Australian Telcos will have to block torrent sites after court ruling.

Totallycasual

Australian internet providers will have to block torrent sites after a ruling in federal court today :( 

"

Telcos will have to block access to piracy sites and divert Australians towards a web page created by movie studios, the Federal court ruled on Thursday afternoon.

Foxtel welcomed the decision calling it a "major step in directly combating piracy". 

The Pirate Bay, Torrentz, Torrent Hound, IsoHunt and SolarMovie are some of the sites that will be blocked.  

In a case that covers more than fifty Australian internet service providers [ISPs], Justice John Nicholas of the Federal Court in Sydney ruled in favour of movie studios, including Roadshow Films, Colombia Pictures, Disney Studios, Paramount Pictures, and 20th Century Fox.  

The movie studios must now create and host a website within five days, which Australian ISPs will direct any user to who tries to connect to SolarMovie pirating site. The content owners will also have to pay Telstra, Optus, M2 (now Vocus Communications) and TPG a fee of $50 for every site they want blocked.  "

http://www.theage.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/pirating-sites-to-be-blocked-after-judge-rules-in-movie-studios-favour-20161215-gtbwfm.html

Will this be something the average tech savvy citizen can get around with a VPN or am i screwed? This is absolutely ridiculous, they wont be happy until Australians are left getting everything months late and at a much higher cost  lol  

Please correct your posting to match the guidelines for it not to be kicked out of Tech News subforum: 

Specifically this point:  Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s).

And my opinion is that Mal himself suggested the use to get around the metadata retention laws. Using a VPN will definitely work.

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

I checked the first few pages and didnt see anything, sorry if this was a re post a mod can go ahead and delete.  

7 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

Australian internet providers will have to block torrent sites after a ruling in federal court today :( 

http://www.theage.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/pirating-sites-to-be-blocked-after-judge-rules-in-movie-studios-favour-20161215-gtbwfm.html

Will this be something the average tech savvy citizen can get around with a VPN or am i screwed? lol  

holy lord these people are so stupid.. " This judgement gives us another tool to fight the international criminals who seek to profit from the hard work of actors, writers, directors and other creators the world over " - they don't profit that much, they earn money from ads but hosting a tracker and a large db is expensive as well as recruiting staff. these douchebags are blocking us access to content that is unfeasible to get otherwise, like the grand tour, etc. gt for example requires amazon prime which offers us little to no benefits for $100 USD a year. 

idk

Just now, Mooshi said:

How are Aussies even going to torrent with the 2mbps and 30GB data caps? 

exaggerated claims. I am on ADSL2+ which covers most of the population and I get 16Mbps and have a 1TB data cap for $70/mo

idk

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

How are Aussies even going to torrent with the 2mbps and 30GB data caps? 

Its more like "1TB internet uoted at 9Mbps minimum from Telstra, then stealth-dropped down to 6Mbps.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

exaggerated claims. I am on ADSL2+ which covers most of the population and I get 16Mbps and have a 1TB data cap for $70/mo

Just a bit. Though, I do have a buddy in Perth that has an awful ISP. 

BTW, I'll have to try and run a VPN on that^. Because I'm not putting up with DRM bullshit.

PMSL

And once again, VPN providers see a surge in users.

Dang the VPN companies must really be doing well right now...

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I however get 2mbps, and 500GB cap, from Telstra

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

You were saying?

5880781876.png

I live in Glenfield, 2167 for your information

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Just a bit. Though, I do have a buddy in Perth that has an awful ISP. 

I take it they have wireless? Because I know the pain. Years of shitty service, which peaked at $150/25GB, and after Telstra spent 15 minutes working down the street to get ADSL connected (the wiring in the street always supported it).

PMSL

3 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

I however get 2mbps, and 500GB cap, from Telstra

You were saying?

5880781876.png

I live in Glenfield, 2167 for your information

5880789129.png

Belong, 1TB cap. Inner west area

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

5880789129.png

Belong, 1TB cap. Inner west area

Brisbane, northside:

5880791180.png

Note that its better than my old Optus connection at half the distance (upload and download).

PMSL

I know for a fact many in nz and oz are only pirating because of regional exclusion. Game of thrones is an example of a show that was the number one pirated show and was years late to the legitimate market. They need to deal with piracy but they also need to give consumers the content they want without location discrimination

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I know for a fact many in nz and oz are only pirating because of regional exclusion.

This pretty much sums it up for me too, i don't like how a couple of bullies have control over everything here and we're forced to enter into expensive contracts because they have the regions rights to one show i like.  They actively take steps to block us from paying for the same show at a reasonable price directly with a US company. 

3 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

This pretty much sums it up for me too, i don't like how a couple of bullies have control over everything here and we're forced to enter into expensive contracts because they have the regions rights to one show i like.  They actively take steps to block us from paying for the same show at a reasonable price directly with a US company. 

Its the distributer dictating the market. The creaters and especially the consumer are getting screwed. The likes of sky TV gets no sympathy from me

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Meh, this won't do much.

The only good thing is that that they need to pay money to get a website blocked.

I mean to block most piratebay proxies it will cost them a few grand :D

And every popular torrent sites has a t least a handful of proxies soo...

O yea, also vpn's and proxies. I mean as soon as you have the torrent and are downloading, no worries right? :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

"Telcos will have to block access to piracy sites and divert Australians towards a web page created by movie studios, the Federal court ruled on Thursday afternoon."

On phone so can't edit.

This is the part that caught my eye. The funny thing is that, believe it or not, people don't only pirate movies. Since this is happening, they should include music labels, Microsoft, Adobe, game publishers and so on. Everyone who has their stuff pirates. Seems only fair right? This is nothing more than movie studios trying to force their hand into law, and I hope others that I have mentioned stand up to them, at least in this.  

As far as I get it, movie studios could sue you for being redirected there with saying you wanted to pirate movie, when you wanted to dl something that is free and being shared on a torrent site.

Just to be clear, the part that is annoying me is how they only mention movie studios, and it's always them. They are not necessarily the ones losing the most money. If we're looking at money per media downloaded, they are far from it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

for 70$ i can get 5-6 gigabit lines with unlimited data

3 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

for 70$ i can get 5-6 gigabit lines with unlimited data

lmao that's super cheap

fastest internet in AU is NBN Fibre, it tops out at 100Mbit and you pay upwards of $100 AUD a month

idk

10 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

lmao that's super cheap

fastest internet in AU is NBN Fibre, it tops out at 100Mbit and you pay upwards of $100 AUD a month

And it was originally pitched as most homes having 100Mbps internet off it. That of course didn't happen due to speed tiers being introduced, and using Telstra's abysmal copper network for some parts (I should have taken some photos of their pits while I was concreting for the council).

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

And it was originally pitched as most homes having 100Mbps internet off it. That of course didn't happen due to speed tiers being introduced, and using Telstra's abysmal copper network for some parts (I should have taken some photos of their pits while I was concreting for the council).

my dad is in one of the rare areas that has full 100mbit, it's insanely quick compared to even fast ADSL. except when I'm there, im confined to shitty wifi as there is no space in the study for a little 250d and an ultrawide haha

idk