BTA

[Build ''Log''] Next Gen PS2 - ITX Gaming PC inside a Playstation

Posted · Original PosterOP

So this build log is probably being wrote all at once... o.O I'll not post pictures to this post, i'll try keep this short..

I've allways liked how playstations look like (except ps3), especially older version of playstation 2 (fat ps2). On this mindset i started to think could i maybe build HTPC inside a PS2? Few weeks later i found myself searching for good condition ps2's as used and managed to find 2 ''mint'' condition ones for 20€ (phew this build is going to be expensive :/). After couple months i found time to play more with this project idea, tinkering and measuring resulted positive mindset ''This is possible!''.

I was wondering about HTPC, hmm it should play 1080p movies and be silent and stuff..

• I went and bought Noctua NH-L9x65 and NH-L9i
  • MSI H97i AC ITX motherboard (lga 1150)
  • PicoPSU

Had G3250 laying around, ye i'll use that. Ended up to OC it to maximum and switching it to other system to continue OC much as i could. ''Hmmh what could i use now?'' ''hmmh i have this 4690k i'll give it a shot''- i thought.

1. 4690k 4000MHz, Core voltages 0.964v 100% stable
  2. Temps? Noctua cooler recomended for something around 65w, 4690k TDP is 88w.

''I have 4690k on my system, this is not HTPC anymore... I need a GPU'' GTX 750ti sure i can fit that, if i cant Dremel will help. I ended up to modding my Gigabyte GTX 750ti, because best size and cooler i could mod to fit.

Okay. At that point my idea had gone through evolution from HTPC--->Lan PC. As CS:GO player ''how many fps?'' 175-400 1920x1080 max settings (except the bad ones)

• TODO list
  • Mounting all
  • Cooling all
  • Build front USB 3.0 to work on original usb spot
  • Working original power/reset button with original LEDS
  • Print covers for controller plug holes and other stands
  • Stand for console, similiar to original one.

For power i ended up modding Dell-Da02 power brick from old office pc's. Had wierd problems with Pico and had to add some capasitors. RAM some low profile kingston.

First i was planning to use Noctua fans, but their brownish color theme really did not fit, so changed them to Corsair QE SP120mm's. Plan was to make it stand (like it should) and fans could be on backside ''hidden''= maintaining the original look.

• Part list:
  • Intel i5 4690k at 4GHz
  • MSI H97i ac (overclocking enabled)
  • Kingston low profile ram 2x4GB was plan but only had 2x2GB. Going to upgrade this most likely.
  • PicoPSU + Dell DA02 Power brick
  • Gigabyte GTX 750ti
  • Noctua L65i CPU cooler
  • Corsair SP120mm QE
  • Case: Playstation 2 FAT

At this point, i will let the videos do the demonstration. Please let me know your thoughts and questions, i really enjoy explaining and answering!^_^

DSC05424_zpstl7eriyo.jpg
DSC05423_zpse0zwumz3.jpg
DSC05422_zps2tbejp4j.jpg
DSC05421_zpsp2ay7xlu.jpg
DSC08602_zpslsru3eit.jpg
DSC08601_zpspsspmhkw.jpg

15536683_1642047939154003_1288870035_o.jpg

This is the coolest and most original build log I've seen in a long time. I love things like this.

Followed.

FrostByte - My build | Ryzen 5 1600 | Cryorig H7 | GTX 1080 | 16GB Team Dark | MSI B350 PC MATE | 1.5TB SSD/HDDs | EVGA GS 650 | Corsair 400C White |

~GPU Performance Tier List~

Other builds:

The Extrion XV1 - My brother's build | i5 4460 | R7 260X | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | ASRock H97M Pro4 | 500GB Hybrid Drive | Seasonic S12II 430B | Corsair Spec Alpha |

FrostBit - My other friend's build | Pentium G4560 | MSI B250M Pro-VD | 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | Corsair CX450 | ThermalTake Core V21 |

Almost there - My friend's build | i3 4170 | R7 240 | MSI H81m P33 | 8GB PNY XLR8 | 2TB WD Blue | CX 430 | Corsair Spec 01 |

Laptop: 

HP Envy thing (shared with mom) - | i7 4700MQ | GT 740M | 1080p Touchscreen | 8GB RAM | 1TB HDD |

Phone:

Google Pixel XL | Android 8.0 | Verizon |

@ShadowTechXTS x @Vulrax <3

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

This is the coolest and most original build log I've seen in a long time. I love things like this.

