AMD New Horizon

Clanscorpia

Today, AMD's New Horizon stream took place.The main focus was Ryen, their high end Zen CPUs. Its confirmed to be 8 cores 16 threads and uses simultaneous multi threading. According to them, they beat their 40% IPC improvement goal. They also confirmed the base clock speed will be 3.4GHz or higher. The CPU boost frequency is to be confirmed at release. It has 20MB of both L2 and L3 cache as well. As we already know, it uses the AM4 platform. It also has a TDP of 95w (Dayum!)

The CPUs use multiple new technologies from AMD. Their names are AMD SenseMI, learning programs to help it adapt to its surroundings. The first is Neural Net prediction and Smart Prefetch. According to them, these CPUs are machine learning. Their function is to anticipate data incoming, making processing time much lower. They apparently account for 1/4 of the performance increase in Ryzen. 2 other features are Pure power and Precision boost, made to increase performance per watt. They also have a feature called Extended Frequency range made for Enthusiasts. It uses sensors to detect what kind of cooling is used, whether it is LN2 or Air cooling, etc, It will enable higher clock speed the cooler the chip is.

Their enthusiast chipset is called X370, supporting up to PCIe 3.0, DDR4-2400, USB 3.1, NVMe, and Sata Express. 

They also compared the Ryzen CPU at stock speeds to a 6900K at stock speeds (3.4, 3.2 respectively) with the 6900K boosting to 3.7. All the other specs are the same. In a Blender rendering test, the Ryzen beats the 6900K at boost when it is at stock. In Handbrake, the Ryzen CPU beats the 6900K by 10%! They also talked about the 6900Ks pricing, suggesting a much lower price for the Ryzen CPU. They also talked that they are still in the process of fully optimizing performance (Likely through drivers) although they did hint engineers are still tuning the CPUs. They also did a few more small comparisons using a few programs (Unity VR game, BF1, ZBrush, LOL) and AMD performed better in all titles (although not super significant) using both systems.

They also did a special demo with Ryzen and VEGA working together! They demoed Starwars battlefront at 4K! Running at 60FPS+. They didnt mention settings but by the look of it I think they were running at Ultra settings. We might finally have a 4K gaming card!

They also confirmed they will be launching Ryzen in Q1 2017!!! They didnt confirm the other Zen CPUs though.

Final thoughts: HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Source:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-announcement/

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Ryzen Vickers?

I really, REALLY hope that AMD will make a comeback. 

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Ryzen Vickers?

I really, REALLY hope that AMD will make a comeback. 

lol don't we all?

6500, meet your substitute 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Any word on prices? you know that's what we're all interested in really. 

no prices announced AFAIK 

Hmmm... That was interesting, but we didn't get as many benchmarks as I hoped :(. CES 2017 maybe?

EDIT: Handbrake is a pretty reliable and non-biased benchmark so I guess those are some pretty good numbers to work with. By the looks of it Zen is gonna be around if not better than Broadwell and probably a little below Skylake. Not perfect, but pretty good and it sounds like it'll give us some good competition in the CPU space which is much needed.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

no prices announced AFAIK 

:(. I'll probably have to wait even longer since the prices will go up because of demand, so I don't know why I'd want to know right now anyway xD

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Almost done watching the VOD

Well I wanted bench and I got it, looks good, i'm a bit butthurt because they didn't do cinebench again

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Almost done watching the VOD

Well I wanted bench and I got it, looks good, i'm a bit butthurt because they didn't do cinebench again

Hey, but at least we got handbrake, which is a pretty good and non-biased benchmark, unlike blender, which is open source so it could have been tuned to favor AMD.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Hey, but at least we got handbrake, which is a pretty good and non-biased benchmark, unlike blender, which is open source so it could have been tuned to favor AMD.

Yup, at least it seems like it will compete.

But I don't care for the 8-core, I want the 4-core! I want to look at how the $150 part does

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Yup, at least it seems like it will compete.

