The King of the AIO, but what happens after 6 months? Predator AIO, please let me know if you are in the same position.

Darkw1sh

The day I got my Predator AIO 360mm by EKWB, I was ecstatic, an AIO cooler with custom loop performance.

The Predator AIO is far from an AIO it is a custom loop built by the masters, it is just pre-assembled. It is a great cooler out of the box and I expected it to last for ages.

I am not new to EK or custom loops, I have built multi card,cpu, and mobo cooling custom loops with radiators out the wah-zoo. I love EK's quality and attention to detail. I decided to the 360 to get rid of the need for a pump and rez, and I was going to expand the loop, but my strix 1080 does not over heat and the 6700k runs at decent temps with the cooler.

NOW FOR THE BAD

I didn't think I would find much bad in this loop, one thing I really hated about the cooler was the piping! It constantly scratched up my plexi glass on my case, and when i decided to mod my case to make a bigger window I decided to change the tubing on the predator, that seems easy enough right!

The process was easy, but what I found inside the radiator after 6 months was to say the least scary, I am hoping that the two twelve hour shifts of cleaning out the radiator will do enough to let me keep this system running! This is the best loop I have seen and opening it up and seeing all of the corrosion was disguising, and draining the loop was like draining a loop that was not taken care of.

Mind you the loop has only been in the system for ~6 months. I bought EK- Ekoolant to refill the system because I thought if I was going to change out the tubing might as well service the loop, but I would have never guessed that the radiator would look like that.

I did my best washing out the system and refilling her, the loop is back up now with new piping but I had a question for those of you with a predator AIO, if you open up the top drain port, the one that is connected right to the radiator, what does it look like, is my issue an isolated issue or are others in the same boat? I hope and pray that I am the only one that got the crap end of the stick and that the rest of the systems are looking like new inside!

20161217_142148.jpg

20161217_142234.jpg

20161217_142247.jpg

yup, your aio definetely have ebola, i wouldnt touch it like that if i were you.

8 minutes ago, Howitz said:

yup, your aio definetely have ebola, i wouldnt touch it like that if i were you.

I have already been to the depths of hell, so I am not too worried about touching it. lol

2 minutes ago, Darkw1sh said:

I have already been to the depths of hell, so I am not too worried about touching it. lol

i usually tend to avoid water cooling exactly because of those problems, couldn't you just stick an air cooler on your cpu and gpu, i mean unless you overclock a whole lot, the hardware today is a bit less on the oven side than it was a few years ago, temps are usually good enough to be handled by air cooling.

Wow I am wondering about other reports on the Predators.  I've heard scary stories on the swiftech AIO pumps when I was look at one of those.  Best to save up for individual parts and do a custom loop.  Maybe I will just build a custom fountain beside my computer.

20 hours ago, Sabbilon said:

Maybe I will just build a custom fountain beside my computer.

hahaha this is hilarious!  thanks for that

@Darkw1sh that entire situation is terrible and I'm sorry you're dealing with that.  I've been a little hesitant to recommend the predators due to random leak reports all over the place, but I hadn't heard of corrosion being an issue.  Unfortunate as I rather like EK.  I'm sure @EK Luc @EK_Derick can help sort you out!

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

To put this thread back on track.

The guy from DasMode did a custom loop for his Green Lantern build using components from a predator.  I wonder how his unit was?   I didn't notice anything the first time I watched it.

youtube Green Lantern build DasMode

On 18/12/2016 at 9:02 PM, Darkw1sh said:

The day I got my Predator AIO 360mm by EKWB, I was ecstatic, an AIO cooler with custom loop performance.

The Predator AIO is far from an AIO it is a custom loop built by the masters, it is just pre-assembled. It is a great cooler out of the box and I expected it to last for ages.

I am not new to EK or custom loops, I have built multi card,cpu, and mobo cooling custom loops with radiators out the wah-zoo. I love EK's quality and attention to detail. I decided to the 360 to get rid of the need for a pump and rez, and I was going to expand the loop, but my strix 1080 does not over heat and the 6700k runs at decent temps with the cooler.

NOW FOR THE BAD

I didn't think I would find much bad in this loop, one thing I really hated about the cooler was the piping! It constantly scratched up my plexi glass on my case, and when i decided to mod my case to make a bigger window I decided to change the tubing on the predator, that seems easy enough right!

