Doubt about PS4 Pro???

Snehit

Hi guys,

I had a doubt about the new PS4 Pro

How can it okay games in 4K if it doesn't have a 4K Blu-Ray player???

That really has nothing to do with it, 4k blu rays are only required for movies because they need to be read from a file with a specific format. Game visuals are generated on the fly, so the media from which game data is loaded is irrelevant.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The Games arent 4k. Thats just marketing BS. And the FPS still sucks. 30 and below...good god ?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

18 minutes ago, Snehit said:

Hi guys,

i think there are like 10 games which are real 4k and not upscale bs... and that are most sports and old games

30 minutes ago, Snehit said:

Hi guys,

same reason why PCs can play 4k without a 4k blu-ray player, the games are loaded on the hard drive and games don't require specific types of disks in order to actually play 4k, so a regular blu ray disk would probably perform very similarly to a 4k blu ray disk with games

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

As stated above, the 4K Bllu-ray has nothing to do with playing actual 4K

However, PS4 pro doesn't have the hardware capacity to render games in 4K, so most games will be rendered in 1080p and then upscaled to 4K

It will look a bit better than FHD, but wont look as good as native 4K

I bought it doesn't even output full 4k just 2180p

2 hours ago, Snehit said:

i think 2160p is 4K, though it's slightly more pixel count. 

some games do actually render at 4K. such as the last of us remastered. titles that struggle with 4K will have to use checkerboarding 

On 2016-12-12 at 10:32 PM, Snehit said:

"4K" is a generic term used to describe several specific specifications that have an approximate horizontal resolution of 4000 pixels, such as DCI 4K (Movie theatre 4K), which is 4096 x 2160. Another popular spec, is of course, 4K UHD, which is 3840 x 2160. Contrary to what others might say, 4K doesn't have one singular definition.

On 2016-12-12 at 4:03 AM, Praesi said:

The Games arent 4k. Thats just marketing BS. And the FPS still sucks. 30 and below...good god ?

Not entirely correct. They do have some games that run in true 4K rendering. They also have some games that run 60 FPS solid locked. I do not know if any games run 4K @ 60 though. But even in PC, that's a difficult thing to do, so I'm not surprised.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

"4K" is a generic term used to describe several specific specifications that have an approximate horizontal resolution of 4000 pixels, such as DCI 4K (Movie theatre 4K), which is 4096 x 2160. Another popular spec, is of course, 4K UHD, which is 3840 x 2160. Contrary to what others might say, 4K doesn't have one singular definition.

Not entirely correct. They do have some games that run in true 4K rendering. They also have some games that run 60 FPS solid locked. I do not know if any games run 4K @ 60 though. But even in PC, that's a difficult thing to do, so I'm not surprised.

Yaya we all saw the Ps4pr0 Video from Luke. Consoles still suck ballz  xD

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

Yaya we all saw the Ps4pr0 Video from Luke. Consoles still suck ballz  xD

Right...

Consoles don't suck balls. They have a specific value that many people like. They aren't for everyone, just like a gaming PC isn't for everyone. Just like every product ever.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Right...

Consoles don't suck balls. They have a specific value that many people like. They aren't for everyone, just like a gaming PC isn't for everyone. Just like every product ever.

I would agree if they wouldnt be treat like the Number one Plattform.

Im a PC Fanboy, so forgive me ;)

Just now, Praesi said:

I would agree if they wouldnt be treat like the Number one Plattform.

Im a PC Fanboy, so forgive me ;)

Well treating anything like "the number one platform" is arrogant - elitism is bad, regardless of whether it's XBO owners saying PS4 sucks and PC is lame, or PCMR idiots spouting drivel.

The rest of us normal people will objectively view each type of gaming device, and our specific use case, and make our own judgements.

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well treating anything like "the number one platform" is arrogant - elitism is bad, regardless of whether it's XBO owners saying PS4 sucks and PC is lame, or PCMR idiots spouting drivel.

The rest of us normal people will objectively view each type of gaming device, and our specific use case, and make our own judgements.

Well, that makes me an arrogand Idiot in your Eyes than. I guess i can live with it ;)

#PCMR FTW

23 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Well, that makes me an arrogand Idiot in your Eyes than. I guess i can live with it ;)

#PCMR FTW

That depends - do you listen to all the PCMR drivel without using critical thinking and logic skills to determine your own opinion for yourself? If so, yes, I suppose that would. But I would like to believe that's not you, and while you might associate with PCMR, I hope that you do indeed use your cognitive skills to form your own opinions based on the presented evidence.

7 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If graphics and performance are the only thing that matters in a game...

Then 3DMark is the best game ever.

Linus should ask the question "But can it run 3DMark?" in his videos.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 9:03 AM, Praesi said:

Fifa 17 is in full 4k and the frame rate is perfectly fine, im glad I dont spend money on pcs now. Ps4 is cheaper, easier and the graphics on uncharted 4 on a 4k tv which is running somewhere between 1080p and 4k are absolutely immense, and believe me, ive done the pc gaming thing for a loooong time.

