AMD New Horizon

Clanscorpia
18 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

6 core or GTFO. That's the optimized count for Star Citizen.

You should play it on a FX-6300 then.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

You should play it on a FX-6300 then.

That's only a 3 module 6 thread CPU, and a shit one at that. Its far from a 6 core.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

That's only a 3 module 6 thread CPU, and a shit one at that. Its far from a 6 core.

Do I have to add /s tags every time? :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

For that yeah because so many noobs think AMD "8 cores" are actual 8 cores.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, Energycore said:

The majority of people still stay its a 6 core when due to its CMT architecture it isn't, so yes (its one of those things where its technically true, but when I went from a 2.2GHz Phenom II X4 N970 to a "uad core" A8 4555M which boosts to 2.4GHz, fuck AMD because it certainly doesn't perform like it has the stated cores)

Spoiler

Capture.PNG

PMSL

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The majority of people still stay its a 6 core when due to its CMT architecture it isn't, so yes (its one of those things where its technically true, but when I went from a 2.2GHz Phenom II X4 N970 to a "uad core" A8 4555M which boosts to 2.4GHz, fuck AMD because it certainly doesn't perform like it has the stated cores)

Reveal hidden contents

Capture.PNG

I'll be that guy and say that if you load the CPU with AVX, it is actually a 6-core :P

But I get all y'all. You can chill.

I understand you're salty about that A8-4555M, don't worry the time of CPUs that weak is now done.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

@done12many2 heres a thing that might interest you https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O2Or6XOETZr3a4gLAuCuYEx8m5X_lv23LdwZiCZpBcM/edit#gid=0

a comparison spreadsheet of the blender times 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

@done12many2 heres a thing that might interest you https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O2Or6XOETZr3a4gLAuCuYEx8m5X_lv23LdwZiCZpBcM/edit#gid=0

a comparison spreadsheet of the blender times 

That is very interesting.  Are all of these using the AMD provided render file used in the comparison demo from New Horizon?  If so, that is an impressive amount of submissions so fast.

I also notice they have the Ryzen chip listed as having run the render at 100 samples instead of the default 200.

Thanks for sharing that.  I may go ahead and run mine again at 100 now.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I also notice they have the Ryzen chip listed as having run the render at 100 samples instead of the default 200.

yes amd stated that it was run at 100 and not 200 wich is why so many had issues , the sheet is sourced from >here<

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

@done12many2 buddy, you are trying way too hard to convince people to think. That's not going to happen on the internet. Sometimes, the most simplistic solution, is the right solution. The simple answer is: Not a single benchmark provided by a company with a conflict of interest; is to be trusted, nor perceived as accurate. If any company; be it AMD, Intel or Nvidia, releases a benchmark claiming X performance, automatically assume it's false until a third party proves otherwise.

I understand the desire to test, and try to get early confirmation by comparing your own results, but it's still pointless. Even if you do match or beat it, people will claim that the hardware is not out yet, and still has time to make adjustments. Anyone that has ran blender, should look at those times and automatically question their validity. I don't even own an 8 core SKU, and I question it, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

53 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

52 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Reveal hidden contents

Capture.PNG

CMT architecture is optimized for workloads that have long threads of instructions. When operated as intended, all 8 cores of a Bulldozer Octocore act as any other Octocore or SMT Quadcore.

AMD's Hexacores are true 6 cored CPUs, their Octocores are true 8 core CPUs. The only people claiming that they aren't, are people that don't understand what actually constitutes a core from a module.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, MageTank said:

@done12many2 buddy, you are trying way too hard to convince people to think. That's not going to happen on the internet. Sometimes, the most simplistic solution, is the right solution. The simple answer is: Not a single benchmark provided by a company with a conflict of interest; is to be trusted, nor perceived as accurate. If any company; be it AMD, Intel or Nvidia, releases a benchmark claiming X performance, automatically assume it's false until a third party proves otherwise.

I understand the desire to test, and try to get early confirmation by comparing your own results, but it's still pointless. Even if you do match or beat it, people will claim that the hardware is not out yet, and still has time to make adjustments. Anyone that has ran blender, should look at those times and automatically question their validity. I don't even own an 8 core SKU, and I question it, lol. 

I don't question the results, I question how its being reported and how the small details don't always make it out to the public.

