Girlfriend and am getting married next september - this literally is the last computer based thing i can do before we fly away for a year next xmas so yes its honestly that bad.

So the machine literally has to last 1 year and be half decent. 

Chicken Nuggets

Lets go Simpler for now, 

How many Rads do i need - i am cooling a GPU and CPU

Honestly i would happily JUST cool the GPU at this stage the CPU does not like any kind of overclocking at all. 

Chicken Nuggets

I just proposed to my Girlfriend and am getting married next september - this literally is the last computer based thing i can do before we fly away for a year next xmas so yes its honestly that bad.

Well if you're going away for a year you'll need to drain you loop, and you haven't allowed for any draining of the loop here... fittings for that etc. Unless you plan on selling your system or giving it to someone, but even then, not allowing for drainage is an issue. You WILL need to do that at some point.

Lets go Simpler for now, 

How many Rads do i need - i am cooling a GPU and CPU

Honestly i would happily JUST cool the GPU at this stage the CPU does not like any kind of overclocking at all. 

Typical recommendation is 240mm of rad space per main component. So if you just want to cool the GPU, then a 240 is fine. 

For ease and no maintenance you would be best served to use the Hydro Series HG10 N980... this will work with a Titan X. You would then just need a Hydro Series liquid CPU cooler.

7 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Well if you're going away for a year you'll need to drain you loop, and you haven't allowed for any draining of the loop here... fittings for that etc. Unless you plan on selling your system or giving it to someone, but even then, not allowing for drainage is an issue. You WILL need to do that at some point.

Typical recommendation is 240mm of rad space per main component. So if you just want to cool the GPU, then a 240 is fine. 

For ease and no maintenance you would be best served to use the Hydro Series HG10 N980... this will work with a Titan X. You would then just need a Hydro Series liquid CPU cooler.

and then sell the EK block and have a crappy looking black tubed affair that looks horrorawful lol 

i had one with my 780ti it looked properly shit lol. 

Chicken Nuggets

7 minutes ago, atomicus said:

This i do realize. What would be the best thing to include to drain the loop ?

is it the hose looking things ?

Chicken Nuggets

7 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

and then sell the EK block and have a crappy looking black tubed affair that looks horrorawful lol 

Forgot you had that block already. Well, you could get the XSPC ION pump which is about £35, a cheap rad for £30 (Magicool G2 is cheap), you'd need fittings of course, x2 for each component, so x6 minimum, and they'll be £4 each, so that's another £25. Don't if you have fans, but that's another £15-20 most likely, for rad optimised ones. You can have a drain valve located anywhere, ideally lowest point, so fittings for that will be around £15-20. XSPC do a good value one, but you'll need some other fittings either side of this of course, so you need to factor that in to the cost.

3 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Forgot you had that block already. Well, you could get the XSPC ION pump which is about £35, a cheap rad for £30 (Magicool G2 is cheap), you'd need fittings of course (x2 for each component, so x6 minimum, and they'll be £4 each, so that's another £30. You can have a drain valve located anywhere, ideally lowest point, so fittings for that will be around £15-20. XSPC do a good value one, but you'll need some other fittings either side of this of course, so you need to factor that in to the cost.

I currently have 2 fittings. In the mail not included on budget.

also thanks for the links! and okay i could 100% include the drain valve.

Chicken Nuggets

2 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

I currently have 2 fittings. In the mail not included on budget.

Well I'd get that XSPC Ion pump and the cheapest slim rad you can get (slim is better for low fan speeds if you want quiet), more fittings and just go at it. 

1 minute ago, atomicus said:

Well I'd get that XSPC Ion pump and the cheapest slim rad you can get (slim is better for low fan speeds if you want quiet), more fittings and just go at it. 

Whats better for temp though ? Abit of noise is never going to bother me its just the insanity the titan x does is annoying. 

Chicken Nuggets

Whats better for temp though ? Abit of noise is never going to bother me its just the insanity the titan x does is annoying. 

You're talking a few degrees difference at most... just a matter of what you prioritise. You're mostly going to be dictated by budget here anyway as thicker rads are more expensive generally.