The process was easy, but what I found inside the radiator after 6 months was to say the least scary, I am hoping that the two twelve hour shifts of cleaning out the radiator will do enough to let me keep this system running! This is the best loop I have seen and opening it up and seeing all of the corrosion was disguising, and draining the loop was like draining a loop that was not taken care of.

Mind you the loop has only been in the system for ~6 months. I bought EK- Ekoolant to refill the system because I thought if I was going to change out the tubing might as well service the loop, but I would have never guessed that the radiator would look like that.

I did my best washing out the system and refilling her, the loop is back up now with new piping but I had a question for those of you with a predator AIO, if you open up the top drain port, the one that is connected right to the radiator, what does it look like, is my issue an isolated issue or are others in the same boat? I hope and pray that I am the only one that got the crap end of the stick and that the rest of the systems are looking like new inside!

This doesn't look good.  

Did you open a support ticket on our website?

Did you bought it from EK directly or from a reseller?

On 12/18/2016 at 9:28 PM, Howitz said:

i usually tend to avoid water cooling exactly because of those problems, couldn't you just stick an air cooler on your cpu and gpu, i mean unless you overclock a whole lot, the hardware today is a bit less on the oven side than it was a few years ago, temps are usually good enough to be handled by air cooling.

Some people are sensitive to the noise. My Strix 1080 fans bother me a heck of a lot more than any custom loop ever well. Constantly stopping and revving thanks to that stupid 0db fan garbage. No, setting a custom fan curve doesn't solve it either. I would keep my NH-U12S on my 6700K, as Noctua's fans are damn quiet, but it looks kind of silly to only watercool your GPU.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

2 hours ago, Noirgheos said:

I would keep my NH-U12S on my 6700K, as Noctua's fans are damn quiet, but it looks kind of silly to only watercool your GPU.

I saw a build once who only had the GPU watercooled, and it looked quite nice, unusual but very clean! Also it might be silly at first but it's the component that dumps the most heat in an entire system, so it's not that dumb...

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

47 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

I saw a build once who only had the GPU watercooled, and it looked quite nice, unusual but very clean! Also it might be silly at first but it's the component that dumps the most heat in an entire system, so it's not that dumb...

Never said it was dumb, it just looks dumb.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

9 hours ago, Noirgheos said:

Never said it was dumb, it just looks dumb.

It doesn't if it's done properly.

Found the build! http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Yzm8TW

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

On 18/12/2016 at 11:02 PM, Darkw1sh said:

NOW FOR THE BAD

Ok...I have a few doubts. First, that cooler is supposed to be entirely copper and the liquid is supposed to have an anti-corrosive additive. Also, that looks like rust, ferric oxide, copper oxide is black. So that makes me think you may have growth in your loop. PT Nuke is supposed to be effective, but maybe adding an antiseptic could help. I wouldn't use iodine like Linus did since it's corrosive and just a mess. I'm not very informed in custom WC, I'm talking as a biochemist, but can't you use triclosan or clorhexidine as an additive? I'd check out WC forums and see what they add to avoid growth. Also...silver coils are dirt cheap and they don't hurt.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

10 hours ago, tomas710 said:

Ok...I have a few doubts. First, that cooler is supposed to be entirely copper and the liquid is supposed to have an anti-corrosive additive. Also, that looks like rust, ferric oxide, copper oxide is black. So that makes me think you may have growth in your loop. PT Nuke is supposed to be effective, but maybe adding an antiseptic could help. I wouldn't use iodine like Linus did since it's corrosive and just a mess. I'm not very informed in custom WC, I'm talking as a biochemist, but can't you use triclosan or clorhexidine as an additive? I'd check out WC forums and see what they add to avoid growth. Also...silver coils are dirt cheap and they don't hurt.

I don't know the details of copper rads but i can tell you with automotive aluminum coolers there are a lot more metal then just aluminum in the plating order to get them "soldered".  It seems like that one (hopefully just that one) missed the cleaning stage after manufacture.

13 hours ago, Sabbilon said:

I don't know the details of copper rads but i can tell you with automotive aluminum coolers there are a lot more metal then just aluminum in the plating order to get them "soldered".  It seems like that one (hopefully just that one) missed the cleaning stage after manufacture.

Well, it's still an AIO so that would be very, very bad indeed.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10