AMD has nothing to gain from skewing their benchmarks to make ZEN look better. If they did, it'd be a repeat of Bulldozer, except it'd be AMD's fault and not shoddy reporting. It'd effectively push away potential customers, and in all probability, AMD would go under by the end of next year.

I have no reason to consider AMD's benchmarks false or skewed, because I have no reason to consider AMD in a place where they could survive the fallout once ZEN released.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I don't question the results, I question how its being reported and how the small details don't always make it out to the public.

AMD has nothing to gain from skewing their benchmarks to make ZEN look better. If they did, it'd be a repeat of Bulldozer, except it'd be AMD's fault and not shoddy reporting. It'd effectively push away potential customers, and in all probability, AMD would go under by the end of next year.

I have no reason to consider AMD's benchmarks false or skewed, because I have no reason to consider AMD in a place where they could survive the fallout once ZEN released.

That would be true, if it hasn't already been done before. With that logic, Intel had nothing to gain from skewing the benchmarks for the Pentium. The simple point is, never take a company for their word. Always wait for reviews from multiple (multiple being the key word here) third party sources. Don't just trust your favorite source, always gather information from multiple sources and compare against each other. 

AMD is in a desperate situation. Zen has to not only compete in terms of performance, it has to sell well. AMD cards can compete with Nvidia cards, but they do not sell well, which is a problem. They cannot have this happen for the CPU division. Skewing a result (while not exactly lying, they can always use a disclaimer saying results may vary) is not unheard of when in a desperate situation.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

@done12many2

Unbenannt.png

Edit: just saw that blender says on its own 

Unbenannt2.PNG

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Very well said and very true.

I enjoyed the fact that AMD said, something to the effect of "Here, try it yourself and see how fast your rig is compared to our new monster."  I knew right off the bat after my first render that something wasn't right.  

You hit the nail on the head.  If it doesn't add up, wait for third parties.

I look forward to returning to this thread in a few months after all these Ryzen chips show up.

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Actually, AMD has a great deal to gain.  You can't have a fantastic launch with average performance results.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Actually, AMD has a great deal to gain.  You can't have a fantastic launch with average performance results.

Bulldozer was skewed by reporters and eMagazines, and now AMD barely scrapes by on the PS4, Xbox One, cheap ass laptops, and GPUs that sell way less than they should.

AMD might gain somewhat in the first month or two, but once they get called out, they can both no longer salvage any reputation they had before Zen, and they lose so many customers that they cannot break even.

In the end, AMD has nothing to gain and everything to lose if they skew the results in their favor.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Was that at 100?

yes

PSU Tier list

52 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

CMT architecture is optimized for workloads that have long threads of instructions. When operated as intended, all 8 cores of a Bulldozer Octocore act as any other Octocore or SMT Quadcore.

AMD's Hexacores are true 6 cored CPUs, their Octocores are true 8 core CPUs. The only people claiming that they aren't, are people that don't understand what actually constitutes a core from a module.

Only their Phenom II X6 are true hex cores. The rest are far from it as they do not contain all the components of 2x CPU in each module, only some. Modules=1x FPU, 2x ALU. Cores=1x FPU, 1x ALU.

PMSL

55 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Bulldozer octocore =/= SMT quadcore. It's completely different.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Only their Phenom II X6 are true hex cores. The rest are far from it as they do not contain all the components of 2x CPU in each module, only some. Modules=1x FPU, 2x ALU. Cores=1x FPU, 1x ALU.

The integer cluster and ALU are the only components that actually make a core. The FPU is a separate, yet vital component.

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Bulldozer octocore =/= SMT quadcore. It's completely different.

I said that when operated as intended for a good reason. To imply that they aren't used as intended, and that is why they seem so shitty.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The integer cluster and ALU are the only components that actually make a core. The FPU is a separate, yet vital component.

I said that when operated as intended for a good reason. To imply that they aren't used as intended, and that is why they seem so shitty.

Pst, most programs make use of the FPU, very few actually use the ALU only now-in fact its been that way since the 386 got replaced by the 486 with its built in co-pro.

PMSL

Pst, most programs make use of the FPU, very few actually use the ALU only now-in fact its been that way since the 386 got replaced by the 486 with its built in co-pro.

That's nice and fine, it doesn't change the fact that AMD made an octocore that had an architecture that went against every method developers used, and it suffered for it.

It doesn't change the fact that the only people claiming that AMD's modules are cores don't know what actually constitutes a core or how CMT is intended to work.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.