But I don't care for the 8-core, I want the 4-core! I want to look at how the $150 part does

Ya, 8 core is nice and all, and it's cool that Zen is actually on par with Intel's best offerings, but most consumers don't care about 8 cores! We want 4 cores! We want 4 cores! Now join me! We want 4 cores! We want 4 cores!

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I'd find it more realistic for AMD to tune blender to run worse on their chip. It would throw off Intel, and with the amount of hype and rumor floating around Zen, selling it as worse than it actually is might combat it enough to avoid another Bulldozer PR fiasco.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I'd find it more realistic for AMD to tune blender to run worse on their chip. It would throw off Intel, and with the amount of hype and rumor floating around Zen, selling it as worse than it actually is might combat it enough to avoid another Bulldozer PR fiasco.

Interesting idea but I personally doubt it. AMD doesn't seem like the type to do something like that to throw everyone off. They seem like they'd rather seem good up front than go these tricky routes. Though I could be wrong, since AMD doesn't seem to be hyping Zen and Vega as much as they have previously (though it could be that I've become more reluctant to join the hype trains now :P).

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3.4GHz base clock is pretty nice, higher than I has expecting and this CPU is probably going to be a few hundred cheaper than the 6900K while seemingly matching or maybe beating in performance and power usage. It will be interesting to see where the clocks end up at.

Still need a bigger range of benchmarks though.

I'm excited to see what AMD pulls out of the bag in Q1 2017. 

My first PCs were all based around AMD, good price and good specifications - my current gaming rig is an older i7 870, so a new AMD 'Zen' based PC is on the cards for sure. 

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Interesting idea but I personally doubt it. AMD doesn't seem like the type to do something like that to throw everyone off. They seem like they'd rather seem good up front than go these tricky routes. Though I could be wrong, since AMD doesn't seem to be hyping Zen and Vega as much as they have previously (though it could be that I've become more reluctant to join the hype trains now :P).

AMD completely seems the type to do that with the position they're in.

And underselling isn't exactly the tricky as far as us, consumers, are concerned. It's also kind of warranted with Intel's past business practices. They'd be delivering what they promised, and then some. The only person that could ever get mad about that is Pat.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

AMD completely seems the type to do that with the position they're in.

And underselling isn't exactly the tricky as far as us, consumers, are concerned. It's also kind of warranted with Intel's past business practices. They'd be delivering what they promised, and then some. The only person that could ever get mad about that is Pat.

They've disappointed me a bunch of times with uninteresting info in their live events, but I guess it's good they're not overhyping their products. I hope you're right, since that would be good for competition.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

They did over shot Zen features a bit in the video because decent Intel motherboards and cpu have had some of those features for years.       

2 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

They did over shot Zen features a bit in the video because decent Intel motherboards and cpu have had some of those features for years.       

Like what?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

It's good to see a little sneak peak again, like the last little sneak peak, adds to the hype train which for some reason is hard to ignore compared to the intel and nvidia hype. This increase from predicting instructions might end up to be one of those technologies that doesn't really work in most programs and use cases, though I'm hopeful it turns out to be the boost it appears to do. 

Would I been nice to see the 4c/8t chip before ces, or some other benchmarks to really place it in the line up, but then again even in the live stream there wasn't much information at all. Time will tell how powerful the platform ends up being, 1 unified platform for all the consumer and enthusiasts line up is a good selling point though and it would be good to see what the compromises are (such as 4 channel ram).

While that wasn't enough to get me onto the amd hype train, it was enough that now I'm interested in seeing some benchmarks; and how it performs against intel.

Still looks like I wont be upgrading any times soon...

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Like what?

Like for eg sample auto over clocking they act like new technology but not. 

Just now, Trevor87 said:

So one small feature? That wasnt one of their big highlights. Plus what Intel chip/motherboard has that?

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

What Ryzen supposedly has is built in adaptive turbo depending on the attached cooling. As far as I'm aware, no Intel CPU does that, with or without mobo support. Intel's turbo model is based on available power but doesn't really take temperature into consideration unless hitting thermal throttling.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible