Tiny, Silent, Gaming Monster - ASUS G20CB

LinusTech

Sorry to bring it over here but... First...

And that thumbnail though, its different than what is usually there.

Edited by g12601

Just now, g12601 said:

Sorry to bring it over here but... First...

second?

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

No SSDs except on the 1080 model.

• Fast performance with 16GB DDR4 (2133Mhz) Memory and 1TB HDD

Fast performance

1TB HDD

tsk tsk tsk, Asus.

idk

I wouldn't really call that tiny or mini.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

No SSDs except on the 1080 model.

tsk tsk tsk, Asus.

just noticed that both linus and jayz follow you :o and 911 posts /jk

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

First page comment? lol  
Cool PC though, I like SFF PCs :3

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

26 minutes ago, MuffinByte said:

Whats the case Linus holds in the first clip (00:00 - 00:12)?

Lian Li PC-05 or 06

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Still a horrible value when you consider that you give up the individual component warranties for one that covers (and likely requires you to mail the system in for hardware failures, in addition to losing your warranty if you want to open the case to upgrade, or even simply clean the dust out of the system.

You are paying a price premium over the retail markup on each individual component that you would spend building the system yourself, and getting a shorter and less convenient warranty out of it.

4 hours ago, MuffinByte said:

Whats the case Linus holds in the first clip (00:00 - 00:12)?

Well, to be precisely precise, it's Digital Storm Bolt 3 PC.

"Giant tower gaming PCs are going the way of the dodo"

*Looks down at my two full tower cases sitting at my feet*

Naaaaa. I'll keep my good thermals and extra expansion room any day...

Pre-built, small systems (laptops included) all have one problem. Heat. And they all die prematurely because of it.

I mean geeze, that thing's GOTTA be quiet. It has 3 blower fans. 3 FREAKING BLOWER FANS.

We all know how quiet THEY are...

I'm not sure if Linus is saying "this thing is quiet for what it is considering it has 3 blower fans." or "This thing is quiet compared to a normal mid or full tower pc with the same components." 

I refuse to believe the latter.  However, that comparison SHOULD have been made in this episode.

I can just imagine the discussion at LTT.

"Guys today we're reviewing a tiny, silent gaming pre-built, what do you think our viewers want to see?"

"Well we can definitely test the two things in the title, tiny and silent right? Also, many pre-builts have trouble with heat, so why don't we post good thermal information and not just a few seconds of XX °C when running cpu benchmark?"

"Naaaa let's just show that it can run games at 4k! and post none of that stuff! We'll just hold it up next to other things at an angle so people can see exactly how big it is then Linus will say "it's quiet". YEAH! IT'LL BE THE PERFECT VIDEO!"

Where is the "roll eyes" emoticon?

EDIT: It's this type of crap that makes me want to watch LTT videos less and less. Where are the numbers? The unbiased data? The actual "review?"

Unfortunately, it's also this type of crap that resonates in the echo chamber created by the young kids here (who probably make up the majority of LTT's viewers) who don't have a clue about "healthy skepticism." 

EDIT2: Actually, now that I think about it... when's the last time LTT bashed a well known brand's product? 

EDIT3: Looks like it was a month ago with their last kickfarted episode, although that's not a well known brand. For that you'd have to look a bit further back where they bashed the apple book. (Deservedly so, although still not a piece of "tech.")

EDIT4: The latest "tech" product they bashed was the lego mindstorms, also about a month ago. As for a piece of adult tech (aka computers)? I gave up looking.

could use some more storage though if I want to replace my photography+gaming system with a thing like this.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

LITERALLY THE NEXT VIDEO THEY TESTED THE LAPTOP FOR SOUND LEVELS BUT THEY DIDN'T TEST THE "SILENT" PC WITH THE SAME TOOLS???

REALLY?

I CAN'T MAKE MY CAPS ANY BIGGER.

On 20/12/2016 at 8:34 AM, corrado33 said:

LITERALLY THE NEXT VIDEO THEY TESTED THE LAPTOP FOR SOUND LEVELS BUT THEY DIDN'T TEST THE "SILENT" PC WITH THE SAME TOOLS???

REALLY?

I CAN'T MAKE MY CAPS ANY BIGGER.

Didn't they test both the temperature via a stress test and audio in the video? I don't get what are you worked up about? Seen worse from LTT.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

6 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Didn't they test both the temperature via a stress test and audio in the video? I don't get what are you worked up about? Seen worse from LTT.

No! They didn't! They put up the temperature for a brief SECOND during a "stress test." Nothing comprehensive at all. And they didn't test the audio other than linus saying "it's quiet."

11 hours ago, corrado33 said:

No! They didn't! They put up the temperature for a brief SECOND during a "stress test." Nothing comprehensive at all. And they didn't test the audio other than linus saying "it's quiet."

They did show the decibel measurement at 3:00 didn't they?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

They did show the decibel measurement at 3:00 didn't they?

Sure did!