Alternative to Speedfan that CONTROLS fans.

corrado33
Go to solution Solved by Techicolors,
2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I still can't seem to get it to do anything.

Changing the PWM speed on the front page of speedfan does nothing to the fan RPMs reported above. 

go into advanced tab and look through the chips drop-down. look through each one 

I've tried using speedfan. It's interface isn't...great.

Are there any good alternatives that let me setup fan curves for the fans on my Mobo?

I recently did the "Big 120 mm fan replacing blower fan" mod on my GPU, and now I want a good way to control it. 

If you google around for "alternatives to speedfan" you get a lot of MONITORING programs, but not a lot of fan "control" programs. I want the latter. 

1 minute ago, Sierra Fox said:

first question is, does Speedfan actually work? some motherboards and a lot of laptops cant be controlled using speedfan, which generally means you wont be able to alter the fan speed with any program. 

If it does work, try MSI Afterburner

I can't tell if speedfan works. It can read all of the temps and RPMs of my fans just fine, but I can't seem to control the fans... even after setting up a fan curve. 

You don't understand, the fan isn't plugged into the GPU, it's plugged into the motherboard. I don't think afterburner (which I already have installed) controls mobo fans.

sadly there isn't a whole lot of fan control software that is as powerful as speedfan. the only one that is close is NZXT's CAM software, but that requires compatible fan module. 

On 12/11/2016 at 5:33 PM, corrado33 said:

I can't tell if speedfan works. It can read all of the temps and RPMs of my fans just fine, but I can't seem to control the fans... even after setting up a fan curve. 

You don't understand, the fan isn't plugged into the GPU, it's plugged into the motherboard. I don't think afterburner (which I already have installed) controls mobo fans.

go into configure > speeds 

Have you switched the controller settings in the "Advanced"-Tab? You should go through a speefan tutorial if you don't know how to configure it properly.

Once perfectly configured, SpeedFan is a good piece of software, especially because it supports tons of hardware.

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

go into configure > speeds 

Changing the PWM speed on the front page of speedfan does nothing to the fan RPMs reported above. 

NZXT's cam is your next best bet

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

go into advanced tab and look through the chips drop-down. look through each one 

NICE!!! That did the trick!

The PWM fan 2 (the one I want to control) was set to "Smart Guardian" instead of "software controlled."

Man, that's a lot of buttons I had to enable just to CONTROL a single fan...

You would think that speedfan would have a warning stating "fan is not set to software control, therefore fan control will do nothing."

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

NICE!!! That did the trick!

The PWM fan 2 (the one I want to control) was set to "Smart Guardian" instead of "software controlled."

Man, that's a lot of buttons I had to enable just to CONTROL a single fan...

You would think that speedfan would have a warning stating "fan is not set to software control, therefore fan control will do nothing."

yeah you have to tinker with the software a little bit to get it to work. 

it's pretty archaic, via it hasn't been updated in ages. but it's pretty powerful 

yeah you have to tinker with the software a little bit to get it to work. 

it's pretty archaic, via it hasn't been updated in ages. but it's pretty powerful 

Yeah, I can see that now. It is super powerful. And now I'm going to try to make the computer silent at idle. 

By default the CPU fan runs at 800-900 RPM at idle. I'll probably try 500 RPM or so and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Yeah, I can see that now. It is super powerful. And now I'm going to try to make the computer silent at idle. 

By default the CPU fan runs at 800-900 RPM at idle. I'll probably try 500 RPM or so and see what happens. 

there is also a graph fan control where you can automatically change fan speed according to delta temps and other factors. a bit more complicated but it's there

it depends on the fan sensors, fan header and mobo. ideally you would want a 4-pin fan to 4-pin header so you can set the fan as low as you want. typically CPU fans already have this covered so you can have a big window to change fan speed

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

there is also a graph fan control where you can automatically change fan speed according to delta temps and other factors. a bit more complicated but it's there

it depends on the fan sensors, fan header and mobo. ideally you would want a 4-pin fan to 4-pin header so you can set the fan as low as you want. typically CPU fans already have this covered so you can have a big window to change fan speed

Yep, pwm fan, pwm fan controller. Fan can go all the way to stop. (And still spins at 5%) Finally modded my 960 to have the features that EVERY OTHER FREAKING 960 HAD STOCK. 

No, I'm not angry. Why would you think that? ;)

• 9 months later...

Im trying this on my laptop.

it detects my cpu temps

but it doesnt detect my laptop fan

I'm a fan of Intel

On 9/20/2017 at 10:27 PM, rennygt3 said:

Im trying this on my laptop.

it detects my cpu temps

but it doesnt detect my laptop fan

Same. HP G7.

Another issue I've been having on my Desktop is that for some reason my CPU reads much hotter than any other applications, but in the other applications as soon as Speedfan is loaded they too read higher temperatures. But not immediately. It slowly rises to 50°c from 36°c, even though my CPU is idle. And then it stays there, my fan going from between 48% to 100% every minute or so even though I've set it to not ramp up until anything above 55°c.

But it seems like Speedfan is ACTUALLY raising my CPU temps? After a reboot to my bios, the CPU reads around 48°c, about where it was in Windows, and then slowly goes down around the natural idle temps of 36°c. If I don't load Speedfan, my fan stays quiet and the CPU idles at 36°c and never reaches above 54°c on load, even overclocked...like...wtf? I'm SO confused!

Even my entire system has become unstable at an overclock I know previously was perfectly fine. I've found out that because of the (incorrect?) temperature reading my GPU became unable to withstand a stable overclock, previously able to do so without Speedfan, my system would crash with an error related to unstable clocks (they were fine before, no crashing) like...Speedfan became a bane to my PCs existence. Without it running I'm totally stable now and can properly overclock all my components.

So...just don't use Speedfan I guess