App for the forum

Murilo_A
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

For the 573957th time, we are not at this stage looking to develop a mobile app for the site. In future please use the search tool before suggesting things. :)

3 hours ago, Slick said:

It's pretty bad and also an issue for security and performance.

lol.

But seriously? Why don't you guys hire people outside LTT to make an app for you? (Yes I know that others have said money is an issue)

It wouldn't be that expensive, it would please a lot of people and I think it would be worth it.

And if money is really that much of an issue then why don't you just let us donate some money specifically for that cause?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But seriously? Why don't you guys hire people outside LTT to make an app for you? (Yes I know that others have said money is an issue)

It wouldn't be that expensive, it would please a lot of people and I think it would be worth it.

And if money is really that much of an issue then why don't you just let us donate some money specifically for that cause?

Because it's not a one off cost - ongoing maintainence, feature additons and ensuirng it is secure and compliant with latest OS versions adds up. Plus for the cost, it isn't worth the return.

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

Because it's not a one off cost

Then let people pay a subscription (Except just for this) just like contributing to the forum is a subscription.

- ongoing maintainence, feature additons and ensuirng it is secure and compliant with latest OS versions adds up.

Plus for the cost, it isn't worth the return.

IDK if you've ever used the mobile site but it's really bad imo.

I only ever view websites on my phone when there's no app for it. And navigating LTT Mobile site is really annoying.

So much so that it sort of punishes people using Mobile and is way more pleasant for PC.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

28 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'd accept an app with more ads than the website (as long as is not abusive)

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

are you high?

An app will always be easier to use on Mobile than a website.

Well it depends. I don't think it will be very useful on this website.

The geek himself.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

IDK if you've ever used the mobile site but it's really bad imo.

I only ever view websites on my phone when there's no app for it. And navigating LTT Mobile site is really annoying.

So much so that it sort of punishes people using Mobile and is way more pleasant for PC.

Not many people have been complaining about the mobile site, and none as much as you - it works fine for most people. Last time this topic came up, you gave some feedback, and some of that feedback has now been actioned. Font size is something that I will consider increasing in the next release (that doesn't mean I will increase it, just that if it is increased, it will be in the next update). Is there any other specific actionable feedback that you can give to help us improve the mobile site? If there isn't anything, the chances of the experience being better in a mobile app are very small, because any app would only ever be a slightly adapted version of the mobile site. If there is, I would like to improve it on the mobile site if possible.

HTTP/2 203

47 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Not many people have been complaining about the mobile site, and none as much as you - it works fine for most people. Last time this topic came up, you gave some feedback, and some of that feedback has now been actioned. Font size is something that I will consider increasing in the next release (that doesn't mean I will increase it, just that if it is increased, it will be in the next update)

FYI the font size doesn't really need increasing by too much.

47 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

. Is there any other specific actionable feedback that you can give to help us improve the mobile site?

The notification system feels like it takes a really long time on Mobile. IDK if you could modularize the notification system so that instead of loading all the notifications at once, it would instead load each notification separately.

When I get my phone back (hopefully today) I'll start to list my criticisms/feedback and come back with a post in the forum suggestions area specifically for mobile.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

are you high?

That would depend on app. For example Google search app is pure joke IMO. Or it was last time I had it installed. Why would I want to have app for opening browsed when I can just open browser directly? Another funny is gmail app. For reason unknown to me it only syncs last 3 months of emails when I've set it to 1 year. Which means I need to use browser version to search anything older than 3 months.

Sure app would please some needs, I don't deny that. But I personally don't have big addiction to forums to think I'd need app to satisfy it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

are you high?

Except that in this case the app would literally be exactly the same.

5 minutes ago, B3H1NDu said:

Except that in this case the app would literally be exactly the same.

Well designed apps function and look differently from websites.

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

Not many people have been complaining about the mobile site, and none as much as you - it works fine for most people. Last time this topic came up, you gave some feedback, and some of that feedback has now been actioned. Font size is something that I will consider increasing in the next release (that doesn't mean I will increase it, just that if it is increased, it will be in the next update). Is there any other specific actionable feedback that you can give to help us improve the mobile site? If there isn't anything, the chances of the experience being better in a mobile app are very small, because any app would only ever be a slightly adapted version of the mobile site. If there is, I would like to improve it on the mobile site if possible.

Honestly, the mobile site is really really good. Great UI and UX, however, I do feel that it can be slow when on mobile networks. I would recommend inlining a portion of the css and then deferring the loading, as this can make it feel a lot quicker, especially when on mobile, also if you combined all/most of your javascript into one file and then loaded it asynchronously it would feel a lot faster as well. Also, you should look at an image optimisation solution. Otherwise its as good as its gonna get.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well designed apps function and look differently from websites.

But why would they spend time redesigning a web app? What changes would you make? In this case, I cannot think of any someone would want to make.

1 minute ago, B3H1NDu said:

But why would they spend time redesigning a web app? What changes would you make? In this case, I cannot think of any someone would want to make.

Because using an app is way more convenient than using a website on mobile.

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Because using an app is way more convenient than using a website on mobile.

Slightly more convenient at best. It's one tap to launch an app whereas its about 3-4 to launch LTT on mobile (tap your browser, tap all tabs, tap new tab, tap ltt bookmark). Not to mention that on most phones you can add URL shortcuts to your home screen, which would be just as convenient as an app.

1 minute ago, B3H1NDu said:

Slightly more convenient at best. It's one tap to launch an app whereas its about 3-4 to launch LTT on mobile (tap your browser, tap all tabs, tap new tab, tap ltt bookmark). Not to mention that on most phones you can add URL shortcuts to your home screen, which would be just as convenient as an app.

whatever, If you don't recognize the benefits of an app then I won't try and convince you otherwise.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

whatever, If you don't recognize the benefits of an app then I won't try and convince you otherwise.

I make apps and websites for a living. I recognise their benefits. I also recognise that there would be almost no benefit in this use case (although, it could be cool to have a floatplane app, especially as DRM for offline playback for free users).