Followed.

Thank you, it's wierd how much hearing something positive can cheer a bad day up^_^

e. I'm sure you'll love what i've on my project TODO list :D

I think my favourite part of this one is how you did the GTX 750 Ti. Cheers!

The Glorious PSU Tier list is back in action!

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)
Framepainting-inator: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB (Sometimes as high as 1450 core, 2310 memory) (mining as we speak)

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333 CAS 9

Computerarmor: CM Elite 360 (Moddded to all hell by now)

Rememberdoogle: 120GB Trion 150 + 1TB WD RE+

AdditionalPylons: Corsair CX450M

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: EVGA Torq X3

Auralnterface: $15 Philips earbuds yay

Liquidrectangles: AOC G2260VWQ6 (Freesync 75Hz), Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

Just now, Energycore said:

I think my favourite part of this one is how you did the GTX 750 Ti. Cheers!

^_^

Just now, dizmo said:

I was expecting simple ideas, instead of a finished result, or something that looks super janky.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and totally wrong!

Looks killer. Love the color matching. :x

I'm happy to prove you wrong B| Corsairs really fit pretty nicely and blue stand print.

Looks AMAZING! God, I want it. xD

If you haven't held a SNES controller before, you don't know gaming.

well okay that's not entirely true but still go play a fucking SNES if you haven't.

Current Rig

FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB - 16GB Hyper x Fury - Crucial BX100 250GB SSD - CM 212 EVO - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - EVGA 650w 80+ Gold G2 PSU

CM Elite 430 Black - WD Blue 1TB

Secondary Rig

Acer veriton 6900 pro tricked the hell out, Q6600, 64GB SSD, 8GB RAM, GTX 670, 250GB HDD

(LOVE this thing, not quite sure why I like using it so much, maybe because it's such an underdog PC pushed way further than it was intended to be)

Trusty old Athlon 64 Rig

Athlon 64 X2 3000+ @ 2.16ghz - Radeon 9600 Pro - 1GB DDR - GB K8NSC939 - 500w CM PSU

I've been working on my own PS2 build off and on for a while but I'm having thermal problems because I'm trying to not change the exterior.  But you totally gave me a bunch of ideas that will probably help me finish mine up.  Mostly for so reason I never thought of using hot glue for the usb ports, I had no idea how I was going to attach them.  *facepalm*
Thank you and great work!

6 hours ago, Arkratos said:

I've been working on my own PS2 build off and on for a while but I'm having thermal problems because I'm trying to not change the exterior.  But you totally gave me a bunch of ideas that will probably help me finish mine up.  Mostly for so reason I never thought of using hot glue for the usb ports, I had no idea how I was going to attach them.  *facepalm*
Thank you and great work!

Thank you man, happy to help. Accually i'm not using hot glue anymore there, instead Loctite Power Flex. Tho i dont like loctite new glue's, package is huge but accually theres only few grams of glue.

Looks great! A little disappointing that the fans have to be outside, but especially with the new PSU there's really no space for them inside the case :D The cablework looks great, did you sleeve the cables yourself?

19 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

Looks great! A little disappointing that the fans have to be outside, but especially with the new PSU there's really no space for them inside the case :D The cablework looks great, did you sleeve the cables yourself?

Thank you, yes i sleeved cables myself. I'm going to make PS2 HTPC with fans being inside.

On 12/14/2016 at 3:32 PM, BTA said:

So this build log is probably being wrote all at once... o.O I'll not post pictures to this post, i'll try keep this short..

I've allways liked how playstations look like (except ps3), especially older version of playstation 2 (fat ps2). On this mindset i started to think could i maybe build HTPC inside a PS2? Few weeks later i found myself searching for good condition ps2's as used and managed to find 2 ''mint'' condition ones for 20€ (phew this build is going to be expensive :/). After couple months i found time to play more with this project idea, tinkering and measuring resulted positive mindset ''This is possible!''.

