AMD New Horizon

Clanscorpia
18 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

while looking for the ryzen logo you saw on stream (if somebody has a hq cap pls tell me , i like that logo) 

i found this  : https://trademarks.justia.com/871/15/amd-87115584.html

im suprised this wast picked up earlyer , could have known the name of zen , "ryzen" 2 weeks ago :P 

It actually was picked up. There was a post on these forums in tech news and reviews about like 6 or 7 names AMD registered including ryzen and threadripper. We just didn't knnow at the time what they all meant.

EDIT: Here it is 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It actually was picked up. There was a post on these forums in tech news and reviews about like 6 or 7 names AMD registered including ryzen and threadripper. We just didn't knnow at the time what they all meant.

yea i just saw that , @SpaceGhostC2C beat you to it 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Matching 6900K performance and selling at $350 can't coexist. The reason is that in that case I, and others like me, would buy all their chips the moment they are out, hoard them, and resell them at a huge profit like they're tickets to a sold out concert.

I wish that were the case, but it's beyond obvious that AMD skewed the Blender render test.  Not even stock 6900k CPUs or stock 6950x CPUs can match the render times that AMD was able to pull off during the AMD Horizon event.  

I'm a fairly realistic guy and understand that companies hype things up a bit during promotions and roll outs, but what AMD did this time was different.  They showed the results of the render test and even offered to provide the files to the public so that they could run the same test on their own computers for comparison.  The problem is they used custom settings to run their bench without mentioning it.  This resulted in much higher render times for everyone who's run it on their own systems to include the 6950x, 6900k (overclocked and stock), 5960x (overclock and stock) and many other CPUs.  Guys with 6900ks overclocked and running better system configurations couldn't even match what AMD was able to do with a 3.4 GHz Ryzen chip or their "stock" 6900k.  

There's a running thread on overclock.net where everyone is trying to match AMD's magical render times with the exact same file provided by AMD via their website.  They make no mention of modified settings to Blender, but mention that both system configurations are run as they are straight out of the box.

Additionally, they stated that you'd be able to run both tests for yourself, but didn't provide the Handbrake file for comparison at all.  We're really no better off as far as a good understanding on how Zen will perform.  Like I said, feel free to check out the overclock.net thread where folks are tying to pull off the amazing feat that AMD has supposedly accomplished with that test.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1617227/amd-new-horizon-zen-preview-on-12-13-at-3-pm-cst/600_100#post_25710833  (Skip towards the end where the results start showing up)

Anyways, here's my own comparison, which convinced me that they were blatantly skewing the render test.  

12 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I wish that were the case, but it's beyond obvious that AMD skewed the Blender render test.  Not even stock 6900k CPUs or stock 6950x CPUs can match the render times that AMD was able to pull off during the AMD Horizon event.  

But notice I make a conditional statement: if that's the performance, that can't be the price. If that's the price, that can't be the performance. Then it all may or may not happen, I just don't think both can happen simultaneously ;)

Now, independently of that, you are showing an OCed 5960x basically do the same that the 6900K and Ryzen in the video. It's hard for me to tell whether any advantage the 6900K may have over the 5960x is more or less than what you gain by overclocking to 4.8. They could have uploaded a different job to make any CPU you have pale in comparison :P But that would be silly, as people with a 6900K could quickly check whether they match the mark or not, since it's supposed to be done at stock speeds. I don't know if there's any other specs (RAM?) that could matter, or whether the background tasks you mentioned can have a significant impact.

Do you know (or is it too much trouble for you to go back and forth) how much time would it take for your 5960x to do the same job? 

PS: a quick Youtube search tells me not many people has replicated yet. Then again, the quick YT search didn't return your video... 9_9

24 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Please be cheap.

-Canada with our $550 i7 6700k and $400 RX 480

I got mine for $280

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

I got mine for $280

Motherfuc-

lets hope that the holidays brings me a cheap RX 480

Or a high USD -> CAD but same prices (I need that extra 4 cents / dollar for exchanging $220..)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

-snip-

You ran your own test on a 5960X running 4.8 GHz while Zen was running 29% slower at 3.4GHz and achieved a render time of 35 seconds where Zen is at 51 Seconds making it about 31% faster than Zen. Also, Broadwell IPC and Haswell IPC are equivalent within the margin of error AFAIK. I could probably also assume you are running DDR4 in quad channel at probably a frequency higher than 2133mhz? Could also factor in with blender tests.

In other leaks like the one from the asian site a week or so ago showed a list of cinebench scores putting it at ~1300 right with the 6900K yet you scored a ~1900. 

So I'd say, quantitatively, Zen is pretty accurate at least within the margin of error to the blender tests given.

I build PCs as a hobby. 

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Now, independently of that, you are showing an OCed 5960x basically do the same that the 6900K and Ryzen in the video. It's hard for me to tell whether any advantage the 6900K may have over the 5960x is more or less than what you gain by overclocking to 4.8.

I've actually owned a 6800k and 6950x and other than the fact that a BWE chip requires just over 200 MHz less to perform the same work as a HWE chip, they scale the same.

They could have uploaded a different job to make any CPU you have pale in comparison :P 

:D  I believe so or the setting were run differently and we weren't informed.  

But that would be silly, as people with a 6900K could quickly check whether they match the mark or not, since it's supposed to be done at stock speeds. I don't know if there's any other specs (RAM?) that could matter, or whether the background tasks you mentioned can have a significant impact.

Silly?  Please go to the link I provided for overclock.net.  Nobody with stock or overclocked 6950x or 6900k chips can match AMD's unbelievable results.  It has nothing to do with my own comparison.  Nobody can do it.  Actually one guy with a 6950x beat it at 4.4 GHz, but that was the only one out of many examples.

Do you know (or is it too much trouble for you to go back and forth) how much time would it take for your 5960x to do the same job? 

Can you clarify?

1 minute ago, skyler_mertz said:

You ran your own test on a 5960X running 4.8 GHz while Zen was running 29% slower at 3.4GHz and achieved a render time of 35 seconds where Zen is at 51 Seconds making it about 31% faster than Zen. 

That was Handbrake. The Blender test ended in 35 seconds as well (first part of his video).

8 minutes ago, skyler_mertz said:

You ran your own test on a 5960X running 4.8 GHz while Zen was running 29% slower at 3.4GHz and achieved a render time of 35 seconds where Zen is at 51 Seconds making it about 31% faster than Zen. Also, Broadwell IPC and Haswell IPC are equivalent within the margin of error AFAIK. I could probably also assume you are running DDR4 in quad channel at probably a frequency higher than 2133mhz? Could also factor in with blender tests.

In other leaks like the one from the asian site a week or so ago showed a list of cinebench scores putting it at ~1300 right with the 6900K yet you scored a ~1900. 

So I'd say, quantitatively, Zen is pretty accurate at least within the margin of error to the blender tests given.

You're in a different conversation bud, but thanks for your input.

I'd like to see anyone on LTT give it a shot.  It's not doable.  You cannot match the performance of the Ryzen or 6900k results whether you are overclocked or not.  They ran a different configuration on the test than what they provided to the public for their own comparison and now I doubt that the configurations between the Ryzen and 6900k were alike.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Silly?  Please go to the link I provided for overclock.net.  Nobody with stock or overclocked 6950x or 6900k chips can match AMD's unbelievable results.  It has nothing to do with my own comparison.  Nobody can do it.  Actually one guy with a 6950x beat it at 4.4 GHz, but that was the only one out of many examples.

I missed the link!

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Can you clarify?

I'm asking it returning to stock clocks and running the test again is too much hassle for you, or if you can quickly go to stock and then return to your OC without issues. But now that I've seen the link is not as important, I can look for more results there ;) I just wanted to get a sense of how much you gain with the extra frequency in this test, other things equal.

9 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm asking it returning to stock clocks and running the test again is too much hassle for you, or if you can quickly go to stock and then return to your OC without issues. But now that I've seen the link is not as important, I can look for more results there ;) I just wanted to get a sense of how much you gain with the extra frequency in this test, other things equal.

Gotcha and thanks for clarifying.  After you come back from that thread, you'll know what I mean.  :D  Those guys over there do nothing but overclock and compare.  They do a great job of trying to break down how they suspect AMD did it, but it had to do with the run configuration and possibly more. 

