Laptop for school, programming, and gaming

z10apex

Howdy, folks, of Linus Tech Tips forum! I'm looking to buy a new laptop for next fall for college. I would like to get a laptop with an i7, SSD or m.2 storage, and around 13 to 15 inches. I am currently thinking about getting the New Razer Blade, the new mac pro, dell xps 15, or Asus zen book pro. What are you guys thoughts on these machines and what would you recommend?

new mac pro

don't please. You can't game or program on it :P

I would wait untill AMD zen comes out, because of the expected drop in CPU prices :)

I wouldn't get the new macbook. the touchbar isn't worth the steep price increase from the 2015 models, the lack of I/O makes life difficult for now, you don't get a lot of value for the money compared to the others you listed, and overall, coming from somebody who has a 2015 pro, I would suggest going with any of the windows options. If you really have your heart set on buying a mac, buy a 2015 pro, you still have i/o you can use today, and you're saving yourself money by not buying the latest and greatest from apple.

Edit: if you're trying to game on a mac, it isnt going to be possible at 2550 x 1600. js

1 minute ago, asiancorruption said:

I wouldn't get the new macbook. the touchbar isn't worth the steep price increase from the 2015 models, the lack of I/O makes life difficult for now, you don't get a lot of value for the money compared to the others you listed, and overall, coming from somebody who has a 2015 pro, I would suggest going with any of the windows options. If you really have your heart set on buying a mac, buy a 2015 pro, you still have i/o you can use today, and you're saving yourself money by not buying the latest and greatest from apple. 

If you are used to Apple's stuff, you can't go back :P

I'd have to say Dell XPS15. I have the XPS 9350 and absolutely adore it. If you look on ebay, you can get some ridiculously good deals on refurb units (thats how i got mine).

Main Rig: i7-4790 | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM

Laptop: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ i7-6820HQ, RX 455, 16GB RAM

Others: Apple iPhone XS, ATH-M50X, Airpods, SE215

38 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

that's a joke i have the late 2013 macbook pro and apple has so many problem with it from battery dying to screen coming off to gpu failing. for me once you get apple stuff you don't buy apple stuff. its nice to see you had different experience. for z10apex i would recommend a xps 15, its easily the best all around laptop.  

40 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

i have a 6splus and a 2015 mbp, when i replace my phone im going back to android unless apple puts the headphone jack back on the phone, and improves their battery life. Laptop wise, ill have to see how the game changes in the next 4 years. But as of now, I strongly dislike what apple is doing with their I/O, and i find it hilarious that you cant even connect the ip7 to the 16 mbp.