Delidding Intels 7700k drops temps by almost 30C

brighttail

Isn't this normal for Intel on heavy OCs?  For years and years they haven't soldered on the lids

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

On 12/16/2016 at 0:09 AM, AluminiumTech said:

I thought we gave up on the GHz race over 10 years ago.........

Why do we need a 5GHz CPU? We need a 3-4GHz CPU with significantly better IPC. Not some kind of BS overclocking for better performance.

No GHz is the future

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Can we please stop necroing this thread since the article's conclusions are BS b/c the testing is neither consistent nor accurate?

Can a mod just lock this please?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

20 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Can we please stop necroing this thread since the article's conclusions are BS b/c the testing is neither consistent nor accurate?

The thread would have to have died for weeks for it to be considered a necro. It's seen active postings every single day since it's post, so it's not a necro. I do agree their testing methodology is extremely flawed though.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:09 AM, AluminiumTech said:

I thought we gave up on the GHz race over 10 years ago.........

Why do we need a 5GHz CPU? We need a 3-4GHz CPU with significantly better IPC. Not some kind of BS overclocking for better performance.

We're getting to the point where IPC improvements on the new CPUs are within the margin of error, and soon going to be less than 1% between new generations and even the two brands(There's already a 0% increase going from Skylake to Kaby Lake). The GHz race is about to kick off again, except this time, it means something outside of marketing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

No, and you and everyone histrionically spouting "muh variables" when the original poster has clarified his variables is tantamount to spam. Read the original forum post https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/my-i7-7700k-has-arrived-insights-benchies-overclocks-inside-now-with-delid.2493250/

16th December

EDIT: 
Out of curiosity I googled 7700k delid and saw a number of websites reporting on my findings of the 30 degree temp drop, but were unsure on cooling method in both tests so thought I should clarify: The before and after tests were 100% identical (with exception of delid) to isolate the delid, both tests used:

• The same cooler at the same setting: Kraken X62 - Fan @ 50% and pump at @ 65% (by the way, this cooler is only about 3 degrees cooler than the H110i, but has better config available)
  • Exactly the same BIOS settings - which was a x50 multiplier and voltage offset with LLC level 2 resulting in a stable 1.344v under prime 95 load
  • Memory stock (C15) and Uncore stock.
  • Prime 95 v27.9 run for 15 minutes in both tests.
  • The same case / config / install (tested with case side panel installed - i.e. how i would actually use it for 24/7 use so the test would be more meaningful to me):https://s30.postimg.org/gzluzd7w1/Case.jpg

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

7 minutes ago, ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen said:

No, and you and everyone histrionically spouting "muh variables" when the original poster has clarified his variables is tantamount to spam. Read the original forum post https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/my-i7-7700k-has-arrived-insights-benchies-overclocks-inside-now-with-delid.2493250/

The OP should be updated with this forum post, as it clarifies a lot of issues I've had, including one from a completely different thread, months ago.

Member Chrisch has also witnessed similar temp drops after a delid on a 7700k with a different batch number, so this appears to be a trend (albeit with only 2 data points).

Chrisch also posted an impressive Geekbench score - 5GHz, DDR4-3200 15-17-17-35 2T:

geekbench-153ap8.png

Look at this score, @patrickjp93. Now tell me again, how GB's team did this: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/583064 while at the same clock speeds of the 6700k. After all, geekbench was your holy source at the time. The score from Chrisch above, was done with a 5ghz 7700k with DDR4 3200 C15-17-17-35-2 ram, and you know this test can be manipulated with memory bandwidth. Both results have an extremely similar multi core score, while Chrisch beat GB's single core score by 200. 

43 minutes ago, ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen said:

I was just about to make a similar post. I'm still scratching my head over how so many people in this thread are still completely misunderstanding how he did the testing.

edit - In case people didn't read your post. "The before and after tests were 100% identical (with exception of delid)"

Edited by Gibbons

4 hours ago, Swatson said:

As for people talking about TIM. I recommend MX-4. Why?  Well take a look. I use it on the die and the heatsink and for my GPU. I actually tried Indigo Extreme (on the IHS obv) and it was honestly garbage, CLU has it's issues and MX-4 is pretty much on par.

