Display port to HDMI 2.0

Glaith

That itself is interesting, the Samsung product page itself does not mention HDR but it seems this was a later firmware update.  But you'd think that Samsung would update the product page.

That said, I think the TV itself is only capable of processing and ingesting HDR, it's not an HDR capable display itself, but it improves it's overall compatibility

35 minutes ago, Enderman said:

But can it do 10 bit colour?

My point is that it is not the same thing as having an actual HDMI 2.0 device, like a decent graphics card.

GTX900, GTX1000, RX400, they all have HDMI 2.0 and it's better than using an adapter.

Stop trying to pretend that you can magically convert from one format to another as if all the circuitry in between doesn't exist :)

Oh, that's a good point, I never thought of-

(from Amazon)

color depths on 38402160 at60hz, - DP: RGB 6/8/10/12-bit per component (bpc) and YCbCr4:4:4, YCbCr4:2:2 bpc 8/10/12 bpc
color depths on 38402160 at60hz, - HDMI: RGB 8/10/12 bpc; YCbCr4:4:4, YCbCr4:2:2 and YCbCr4:2:0 8/10/12 bpc

... Oh.

I had a big long post done up here, but that's pretty pointless at this stage. If you persist, I'm just going to go ahead and tune out. The OP wasn't looking for FUD, the OP was looking for answers. These are the answers. Does the OP need a new GPU? No. For Skyrim at 4K60 running anywhere close to 60? Sure. But that's not what the question was. The question was, verbatim, "Is there a cable that will do Display port from my 290x to the HDMI 2.0 port in the TV". The answer is yes, there is, yes, it will work, and no, it will not induce a loss of quality. @AshleyAshes has first-hand proof of that.

1 minute ago, Runefox said:

Oh, that's a good point, I never thought of-

... Oh.

I had a big long post done up here, but that's pretty pointless at this stage. If you persist, I'm just going to go ahead and tune out. The OP wasn't looking for FUD, the OP was looking for answers. These are the answers. Does the OP need a new GPU? No. For Skyrim at 4K60 running anywhere close to 60? Sure. But that's not what the question was. The question was, verbatim, "Is there a cable that will do Display port from my 290x to the HDMI 2.0 port in the TV". The answer is yes, there is, yes, it will work, and no, it will not induce a loss of quality. @AshleyAshes has first-hand proof of that.

I can guarantee you that it can't do all of that.

HDMI 2.0b doesn't even support all those at the same time, there isn't enough bandwidth.

Maybe with a future version of HDMI that doesn't exist yet? I hope...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So, in conclusion, yeah, there's a $20 adaptor to suit the OPs task and it's a great choice that gets the job done on existing hardware with no compromises.  :)

Huzzah! we got there guys!

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

1 minute ago, Glathier said:

Huzzah! we got there guys!

Most of us were already there. :)  Really, just make sure you carefully read the specs for whatever you buy, it must explicitly state that it can do 4K@60hz, anything that doesn't outright state that, assume it can't.