What do we want from zen?

I was thinking...

What do i want zen to be and i thought it would be interesting to see what the community want it to be.Its going to be called ryzen and i hope to god that it PUTS PRESSURE ON INTEL TO STOP CRUSHING MY HOPES AND DREAMS WITH HIGH PRICES.

So lets find out what other normal...people think.

1 minute ago, vikiplayz said:

Snip

I think people need to stop with this thought process... everyone wants Zen to battle intel's offerings for the sole purpose of bringing intels prices down... why not hope Zen can be better than intel? give us a reason to pick AMD again? AMD isn't going to be around forever if all you want them to do is lower intel/nvidia prices and never buy AMD products...

I want zen to be better but im probably going to by it so my wallet doesn't die.Also i think that the only reason people have this mindset is that amd haven't done anything particularly good for years now.

Also the reason i would want them to do that is because it encourages competition which will in-turn make all products great again.

7 minutes ago, vikiplayz said:

I was thinking...

What do i want zen to be and i thought it would be interesting to see what the community want it to be.Its going to be called ryzen and i hope to god that it PUTS PRESSURE ON INTEL TO STOP CRUSHING MY HOPES AND DREAMS WITH HIGH PRICES.

So lets find out what other normal...people think.

What I need Zen to be is on par with a "theoretical" i7-5770k...  With the feature set of Kaby Lake (I need more PCIE lanes!!!)...  And a power draw within 20% of current Intel offerings.  If it can bring all of this, at a 5-10% price reduction of the competitive Intel part...  I'm happy.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

7 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I think people need to stop with this thought process... everyone wants Zen to battle intel's offerings for the sole purpose of bringing intels prices down... why not hope Zen can be better than intel? give us a reason to pick AMD again? AMD isn't going to be around forever if all you want them to do is lower intel/nvidia prices and never buy AMD products...

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!  We don't need AMD to do well just so we can buy Intel/Nvidia stuff cheaper...  We need AMD to do well so we have a compelling reason to buy AMD products again.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

I want Zen to be something that could draw me into building a new custom rig. I'm still rocking many Core 2 Duos, so I could use the upgrade more than most. Plus I want to see AMD do well. It would be good for  change.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Cheap quad-cores, mitx, wifi support (or at least integration on mobos).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

With AMDs temps? Doubt it.

:P 

Although lately AMD temps are considerably lower than Intel's, since their CPUs would throttle at lower temps (more than 70 would kill an FX, intel's can reach 80 under load, nothing to see here). The problem is what it takes to keep them at that ^_^

I really want to see what their 4c/8t processor is like. Could very well be my next processor if they manage to put out some decent mITX motherboards.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if these have iGPUs? They don't, correct?

Is there built in video solutions on the AMD motherboards?

It's been so long since I've looked at their stuff I can't remember.

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Cheap quad-cores, mitx, wifi support (or at least integration on mobos).

Totally agree, that's one reason I never considered them in the past.

Though their chips created too much heat to really use such a board.

Glad to see them slaying the TDP with these ones.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!  We don't need AMD to do well just so we can buy Intel/Nvidia stuff cheaper...  We need AMD to do well so we have a compelling reason to buy AMD products again.

Look by making intel get cheaper this will result in innovation which in turn lead to better products

I mostly want to see nice cheap 8+ core CPUs to build BOINC rigs out of.  The old 1090T six core Thuban in my Folder/BOINC rig has been a sturdy little CPU.

O, and they better as hell have ITX boards for their high end CPUs.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if these have iGPUs? They don't, correct?

Is there built in video solutions on the AMD motherboards?

It's been so long since I've looked at their stuff I can't remember.

Totally agree, that's one reason I never considered them in the past.

Though their chips created too much heat to really use such a board.

Glad to see them slaying the TDP with these ones.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the one demoed doesn't. However, they will have APUs in the same socket as well. There is a last iteration on the previous architecture that runs on AM4, and then they are going to make Zen-based AM4 APUs.

I honestly just hope that they can live up their hype or else they will never recover.