Reveal hidden contents

6cf61527e3.png

i personally love tuniq TX-4

not many people know about it, but it's one of the better non-conductive, non-abrasive thermal pastes

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5.5 GHz on 1.34V is absolutely insane.... and this is intel too.. my goodness the single core benchmarks are gonna be through the roof.

If consumer chips end up all being super awesome like this, I may be looking at my future CPU lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

also, people who want to delid should totally use a proper tool made for delidding CPU's rather than the typical vice/razor blade methods. A WHOLE LOT SAFER

Spoiler

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎16 at 3:19 AM, Gibbons said:

He isn't doing a review or scientific testing, he's just a guy on a forum was trying to get to 5GHz stable anyway he could.

From the tests he has done you can see that a delid makes a big difference. We just don't know the exact because yeah, variables.

There is zero evidence that delidding did anything.  That's the entire problem with having a half dozen variables.  It's not just a matter of knowing how much of an effect delidding had, we can't determine if it had any effect based on this data.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

4 minutes ago, sgloux3470 said:

There is zero evidence that delidding did anything.  That's the entire problem with having a half dozen variables.  It's not just a matter of knowing how much of an effect delidding had, we can't determine if it had any effect based on this data.

The forum post clarifies a lot, and trust me, you won't do 5ghz at all without a delid, so that alone is evidence of something. 

3 hours ago, MageTank said:

The thread would have to have died for weeks for it to be considered a necro. It's seen active postings every single day since it's post, so it's not a necro. I do agree their testing methodology is extremely flawed though.

Beating a dead horse then?

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

also, people who want to delid should totally use a proper tool made for delidding CPU's rather than the typical vice/razor blade methods. A WHOLE LOT SAFER

The vice method is full proof if you're not a moron, having done it for 9 people with no prior experience.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

The forum post clarifies a lot, and trust me, you won't do 5ghz at all without a delid, so that alone is evidence of something. 

If I didn't have to pay the Australia tax, I'd happily prove you wrong.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Beating a dead horse then?

Just making sure it's completely dead. 

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

If I didn't have to pay the Australia tax, I'd happily prove you wrong.

Your track record begs to differ.

18 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Just making sure it's completely dead. 

Your track record begs to differ.

Lol.

HAHAHAHA! No...

15 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Lol.

HAHAHAHA! No...

Yeah, I know. I've been the delusional one this entire time. I mean, Jim Keller clearly joined Intel. Skylake GT4e is vastly superior than the GTX 950 in gaming. That Zen chip was a Sandy Xeon. The list of times I've been wrong is just endless, right? Thank god there isn't a website hosting archived posts that can be quoted at a moments notice, proving how wrong I've been over the course of a few years. That'd be embarrassing.

Though, you have my attention. Are you going to bend the rules, and do 5ghz with a single core, simply booting into it without testing? Or are we talking full core count, 5ghz with 48k FFT's? Are you going to use an exotic cooling solution (DICE, LN2, etc)? I'll rephrase just in case.

Nobody can do 5ghz on a Haswell+ i7, on air or water, under stress, without a delid. If you can do this, you will have done something nobody else has done. I'll even tag @Lays because I know he would get a giggle out of this. 

6 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

But they do not do that, the stuff that was under the IHS was more like "gunk" than TIM... :S :

Reveal hidden contents

20150226_164446.jpg

I've actually found 1 odd thing with both my i5 4440 and i7 4790k. With the 4790K set to 3.1GHz+hyperthreading disabled+the cache limited to 3.1GHz (matching the i5), the i5 could idle at ambient under a Seidon 120V, while the 4790K kept its delta of around 5oC. And the 4790K has the higher uality TIM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

46 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Yeah, I know. I've been the delusional one this entire time. I mean, Jim Keller clearly joined Intel. Skylake GT4e is vastly superior than the GTX 950 in gaming. That Zen chip was a Sandy Xeon. The list of times I've been wrong is just endless, right? Thank god there isn't a website hosting archived posts that can be quoted at a moments notice, proving how wrong I've been over the course of a few years. That'd be embarrassing.

Though, you have my attention. Are you going to bend the rules, and do 5ghz with a single core, simply booting into it without testing? Or are we talking full core count, 5ghz with 48k FFT's? Are you going to use an exotic cooling solution (DICE, LN2, etc)? I'll rephrase just in case.

Nobody can do 5ghz on a Haswell+ i7, on air or water, under stress, without a delid. If you can do this, you will have done something nobody else has done. I'll even tag @Lays because I know he would get a giggle out of this. 

I reiterate: If I didn't have to pay the Australian tax... It's not like my parents buy my stuff, and there's not room in the apartment for a desk and PC anyway. Someone will do it when the chip hits retail.

I reiterate: If I didn't have to pay the Australian tax... It's not like my parents buy my stuff, and there's not room in the apartment for a desk and PC anyway. Someone will do it when the chip hits retail.

Perhaps they'd give you an allowance if you would be a good boy?

All jokes aside, I can't help but notice "when the chip hits retail". Does that mean you are referring to this 7700k? While I am skeptical 5ghz will be stable without a delid on this chip, there are not enough overclocking results for me to make an educated guess on how high they can clock without a delid. That being said, I know how voltage scales at 48k FFT, and I know how thermal runaway works. If you attempt this on water or air without a delid, you are gonna be in for a rude awakening. Be it hitting thermal junction repeatedly, crashing, or worse, let out the blue smoke. 

Anyone can pump high voltage and boot 5ghz. Having a chip survive 48k FFT or high memory capacity Linpack is an entirely different story at 5ghz. This is all ignoring the impact that faster ram has on CPU package temps. I won't even add that into the mix, lol. 

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

Perhaps they'd give you an allowance if you would be a good boy?

All jokes aside, I can't help but notice "when the chip hits retail". Does that mean you are referring to this 7700k? While I am skeptical 5ghz will be stable without a delid on this chip, there are not enough overclocking results for me to make an educated guess on how high they can clock without a delid. That being said, I know how voltage scales at 48k FFT, and I know how thermal runaway works. If you attempt this on water or air without a delid, you are gonna be in for a rude awakening. Be it hitting thermal junction repeatedly, crashing, or worse, let out the blue smoke. 

Anyone can pump high voltage and boot 5ghz. Having a chip survive 48k FFT or high memory capacity Linpack is an entirely different story at 5ghz. This is all ignoring the impact that faster ram has on CPU package temps. I won't even add that into the mix, lol. 

5GHz quad-stick 4266MHz DDR4, no delid, 95C tops :)

5GHz quad-stick 4266MHz DDR4, no delid, 95C tops :)

And the temps would be far lower+safer if you did a delid....

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

And the temps would be far lower+safer if you did a delid....

They'd also be far lower if I didn't run a torture test, but hey...

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

They'd also be far lower if I didn't run a torture test, but hey...

Even then. Remember, that the heat from the CPU will spread from the socket+pins through the PCB's copper....

PMSL

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:24 PM, brighttail said:

Thankfully Intel has some more time to deal with their thermal issues.

When originally tested, the 7700k CPU could obtain 5Ghz speed with 1.35v but was hitting temps of 100C!

"By delidding the CPU and applying CoolLabatory Liquid Thermal Paste and a Kraken x62 cooler, they were able to push it to 5.0Ghz using 1.344v with the fan set to 50%. The pump was at 65% and yet the temps plummeted by 30C.  An average of 26C."

Intel is set to launch Kaby Lake with the I7-7700k at CES in January 2017 so they have a little time to work on the thermals.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55497/7700k-delidded-30c-reduction-temps-wtf-intel/index.html

I looked to see if i missed this post already out there, I probably missed it 10 pages back so sorry if it is a repeat!

NOTE ** This is not a recommendation to delid ANY CPU!  It is advanced knowledge and if you have any questions I suggest you google the video Linus did on the procedure.  The point of this post was to show that the thermal compound Intel is using on these pre-production and review CPUs MAY result in much higher temperatures.

what the actual fuck is this?  They used a different cooler all together... not only that, they used the best single AIO liquid cooler on the market...  This is just a stupid article.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE