AMD New Horizon

Clanscorpia
7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Good now Intel will haul ass instead of just minor generational improvements.

they are trying, easier said than done. Intel is not gonna magically make big leaps even if zen is good.

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

they are trying, easier said than done. Intel is not gonna magically make big leaps even if zen is good.

Well the same was said about Nvdia with the 1000 series, and at least now Intel has a target.(I get what you mean technology wise, but they could be holding something, waiting for a moment like this, unlikley, but possible.)

2 minutes ago, Moress said:

The rumor mill says that the 8c/16t Ryzen will cost about $350. Putting it in price competition with the 6700k with the workstation performance of a 6900k. If this is true I think we will see the new go-to streaming/multitasking CPU being from AMD. Along with the improvements of multi-threading increases with DX12 becoming more important as more games start using. Also, if their IPC scales simliar to current Intel chips, their 4c/8t will compete with the 6700k at a fraction of the price (hopefully), meaning that the core I5 will be more or less replaced as the go-to gaming CPU. I know its all rumor right now, but if it's true the Zen hype-train has a new passenger.

I doubt it will be 350usd, I will put it closer to 499 or 599 if anything. But seeing that this chip beats or hangs with the i7-6900k, even though it was a somewhat biased comparison. I fell for AMD's hype train twice for my last two builds and they both were outdone by older Intel Chips! This time I'll wait for "ACTUAL" benchmarks and reviews!

7 minutes ago, Masteryodi1980 said:

I doubt it will be 350usd, I will put it closer to 499 or 599 if anything. But seeing that this chip beats or hangs with the i7-6900k, even though it was a somewhat biased comparison. I fell for AMD's hype train twice for my last two builds and they both were outdone by older Intel Chips! This time I'll wait for "ACTUAL" benchmarks and reviews!

True, I feel that the hype train right now is less about actual AMD performance and more about getting CPU prices under control, at least the enthusiast grade ones

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

If they deliver, my friend can have my current rig, my brother will be getting the one my friend has currently (which I did give to him), and I'll be upgrading even further.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

24 minutes ago, Moress said:

The rumor mill says that the 8c/16t Ryzen will cost about $350. Putting it in price competition with the 6700k with the workstation performance of a 6900k. If this is true I think we will see the new go-to streaming/multitasking CPU being from AMD. Along with the improvements of multi-threading increases with DX12 becoming more important as more games start using. Also, if their IPC scales simliar to current Intel chips, their 4c/8t will compete with the 6700k at a fraction of the price (hopefully), meaning that the core I5 will be more or less replaced as the go-to gaming CPU. I know its all rumor right now, but if it's true the Zen hype-train has a new passenger.

But the rumor mill is dumb. You seriously expect AMD to sell 8c 16t CPUs at $350 when they could make potentially a higher profit at, say, $500?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

17 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

But the rumor mill is dumb. You seriously expect AMD to sell 8c 16t CPUs at $350 when they could make potentially a higher profit at, say, $500?

If they sell them at 350 they can hit the light production and workstation groups. The price would make someone who would otherwise get an I7 go to AMD, while the multi-threaded performance would draw the workstation groups, they would be hitting 2 niches that have been far separated in recent history. It would also play along with their recent "Power for the masses" theme they tried with Polaris.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

7 minutes ago, Moress said:

If they sell them at 350 they can hit the light production and workstation groups. The price would make someone who would otherwise get an I7 go to AMD, while the multi-threaded performance would draw the workstation groups, they would be hitting 2 niches that have been far separated in recent history. It would also play along with their recent "Power for the masses" theme they tried with Polaris.

Seeing as the rumor mills also say AMD has a 4c/8t for the going rate of an i5, with the power of an i7, there would be little reason to go with Intel on the pure price/perf aspect.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Moress said:

Matching 6900K performance and selling at $350 can't coexist. The reason is that in that case I, and others like me, would buy all their chips the moment they are out, hoard them, and resell them at a huge profit like they're tickets to a sold out concert.

They can undercut Intel, and Intel can reduce their prices to face the increased competition and still make profits, but 3 times the performance per $ (match a $1100 CPU, sell at $350) just won't happen, the same way 10xx and RX GPUs weren't selling at the MSRP.

Don't forget that AMD (and the other manufacturers) controls what they charge to retailers, not what consumers pay.

2 hours ago, Fetzie said:

AMD CPU would run around 50-60°C?

my FX 6100 and Phenom II X4 940BE both always operated in that range :P 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Matching 6900K performance and selling at $350 can't coexist. The reason is that in that case I, and others like me, would buy all their chips the moment they are out, hoard them, and resell them at a huge profit like they're tickets to a sold out concert.

They can undercut Intel, and Intel can reduce their prices to face the increased competition and still make profits, but 3 times the performance per $ (match a $1100 CPU, sell at $350) just won't happen, the same way 10xx and RX GPUs weren't selling at the MSRP.

Don't forget that AMD (and the other manufacturers) controls what they charge to retailers, not what consumers pay.

idk i got my gtx 1070 for msrp its just about being patient. the same would happen if they sold it for 350 prices would be crazy at first but would stabilize near msrp later.

44 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

If they deliver, my friend can have my current rig, my brother will be getting the one my friend has currently (which I did give to him), and I'll be upgrading even further.

what are those system currently running? 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

28 minutes ago, Moress said:

But if they do that Intel will just lower the prices to out price AMD and AMD loses. So it's better for them to just price it higher.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Well, here's hoping they give Intel a run for their money.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

while looking for the ryzen logo you saw on stream (if somebody has a hq cap pls tell me , i like that logo) 

i found this  : https://trademarks.justia.com/871/15/amd-87115584.html

im suprised this wast picked up earlyer , could have known the name of zen , "ryzen" 2 weeks ago :P 

PSU Tier list

46 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

what are those system currently running? 

My desktop:

• i7 4790K
  • Asus Z97 Sabertooth MKII (with dead onboard audio)
  • GTX 970 G1 Gaming
  • 2x 4GB mixed DDR3 1333+DDR3 1600
  • OCZ ARC 100 240GB
  • Sandisk U100 128GB
  • 200GB 7200RPM SATA 1 Seagate HDD
  • 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 Seagate HDD
  • Seidon 120V
  • Corsair CX850M (green label/2014 model)

My friend's desktop (my previous one):

• i5 4440 (stock cooler
  • Asus H87M Pro
  • GTX 650ti OC 2GB rev 2.0
  • 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 VLP
  • WD Blue 7200RPM 1TB
  • Corsair VS650

PMSL

44 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

But if they do that Intel will just lower the prices to out price AMD and AMD loses. So it's better for them to just price it higher.

If they lower their prices to match it will just be a matter of preference, since from what we have seen (Remember this is all rumor and possibly bias benches) the Zen chips match Broadwell-E chips in performance. Also the cost and features of the platforms (X99 vs AM4) will come into effect. With the X99s have Quad Channel memory and the AM4 having a (likely) cheaper cost of entry.
Honestly I never said that I believe the 8 core will be at 350, I think if there is a 6 core it will be at that price with the 8 core in the 500-600 price. Leaving the 4 core and even possibly 2 core at 200-250 and 100-150. This all would do exactly what a lot of us have been thinking Zen was going to for awhile. Shake the enthusiast (6 core+) market up a lot, and less so at the lower levels with a possible 2 core being priced near the I3s and the 4 cores edging out the I5/I7 market by a much smaller margin.
Again, this is all theory and rumor, but sometimes it fun to talk about what we hope and think will happen with upcoming tech.

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

GTX 650ti OC 2GB rev 2.0

ouch , i mean trhe cpu is okay for a budget system , but that 650 needs to be swapped as soon as you can (used R9 270´s are very cheap and comparable to 960´s in most cases) 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

ouch , i mean trhe cpu is okay for a budget system , but that 650 needs to be swapped as soon as you can (used R9 270´s are very cheap and comparable to 960´s in most cases) 

Its the GTX 650tiOC 2GB. That little card overclocks extremely well, and while staying below 70oC with the fans at ilde. It could be worse, it could have an i7 4770 with a GTX 650, which was the other option-and the GTX 650 isn't a slightly cut down GTX 660 and is far weaker.

PMSL

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

my FX 6100 and Phenom II X4 940BE both always operated in that range :P 

And my 8150, 8320, and 6100 with an overclock, I don't get where people thing they produce so much heat. The dam things throttle at 70 degrees if you leave all the bios settings at auto.

My i5 seems to want to set the box on fire...

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

8 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

while looking for the ryzen logo you saw on stream (if somebody has a hq cap pls tell me , i like that logo) 

i found this  : https://trademarks.justia.com/871/15/amd-87115584.html

im suprised this wast picked up earlyer , could have known the name of zen , "ryzen" 2 weeks ago :P 

Well...

2 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

And my 8150, 8320, and 6100 with an overclock, I don't get where people thing they produce so much heat. The dam things throttle at 70degress if you leave all the bios settings at auto.

my 6100 was HEAVILY overclocked and barely reached 60c , and the cpu cooler was on 30% fan speed 

@SpaceGhostC2C , missed that one , WHOOPS 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

my 6100 was HEAVILY overclocked and barely reached 60c , and the cpu cooler was on 30% fan speed 

I have had the exact same experience. I've found the fx range to get very good heat wise, much better than some p4 and c2d chips I've had in the past.

I do really want to see the performance of the 4c/8t chip though, I really have no use anymore for a 16t chip. If it puts up to something like 70% the performance of an i7 6700 I'd grab one in a heat beat if the price made sense.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

5 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

And my 8150, 8320, and 6100 with an overclock, I don't get where people thing they produce so much heat. The dam things throttle at 70 degrees if you leave all the bios settings at auto.

My i5 seems to want to set the box on fire...

Well, they do use soldered on IHS. My Xeon X5450 runs at around 80oC when I overclock it to 4.4Ghz under my Siedon 120V. However it is also consuming over 200W of power. Then you look at my 4790K which hits the same while only drawing around 120W under Prime 95 (so at 4GHz)

PMSL

Please be cheap.

-Canada with our $550 i7 6700k and $400 RX 480

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.