Has gaming decreased your pleasure of watching movies in cinemas?

Dayfly

Hey guys

I don't know about you guys, but I think that my type of gaming (mostly 1st person shooter or 3rd person over 60fps games with rapid movements)  has somewhat decreased my experience in watching movies in the cinemas. I think its because since i play every game above 60 fps with motion blur always turned if if possible cause fuk that and since movies are at 24fps with high motion blur in fast moving scenes. So whenever there is a fast pan it kind of hurts my eyes because I feel like there is a jitter and way to much out of focus on screen (motion blur).

what do you guys think?

it is just me or do you notice this as well?

Do you have ADHD?

And to answer your question, no.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Just you.

The people at the cinema are getting sick of me, sort of. At least they know my seating habbits and what kind of movies I usually go to so I generally have dibbs on a few of the seats

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

well not that I know of. 

I just notice it when there are close objects mixed with past pans. Its only maybe a couple or few times in movies, not always.

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

Just you.

The people at the cinema are getting sick of me, sort of. At least they know my seating habbits and what kind of movies I usually go to so I generally have dibbs on a few of the seats

must be a pretty small city where people know you that well lol

As long as my wife and I are going to watch a good movie, no.

That said, "The Room" for Best Production 2017.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, fonkas said:

must be a pretty small city where people know you that well lol

~350k permanent residents and maybe another quarter million students. I've been going to the same cinema for the past 6 years at least once per week, so yeah. They know me.

Could also be because I'm one of the few morons that watches the same movie 2 or 3 times in a row

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I wouldn't say it's decreased the cinema experience. My love of audio has made me dislike my local cinemas more than my love of gaming. I can sit back and enjoy a good movie in theaters. Although, I find it harder to want to watch movies at home. Even with pretty nice sound system and TV, I don't really watch movies at home any more.

2 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

~350k permanent residents and maybe another quarter million students. I've been going to the same cinema for the past 6 years at least once per week, so yeah. They know me.

Could also be because I'm one of the few morons that watches the same movie 2 or 3 times in a row

oh okay normal

haha I have a friend that likes to watch movies a couple or more times as well.

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

You mean Popcorn time?

Uh, you heard nothing!

Popcorn time? what? pfff nahhh ;)

I think the problem is that you are focusing too much on stuff other than the movie. If you let yourself get sucked in and lost in the movie then you wouldn't notice things like that.

Try and relax and don't think about "glorious 60 FPS master race" next time you're at the cinema and you should be fine.

1 hour ago, revsilverspine said:

Lol, I just moved from a place that never had over 40k people xD. And you thought your town was small...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think the problem is that you are focusing too much on stuff other than the movie. If you let yourself get sucked in and lost in the movie then you wouldn't notice things like that.

Try and relax and don't think about "glorious 60 FPS master race" next time you're at the cinema and you should be fine.

yea I guess youre right

I think movies should move to a higher framerate, but I think they're acceptable as they are.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I think movies should move to a higher framerate, but I think they're acceptable as they are.

HFR for Cinema is a failed experiment.  Even support for 48fps HFR is non-existent in the UHD Blu-Ray standard.  (Please don't make me explain why 60fps isn't viable for legacy support reasons)

Not in the cinema, because in the cinema I can't use my phone or be distracted in any way.

However, I simply cannot watch films at home anymore. My attention span for video is absolutely abysmal, I very rarely make it through a movie at home without getting bored, looking up the ending on IMDB and going to do something else. Which is weird, because my attention spans for reading, listening and interaction are very long, as is my attention span for a video game.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

15 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

HFR for Cinema is a failed experiment.  Even support for 48fps HFR is non-existent in the UHD Blu-Ray standard.  (Please don't make me explain why 60fps isn't viable for legacy support reasons)

What makes you think it is not viable for legacy support reason? 

You do know that the UHD Blu-Ray spec does include support for up to 60FPS, right? 

13 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Only because not enough people care enough to ask for it and the industry doesn't have much reason to push it either - you wouldn't need a new tv or a new reader for it and it costs more to produce, so why bother (from their point of view)?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Why is it not viable for legacy support reason? 

You do know that the UHD Blu-Ray spec does include support for up to 60FPS, right? 

If I didn't know that UHD Blu-Ray has 60fps support, I probably wouldn't have said that 60FPS isn't viable, would I?

It's basically about 'Frame Time' though not quite in the same way you see in PC gaming, but not far off. Let's start off with PC games, you wanna hit 60fps, but your GPU isn't quite getting 60fps, so you're floating between 40-50fps while frames are 'held' until the next refresh cycle where the frame can be drawn, this gives you an uneven frame time and the feeling is juddery.  This is also why some games include 30fps framerate caps, to offer a smooth and regular 30fps refresh rate on a 60hz display (Because 30 divides into 60 evenly, so the screen just shows the same image for every two refresh cycles) an why you now have G-Sync an FreeSync displays which don't operate on a fixed refresh rate to bypass this issue entirely.

...So what happens when you playback 24fps content on a 60hz TV?  Basically the same thing.  You have 24 frames to display every second and 60 intervals within that second to draw them, some frames will have to be drawn twice and others will be drawn three times in a row to fit the 60hz refresh cycle.  This is why most TVs and many good playback systems will change their refresh rate to match their content.  A good media setup will switch the display to 24hz for the playback of a film, so that the refresh rate of the display perfectly matches the content.  This is why 60fps won't really work, if you shot a movie at 60fps for what few theaters were ready for 60fps playback, you also need a version of this movie that is 24fps for the majority of cinemas that only project at cinematic framerates.  ...So how do we convert 60fps to 24fps cleanly?  We can't.  This is why cinematic HFR content is shot at 48fps, because you can just drop every other frame an you have a 24fps version.

Also, 48fps content looks, well, honestly kinda unpleasant.  People didn't enjoy the HFR version of The Hobbit, it was reported to be unpleasant to watch by the majority of audiences and the format has largely failed.  60fps has it's place in sports coverage but for film it's dead.  If you're interested in seeing an example that's accessible, Video Game High School Season 2 was shot in HFR, with 'The Real World' seasons at 24fps and the 'Video Game World' scenes at 48fps, to give a difference in 'feeling' as the series moves between views of both realities.  This is probably one of the few usages of HFR that seemed like a clever idea. That said, the HFR version was only released as a digital download for backers.  The YouTube, Netflix, and disc releases were 24fps only.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Only because not enough people care enough to ask for it and the industry doesn't have much reason to push it either - you wouldn't need a new tv or a new reader for it and it costs more to produce, so why bother (from their point of view)?

See, as one of the few people with 48fps content sitting on their server, I tested 48hz input on my shiny new Samsung HDR TV.  ...It doesn't work.  It doesn't report 48hz support in it's EDID (Few monitors would, but many can be forced to it) when when I forced the GPU to output 48hz, it failed to detect the signal even if 30hz and 50hz are fine/  (Funny, I have cheaper TVs that will accept a forced 48hz input).  So no, 48hz support is not guaranteed on all displays as it's not in any accepted standard and it's only seen on TVs that just so happen to operate outside of their specs.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

See, as one of the few people with 48fps content sitting on their server, I tested 48hz input on my shiny new Samsung HDR TV.  ...It doesn't work.  It doesn't report 48hz support in it's EDID (Few monitors would, but many can be forced to it) when when I forced the GPU to output 48hz, it failed to detect the signal even if 30hz and 50hz are fine/  (Funny, I have cheaper TVs that will accept a forced 48hz input).  So no, 48hz support is not guaranteed on all displays as it's not in any accepted standard and it's only seen on TVs that just so happen to operate outside of their specs.

Can't you see the content with the tv running at 50hz? Either way that's still a lot more hit or miss than, say, 1080p or 2160p.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

If I didn't know that UHD Blu-Ray has 60fps support, I probably wouldn't have said that 60FPS isn't viable, would I?

It's basically about 'Frame Time' though not quite in the same way you see in PC gaming, but not far off. Let's start off with PC games, you wanna hit 60fps, but your GPU isn't quite getting 60fps, so you're floating between 40-50fps while frames are 'held' until the next refresh cycle where the frame can be drawn, this gives you an uneven frame time and the feeling is juddery.  This is also why some games include 30fps framerate caps, to offer a smooth and regular 30fps refresh rate on a 60hz display (Because 30 divides into 60 evenly, so the screen just shows the same image for every two refresh cycles) an why you now have G-Sync an FreeSync displays which don't operate on a fixed refresh rate to bypass this issue entirely.

...So what happens when you playback 24fps content on a 60hz TV?  Basically the same thing.  You have 24 frames to display every second and 60 intervals within that second to draw them, some frames will have to be drawn twice and others will be drawn three times in a row to fit the 60hz refresh cycle.  This is why most TVs and many good playback systems will change their refresh rate to match their content.  A good media setup will switch the display to 24hz for the playback of a film, so that the refresh rate of the display perfectly matches the content.  This is why 60fps won't really work, if you shot a movie at 60fps for what few theaters were ready for 60fps playback, you also need a version of this movie that is 24fps for the majority of cinemas that only project at cinematic framerates.  ...So how do we convert 60fps to 24fps cleanly?  We can't.  This is why cinematic HFR content is shot at 48fps, because you can just drop every other frame an you have a 24fps version.

Also, 48fps content looks, well, honestly kinda unpleasant.  People didn't enjoy the HFR version of The Hobbit, it was reported to be unpleasant to watch by the majority of audiences and the format has largely failed.  60fps has it's place in sports coverage but for film it's dead.  If you're interested in seeing an example that's accessible, Video Game High School Season 2 was shot in HFR, with 'The Real World' seasons at 24fps and the 'Video Game World' scenes at 48fps, to give a difference in 'feeling' as the series moves between views of both realities.  This is probably one of the few usages of HFR that seemed like a clever idea. That said, the HFR version was only released as a digital download for backers.  The YouTube, Netflix, and disc releases were 24fps only.

That was a good read, thanks for the knowledge and the info of what happens in the background

Just now, Sauron said:

Can't you see the content with the tv running at 50hz? Either way that's still a lot more hit or miss than, say, 1080p or 2160p.

Just to be clear here: Did you entirely fail to comprehend why someone would a display to switch to 48hz for the display of 48fps content, or 24hz for 24fps content?  Displaying 48fps content on a 50hz display would mean that every half a second, one frame gets 'doubled' and is displayed long.  every 500ms you'd get an instant of lag in the display.

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Just to be clear here: Did you entirely fail to comprehend why someone would a display to switch to 48hz for the display of 48fps content, or 24hz for 24fps content?  Displaying 48fps content on a 50hz display would mean that every half a second, one frame gets 'doubled' and is displayed long.  every 500ms you'd get an instant of lag in the display.

I know, but it may still be better than 24hz.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What you talking about.... I LOVVVE watching movies... Doesn't have to do with gaming at all... Why are those 2 things somehow related??? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.