I was wondering about HTPC, hmm it should play 1080p movies and be silent and stuff..

• I went and bought Noctua NH-L9x65 and NH-L9i
  • MSI H97i AC ITX motherboard (lga 1150)
  • PicoPSU

Had G3250 laying around, ye i'll use that. Ended up to OC it to maximum and switching it to other system to continue OC much as i could. ''Hmmh what could i use now?'' ''hmmh i have this 4690k i'll give it a shot''- i thought.

1. 4690k 4000MHz, Core voltages 0.964v 100% stable
  2. Temps? Noctua cooler recomended for something around 65w, 4690k TDP is 88w.

''I have 4690k on my system, this is not HTPC anymore... I need a GPU'' GTX 750ti sure i can fit that, if i cant Dremel will help. I ended up to modding my Gigabyte GTX 750ti, because best size and cooler i could mod to fit.

Okay. At that point my idea had gone through evolution from HTPC--->Lan PC. As CS:GO player ''how many fps?'' 175-400 1920x1080 max settings (except the bad ones)

• TODO list
  • Mounting all
  • Cooling all
  • Build front USB 3.0 to work on original usb spot
  • Working original power/reset button with original LEDS
  • Print covers for controller plug holes and other stands
  • Stand for console, similiar to original one.

For power i ended up modding Dell-Da02 power brick from old office pc's. Had wierd problems with Pico and had to add some capasitors. RAM some low profile kingston.

First i was planning to use Noctua fans, but their brownish color theme really did not fit, so changed them to Corsair QE SP120mm's. Plan was to make it stand (like it should) and fans could be on backside ''hidden''= maintaining the original look.

• Part list:
  • Intel i5 4690k at 4GHz
  • MSI H97i ac (overclocking enabled)
  • Kingston low profile ram 2x4GB was plan but only had 2x2GB. Going to upgrade this most likely.
  • PicoPSU + Dell DA02 Power brick
  • Gigabyte GTX 750ti
  • Noctua L65i CPU cooler
  • Corsair SP120mm QE
  • Case: Playstation 2 FAT

At this point, i will let the videos do the demonstration. Please let me know your thoughts and questions, i really enjoy explaining and answering!^_^

Reveal hidden contents

DSC05424_zpstl7eriyo.jpg
DSC05423_zpse0zwumz3.jpg
DSC05422_zps2tbejp4j.jpg
DSC05421_zpsp2ay7xlu.jpg
DSC08602_zpslsru3eit.jpg
DSC08601_zpspsspmhkw.jpg

15536683_1642047939154003_1288870035_o.jpg

It's... it's...

Beautiful

Image result for heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa

Glorious PC Gaming Master Race

Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, Bethesda, and Marvel fanboy. I also love Nvidia and Intel, although Team Red is pretty great also.

Windows and Linux are good, but I stay away from MacOS. It's odd. I'm ok with Linux and Windows and pretty much every flavor of which I know well and can use, but I always was never good with MacOS, and didn't like it much.

More of a hardware guy than anything, I don't know jack shit about networking or programming

Compootis Devices:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: Asus X370-PRIME, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8gb DDR4-3000, Boot Drive: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7.2k RPM 2TB HDD, GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black Edition, Case: Fractal Design R5, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Logitech G413 PRODIGY, Mouse: Logitech G203 PRODIGY Wireless, Headphones: Logitech G403 Wireless, Monitor: Acer XB271HU (2560x1440 165hz G-Sync).

Video Editing/Project Manager:

Spoiler

Random Optiplex from Staples lol. It was free so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I think it has an i3-2100 in it, and the GPU is an 8400GS. Horrible, I know.

Server:

Spoiler

Random NAS server I bought online

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Chromebook 13

Step 1: Secure the keys

Step 2: Ascend from darkness

Step 3: Rain fire

Step 4: Unleash the horde

Step 5: Skewer the winged beast

Step 6: Wield a fist of iron