AMD Zen Rysen / Intel Kaby Lake only on Windows 10? Is this true?

pete_agreatguy

It just mean MS won't be further giving updates(updates for the chipset, not halting updates entirely) for win 7 for those newer chipsets. This already started with skylake and yet many of them are running win 7. Even mobo manufacturers gave users a work around to Microshit's shit for installing win 7. I don't see why kabylake wouldn't work. But please wait till reviews of those newer cpus have been released. 

I'm sure as hell gonna be running win 7. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Personally, I don't much care for Windows Key logger edition aka Win 10 and I've heard all the arguments in defense of it. I even humored myself watching Barny on YouTube showing people each week how to get around the algorithms only to do another video update the following week to show people how to get around the algorithms ad infinitude. This is the dilemma we are facing with Intel these days it seems as they continue to pander to Microsoft and ignore legitimate distributions like Linux. I was shocked to discover that the new work station I'm putting together is also a Windows only unit. I never heard of a work station that did not support Linux so I never bothered to check. Shame on you, Asus! Such is the way with conglomerate monopolies . . . One hand washes the other. Fortunately we still get support for Win 7 but one year isn't much to look forward to and after that the tablet style operating systems come into play. If Microsoft only came up with an upgraded version of WIN XP (minus the spyware, Cortana, and bloatware they so love to dole out in the name of "convenience") I'd be happy to purchase it. But of course they have their fat cats to please and their back doors to keep open so I won't be holding my breath. Instead I'll just have to struggle with Win 8.1 until I can figure out how to make Linux work on an X99 work station that was never designed to work with Linux. Oh joy! 

10 hours ago, pete_agreatguy said:

@rn8686 My concern is that Windows 10 may not support my Flight Sim and old games that I still love to play:

i.e. Flight Simulator 2004 (aka FS9) with a ton of addons - I never upgraded because I spent a fortune on the lot .... MS Train Simulator, C & C Generals, Star Trek Command 3.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Windows 10 over 8.1 but Windows 7 for me works really well with the old games.

As I said, in that case just get skylake, you probably wont notice much difference with kabylake or zen. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

It's looking like an option (or the 5820k) but I'll await the release of Zen and Kaby Lake until I make a final decision as the prices will (should) be lower then.

Corsair 750D Case | Antec HCP850W PSU | Asus P6T | Intel i7 920 @ 4GHz with Thermalright Archon SB-E X2 | 
2x 4GB G Skill PC3-12800 | EVGA GTX760 2GB | s/g 480GB SSD + 2TB + s/s 250GB SSD | Win 7 Ultimate x64 OS

They will work fine on older x86 operating systems, the instruction sets for the CPUs are backwards compatible.  The only thing you will not get is the new instruction set functionality.  The CPU is x86 architecture and will work just fine on older operating systems without the additional on chip enhancements brought in by new instruction sets.

It's just marketing spin to push Windows 10 and get people utilizing what the CPU will run best on, all Microsoft are stating is that they will not be providing backwards compatibility via (WHQL) drivers or additional of new instruction set enhancements in to older versions of Windows.

Do you honestly think that AMD or Intel would gimp their sales by excluding all the other operating systems in the world?  Considering AMD Zen (Naples) server edition is going to be running on any and every version of Linux and Microsoft Server its complete bs. 

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Just to clarify, you are saying that Windows 7 may well be supported "unofficially" ... i.e. by motherboard manufacturers such as Asus???

Corsair 750D Case | Antec HCP850W PSU | Asus P6T | Intel i7 920 @ 4GHz with Thermalright Archon SB-E X2 | 
2x 4GB G Skill PC3-12800 | EVGA GTX760 2GB | s/g 480GB SSD + 2TB + s/s 250GB SSD | Win 7 Ultimate x64 OS

19 hours ago, pete_agreatguy said:

Just to clarify, you are saying that Windows 7 may well be supported "unofficially" ... i.e. by motherboard manufacturers such as Asus???

I'm saying that anything that is x86 achitecture and has the instruction sets available for that operating system which Zen and KabyLake will have.  Will be backwards compatible.. it will work just fine it just won't utilise any of the new instruction set features on the CPU as Microsoft won't go backwards and add that new feature support to old operating systems.  

TLDR - The new CPUs will work fine in older x86 operating systems, but they will not have full (NEW) feature support

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Skylake has full Windows 7 support until 2020, and Kaby lake is a refresh of Skylake, so, while it might not be officially listed as being supported under Windows 7, I think it's going to work the same as Kaby Lake, which has full Windows 7 support.

Also, "not supported" doesn't mean "won't run." It only means that Microsoft isn't back-adding any new CPU features to Windows 7. A "not supported" CPU still might work completely OK with older OSes. Think of DOS, Windows 3.1, XP, Vista... modern CPUs aren't supported under those OSes, but they still run them.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Then again, I'm surprised they still have a retail 32-bit version of Windows 10....

• 4 weeks later...

I really hope that AMD's Rysen does support Windows 7. The simulators I play have had issues with addons not installing properly due to Windows 10 updates.

On 12/21/2016 at 4:37 AM, Yamoto42 said:

Then again, I'm surprised they still have a retail 32-bit version of Windows 10....

For office, and POS system using 64bit is waste of money

24 minutes ago, anticeon said:

For office, and POS system using 64bit is waste of money

And on OEMed systems, that is a fair enough point...although there are a few arguments that could be made there:

Almost no business is on a greater than 5 year upgrade cycle.  Meaning all office PC's are either newer than 5 years old, dependent on legacy OS (CAN'T upgrade to win 10), or just plain will not be upgraded at all (including OS).  Additionally, very few PCs within the past 5 years, even low end ones, have less than 4GB memory, making NOT using a 64 bit OS a waste of money.

POS systems, those are a bit too varied to answer.

My original point still stands, that a RETAIL 32-bit version of Windows 10 is pointless.

Personally I didn't understand why they released a 32 bit version of 8, let alone, Windows 10. Totally agree with you @Yamoto42

On 16/01/2017 at 9:20 PM, Yamoto42 said:

And on OEMed systems, that is a fair enough point...although there are a few arguments that could be made there:

Almost no business is on a greater than 5 year upgrade cycle.  Meaning all office PC's are either newer than 5 years old, dependent on legacy OS (CAN'T upgrade to win 10), or just plain will not be upgraded at all (including OS).  Additionally, very few PCs within the past 5 years, even low end ones, have less than 4GB memory, making NOT using a 64 bit OS a waste of money.

POS systems, those are a bit too varied to answer.

My original point still stands, that a RETAIL 32-bit version of Windows 10 is pointless.

On 16/01/2017 at 9:53 PM, pete_agreatguy said:

Personally I didn't understand why they released a 32 bit version of 8, let alone, Windows 10. Totally agree with you @Yamoto42

Bcus Y'all live in freakin 1st World COuntry ... have you  check Game Centre in China ? Most of them are 32bit.

and dont forget Small office/business who can't afford >4GB PC

or Intel Atom Pre-built PC who are impossible to run 64bit OS.

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 7 drivers will be released :)