What do I want from Zen? A processor that isn't "it's as good as Intel's (insert 1-2gen old SKU)  chip!" 

Why would I, as a consumer, wait for 2 year old performance let only be hype? You can either buy 2 gen old Intel stuff cheaper at that time anyway or have more than enough time to save a little extra for a current Intel platform due to "It will be out eventually.." slide-showey AMD.

I don't want to wait for outdated performance when current petformance of the competition is crushing it. That's how I feel. 

I'm still curious and can see myself upgrading the GF's rig, but not if it can't wow me over the now aged 2500k.

8 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the one demoed doesn't. However, they will have APUs in the same socket as well. There is a last iteration on the previous architecture that runs on AM4, and then they are going to make Zen-based AM4 APUs.

Yeah, they're usually considerably cheaper though. It's just nice knowing that you can still use the PC if you have an issue with the video card.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

38 minutes ago, vikiplayz said:

PUTS PRESSURE ON INTEL TO STOP CRUSHING MY HOPES AND DREAMS WITH HIGH PRICES.

you're gonna be disappointed, that's for sure.

if you're hoping to see intel i7 performance for amd FX pricing, thats not gonna happen any time soon.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you're gonna be disappointed, that's for sure.

if you're hoping to see intel i7 performance for amd FX pricing, thats not gonna happen any time soon.

Im happy to pay its just that the premium you pay in my opinion is steep so i hope amd can lower that to make really good budget build possible.

Just now, vikiplayz said:

Im happy to pay its just that the premium you pay in my opinion is steep so i hope amd can lower that to make really good budget build possible.

i dont pay a premium, i just get the faster product, and when AMD makes a faster product it's just gonna be more expensive as well ;)

Yes but THEY need the market share and the only way that's going to happen is if they price lower than intel so it's not like they have that much of a choice.They need that market share .

23 minutes ago, vikiplayz said:

Look by making intel get cheaper this will result in innovation which in turn lead to better products

Okay... Let me lay it out for you...

AMD launches Bulldozer and realizes the market isn't shifting with their new product they spent 4 years, and billions of dollars, on...  They continue to work on Piledriver, launch the product and realize that even more so the market is shifting AWAY from their product and towards their competitors.

The market has now shifted so much, that it would cost them more money than they would make to release Steamroller in a full package, and they don't even bother with Excavator.  Imagine that kind of thought process inside a company, and what kind of options they went through.

In addition to this they started, prematurely, developing their next design in "Zen" and have been developing on it for the past 4 years, investing nearly $8 billion dollars in this one chip design.

The picture I'm trying to paint is how invested AMD is in this design.  If Ryzen fails, AMD will no longer make enthusiast chips after this.  They will be making LP chips and Graphics chips only, if that.  They might fold altogether, IF RYZEN FAILS.  (I honestly don't see it failing, especially right off the bat.  I see it being a great success.)

Now here is the big thing to consider...  WHO CARES if Intel parts go down in price for the next year or two?  If AMD doesn't make a part that isn't actually taking market share away from Intel?  As a matter of fact, AMD could launch a product that is WORLDS better than anything Intel has, and if it doesn't take away market share then Intel will never lower prices or even consider putting more effort in R&D.  If this chip doesn't pull away market share, then it wont make any money for AMD.  If it doesn't make money for AMD, then AMD folds...  If AMD folds, then Intel will be your ONLY option in 5 years.  Period.

The point is quit looking at this from the "wait just 1 more month because that Intel chip will be cheaper"...  You need to look at this from a "wait just 1 more month because this new AMD chip might be in my system" and if you don't, then AMD's Ryzen is already a failure.

Spoiler

A great CPU, good for gaming and for video editing

Perhaps not as good as Intel, but much lower priced.

Considering all the games I play are old, and i don't do alot of editing, I've decided to switch to team red next time i build my pc, so i just want low prices w/o shit hardware

Shipping sucks

Look on the bulldozer architecture amd were just slow and by the time they were ready the market moved on to newer and better things,lets just hope for their sake that that doesnt happen again.