I should add, none of this would be out of the standard as far as marketing practices are concerned, but this time they went a little too far by telling us to compare it for ourselves with the exact same file.  BEYOND misleading.

19 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

PS: a quick Youtube search tells me not many people has replicated yet. Then again, the quick YT search didn't return your video... 9_9

I set all my videos to unlisted.  I'm not trying to run my own channel or anything. :D

I don't need another pc, but I kinda wanna build one just to have an AMD rig. 

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Gotcha and thanks for clarifying.  After you come back from that thread, you'll know what I mean.  :D  Those guys over there do nothing but overclock and compare.  They do a great job of trying to break down how they suspect AMD did it, but it had to do with the run configuration and possibly more. 

No doubt I did :P

It's still strange to understand, because they didn't even mentioned the time, only the comparison. So, whatever rigging they made, they had to make it so both PCs end at the same time. As long as they could show that (after all, we're taking their word for it, they could be running two Ryzens :P), what is the point in not giving us the same project? No one can repeat the head to head after Ryzen is out anyway.

47 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Please be cheap.

-Canada with our $550 i7 6700k and $400 RX 480

Stop spreading that around, it's not even true! xD 

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX58496

Regular $500, but currently (and almost always) on sale for $470.  Yes it's too much but at least it isn't $550 :D 

And most of the 480s are around $360, give or take.  Some almost as low as $300, and, yes, some over $400 but most are not.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

Yup, at least it seems like it will compete.

But I don't care for the 8-core, I want the 4-core! I want to look at how the $150 part does

what?! you dont want to spend close to 1k USD on the CPU alone?!?!?! You're such a cheapskate!

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

No doubt I did :P

It's still strange to understand, because they didn't even mentioned the time, only the comparison. So, whatever rigging they made, they had to make it so both PCs end at the same time. As long as they could show that (after all, we're taking their word for it, they could be running two Ryzens :P), what is the point in not giving us the same project? No one can repeat the head to head after Ryzen is out anyway.

Well by not giving us the same project they skew the results that you'll get.  As you've already seen, if you run the test for yourself on your own computer as they suggested you do, there's a 99.9% chance that not only will your render times be much higher, but that you'll feel as if Ryzen is that much better than what you currently have.

It's only going to end in disappointments when actual reviews fall short of these exaggerated results. 

I really do want LTT 6900k and 6950x owners to run the test for themselves.  You won't come close without a very strong overclock.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Stop spreading that around, it's not even true! xD 

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX58496

Regular $500, but currently (and almost always) on sale for $470.  Yes it's too much but at least isn't not $550 :D 

And most of the 480s are around $360, give or take.  Some almost as low as $300, and, yes, some over $400 but most are not.

ryan, please. you speak of a difference of max 110 CAD... that's worth like 8 acorns and half a slice of bread..

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

ryan, please. you speak of a difference of max 110 CAD... that's worth like 8 acorns and half a slice of bread..

Well that may be true but these aren't even the best prices I've seen... it's just what it happened to be floating at for the moment.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Prysin said:

truth be told. Whilst the hype is way too high, what we've seen today/tonight, gives me hope for their APUs

I agree with that and hope for competition in general.  We all gain in the end. 

I just don't agree with the bullshit they pulled on skewing the results and then asking us to try it for ourselves.

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Ya, 8 core is nice and all, and it's cool that Zen is actually on par with Intel's best offerings, but most consumers don't care about 8 cores! We want 4 cores! We want 4 cores! Now join me! We want 4 cores! We want 4 cores!

6 core or GTFO. That's the optimized count for Star Citizen.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I am curious about the cooling they used on the test systems, I remember when they panned away I could see the glow of a stock 2011 cooler.

ex.

Spoiler

intel-stock-cooler-lga-2011-custom-pc-re

So it could be that the 6900k was thermal throttling then. 

1 minute ago, Dietrichw said:

I am curious about the cooling they used on the test systems, I remember when they panned away I could see the glow of a stock 2011 cooler.

ex.

So it could be that the 6900k was thermal throttling then. 

I hope not, that would be very unfair...

Agaaaain, feeling like shit for buying 6800k on x99 platform.

If the Ryzen is going to outperform my 6800k for a better price I might be saying good bye to my 3 month old mobo and CPU.

Too bad they didn't include prices.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.