1 minute ago, Adam1984 said:

Fifa 17 is in full 4k and the frame rate is perfectly fine, im glad I dont spend money on pcs now. Ps4 is cheaper, easier and the graphics on uncharted 4 on a 4k tv which is running somewhere between 1080p and 4k are absolutely immense, and believe me, ive done the pc gaming thing for a loooong time.

Consoles suck ballz.

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

Consoles suck ballz.

Now try forming an actual argument to back that up, instead of just spouting random things. If you wish people to stop buying and using consoles, you're going to have to convince them that PC gaming is better - without massively insulting them in the process.

57 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Now try forming an actual argument to back that up, instead of just spouting random things. If you wish people to stop buying and using consoles, you're going to have to convince them that PC gaming is better - without massively insulting them in the process.

Yaya. everything is an Insult these Days. 9_9

No offence taken, id also like to add that the upscaling trick used by the ps4 is very very good. The anti aliasing is excellent and it really does recreate a very crisp image, plus the hdr colour support which unfortunately my tv doesnt have.

You do notice the interlace effect in tiny patches every now and then but trust me it really doesnt make any real difference, using uncharted 4 again as an example, some of the foliage and object textures look astounding, id go as far as saying its the best looking game ive ever played. (Please look for yourselves and trust me on that) So my point being if the ps4 was actually a new windows pc released by asus and it had all the same features and controller for £350, (say £450 with windows to be fair) I think given what it can actually produce it would be the bargain of the century.

You dont have to constantly worry about frame rates, or crashes, or what graphics settings your running. It just plays, and plays easily well enough to be awesome, even slick said that its a solid 4k experience. I bought battlefield 1 the other day, granted I imagine its not full 4k and is mainly running about 1600p max, also I bet it looks a bit better on pc, but its amazing on ps4 pro, and I didnt have to spend all that extra money, in fact I had extra money to buy the game! And other games too!

So yeah I am someone who has gone back to consoles, I loved goldeneye and I really miss the days of alex kidd and sonic. I do miss when I first played crysis and bf3 on my old pc, they were maxed out at 1200p on a 24inch ips monitor and looked stunning, but the memories all blend in with alex kidd and goldeneye with only equal fondness.

I would never tell someone dont buy a high end pc, but I would say if your on a budget, buy a ps4 pro, you wont regret it at all. The games look so good you literally will not care anymore about whether its hitting 4k or not, its almost like nvidia experience has sorted it all out for you so you can sit back and play! One thing I do miss is the mouse and keyboard on bf1 though lol. Nothings perfect....

8 hours ago, Adam1984 said:

No offence taken, id also like to add that the upscaling trick used by the ps4 is very very good. The anti aliasing is excellent and it really does recreate a very crisp image, plus the hdr colour support which unfortunately my tv doesnt have. You do notice the interlace effect in tiny patches every now and then but trust me it really doesnt make any real difference, using uncharted 4 again as an example, some of the foliage and object textures look astounding, id go as far as saying its the best looking game ive ever played. (Please look for yourselves and trust me on that) So my point being if the ps4 was actually a new windows pc released by asus and it had all the same features and controller for £350, (say £450 with windows to be fair) I think given what it can actually produce it would be the bargain of the century. You dont have to constantly worry about frame rates, or crashes, or what graphics settings your running. It just plays, and plays easily well enough to be awesome, even slick said that its a solid 4k experience. I bought battlefield 1 the other day, granted I imagine its not full 4k and is mainly running about 1600p max, also I bet it looks a bit better on pc, but its amazing on ps4 pro, and I didnt have to spend all that extra money, in fact I had extra money to buy the game! And other games too! So yeah I am someone who has gone back to consoles, I loved goldeneye and I really miss the days of alex kidd and sonic. I do miss when I first played crysis and bf3 on my old pc, they were maxed out at 1200p on a 24inch ips monitor and looked stunning, but the memories all blend in with alex kidd and goldeneye with only equal fondness. I would never tell someone dont buy a high end pc, but I would say if your on a budget, buy a ps4 pro, you wont regret it at all. The games look so good you literally will not care anymore about whether its hitting 4k or not, its almost like nvidia experience has sorted it all out for you so you can sit back and play! One thing I do miss is the mouse and keyboard on bf1 though lol. Nothings perfect....

Excellent post - but would you mind editing it to be a bit more legible? You've got a massive wall of text. If you could break it up into a couple (or more) of paragraphs, that'd be good lol.

I agree the upscaling is quite good. We just got a PS4 Pro at work, along with a 4K HDR TV. We haven't used it too much (And not with Uncharted), but it looks damn good for a console. Is it as good as our Vive PC w/ a 6700 and a GTX 1070 at 4K? Hell. No. But damn, it's still pretty good looking. I haven't had any issues with framerate in any of the games I've played yet, but we've mostly been sticking to PSVR titles. Also, the 4K TV we got is 40", so that might help mask any artifacts visible due to the upscaling.

FYI, PS4 has mouse and keyboard support (Dependent on devs to implement in-game), so you could try hooking a mouse up and seeing if Battlefield 1 has support.