(Help) AMD Radeon™ R5 230 GPU Core Edition CLHR

Hello Forums! Love LTT and Linus and Luke. thank you for taking time to read.

GFX:

XFX AMD Radeon™ R5 230 GPU (cannot be returned or exchanged, new in sealed box)

PreBuilt:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-112y Desktop PC Product Specifications w/Win10x64, BIOS set to PCIEx16 2.0 output.

Display:

Panasonic Viera 32" Class (31.5" Diag.) 720p LCD HDTV TC-L32X1

Issue:

-No video/sound when only using HDMI or DVI-D port to single display.

-Working after install, played Steam/Marvel Heroes 2016 with no issue.

-VGA out = working

-HDMI = Formerly working, changed settings to 1080p to test auto-revert function, does not revert, blank screen.

-Blank screen at Win10x64 login

Troubleshooting attempted:

Latest Crimson app/driver (courtesy beta release by AMD, no updates or support)

Latest Catalyst app/driver (WHQL certified, no further releases or updates)

AMD Clean Uninstall Utility (by AMD)

Manual Removal from Device Manager, delete gfx and audio driver.

Switching to VGA makes display appear, switching back to HDMI makes display appear, then 'vertical red checkerboard' lines, then blank (possibly crashing).

Possible next steps:

Restore Point

Full Windows reset. (Nuclear Option)

Recommendations?? Thank you for your time and consideration. Please request any additional info needed.

PS I know this is a crap build/upgrade, but it's all I have, a direct lightning strike fried all of my gear, including my router and PS3 and anything else that was plugged in. I do not have the means or resources to replace any of it. All of these items were donated to me by F&F and I am grateful for their kindness......and yours for helping. To the trolls: Yes, yes, it's garbage, I'm garbage, 'console peasant', 'filthy casual', and all of you had your way with my mother. Great stuff, well done, feel better??

Edited by ENIAC1946
Added detail to "Issue", DVI out has same issue

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does the display work with the igpu on the computer?

Probably a bad gpu, id return it, and get somethign like a used 750.

Yes, the ports and igpu work. The DVI-D and VGA port work on the gfx.

The card cannot be returned or exchanged, it was purchased and then shelved for later use. There is no budget for upgrades at this time.

Thank you for taking time to reply. ^_^

1 minute ago, ENIAC1946 said:

Yes, the ports and igpu work. The DVI-D and VGA port work on the gfx.

So only use the Dvi and vga?

I think those cards can only run 2 monitors at a time, so why does a bad hdmi matter. Also if you plug in a secord monitor you migt be able to reset the settings on the hdmi port.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

So only use the Dvi and vga?

I think those cards can only run 2 monitors at a time, so why does a bad hdmi matter. Also if you plug in a secord monitor you migt be able to reset the settings on the hdmi port.

Only the HDMI is being used, the other ports were tested only. Factory settings have been attempted, no effect.The VGA quality is poor and there is no way to connect the sound ports to the display except HDMI. Also, the HDMI on the display has been tested with a Lenovo laptop, no issues, sound and video show up correctly.

13 minutes ago, ENIAC1946 said:

Only the HDMI is being used, the other ports were tested only. Factory settings have been attempted, no effect.The VGA quality is poor and there is no way to connect the sound ports to the display except HDMI. Also, the HDMI on the display has been tested with a Lenovo laptop, no issues, sound and video show up correctly.

I'd say that the HDMI port is faulty. Unless you have another HDMI cable or TV/screen that supports HDMI to test the card with. Also, your rig isn't actually as bad as some newer ones from HP (in fact, the worst part would be the low quality motherboard). Yours at least has a Phenom II X4 that could be upgraded to a faster one-not a pathetic A4/A6 APU (which would TDP throttle).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

I'd say that the HDMI port is faulty. Unless you have another HDMI cable or TV/screen that supports HDMI to test the card with. Also, your rig isn't actually as bad as some newer ones from HP (in fact, the worst part would be the low quality motherboard). Yours at least has a Phenom II X4 that could be upgraded to a faster one-not a pathetic A4/A6 APU (which would TDP throttle).

Hello and thank you for taking time to respond!

I have tested it with other cables and another TV and it has the same result. I am convinced there is a registry key somewhere holding up progress and reverting the display to attempt 1080p settings instead of 720p or 1080i which are supported by the TV. That or I really damaged it when I used the Crimson OC and set bot sliders to full. But it was only for 30 secs and then I defaulted it because it crashed but then came back when I rebooted. That's when I started MH 2016 and it played several levels fine.

Funny you mention APUs, here is my Laptop.

Have a great day!

CORRECTION:

DVI and HDMI out have same issue, both show POST and Win10 logo, then go black when at login screen.

14 minutes ago, ENIAC1946 said:

CORRECTION:

DVI and HDMI out have same issue, both show POST and Win10 logo, then go black when at login screen.

Does your laptop run Windows 10? If so you could try installing its SSD in your desktop, and then see if it has any problems with the r5 230. I've had to do that myself recently, removing the 240GB SSD from my laptop (Asus U38N: https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/U38N/ ) and installing it in my desktop (Z97 Sabertooth MKII, 4790K, GTX 970). You shouldn't need to install the display driver BTW, because of the APU.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Does your laptop run Windows 10? If so you could try booting off it and see if it has any problems with the r5 230. I've had to do that myself recently, removing the 240GB SSD from my laptop (Asus U38N: https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/U38N/ ) and installing it in my desktop (Z97 Sabertooth MKII, 4790K, GTX 970). You shouldn't need to install the display driver BTW, because of the APU.

You have a very nice laptop, sir. Please PM me your address so I may steal it. Ha.

So, if I understand correctly, you are saying to use my 2.5 HDD from my Lenovo to boot into Windows 10 on the HP tower? Because the drivers are pre-installed on that HDD? Interesting technique. However I can't take my Laptop offline atm b/c I need to complete other projects today and these are my only two functioning systems.

But yes, I was on the roll-out team for Lumia (don't laugh) so all of my PC's have Win10. I do keep Win7 Ultimate and WinXP Pro SP2 on a USB, just for emergencies.

18 minutes ago, ENIAC1946 said:

You have a very nice laptop, sir. Please PM me your address so I may steal it. Ha.

So, if I understand correctly, you are saying to use my 2.5 HDD from my Lenovo to boot into Windows 10 on the HP tower? Because the drivers are pre-installed on that HDD? Interesting technique. However I can't take my Laptop offline atm b/c I need to complete other projects today and these are my only two functioning systems.

But yes, I was on the roll-out team for Lumia (don't laugh) so all of my PC's have Win10. I do keep Win7 Ultimate and WinXP Pro SP2 on a USB, just for emergencies.

The laptop isn't nice. It took 4 factory resets+2x Windows 8 re-installs to even get Windows to run any where near the way it should (then there is the APU being really slow, and ruining the rest of the laptop).

Yes, the 2.5" HDD from your laptop should boot into Windows 10 inside the desktop without any problems. Its mainly to see whether or not Windows is at fault, or the R5 230. (Its one of the good things from Windows 9x that's made it back in Windows 10-you can simply take out the boot drive, install it in another machine compatible with your version of Windows 9x/10, and your good to go).

And don't even bother trying the same with Windows XP or 7, on the rare occasions you don't get a BSOD loop, it takes a long time for both of them to install the correct drivers (Windows 10 also handles drivers as well as Windows 9x, that is to say, better than 7 and XP).

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The laptop isn't nice. It took 4 factory resets+2x Windows 8 re-installs to even get Windows to run any where near the way it should (then there is the APU being really slow, and ruining the rest of the laptop).

Yes, the 2.5" HDD from your laptop should boot into Windows 10 inside the desktop without any problems. Its mainly to see whether or not Windows is at fault, or the R5 230. (Its one of the good things from Windows 9x that's made it back in Windows 10-you can simply take out the boot drive, install it in another machine compatible with your version of Windows 9x/10, and your good to go).

And don't even bother trying the same with Windows XP or 7, on the rare occasions you don't get a BSOD loop, it takes a long time for both of them to install the correct drivers (Windows 10 also handles drivers as well as Windows 9x, that is to say, better than 7 and XP).

Excellent information and excellent suggestion, sir! And at least the brushed metal on your ASUS looks nice?? I only paid $254.00US for my Lenovo A8-6410 R5-M330 Beema 6GB, new in open-box from in-store BestBuy, so I am not complaining. Needed something right then and there and >$300; it was the best they had. If anyone cares, which I doubt.

Since there is nothing on the HP tower except Steam and Chrome, I'm just going to try resetting it, using WHQL Catalyst and see what happens. If it works, I'll try the Crimson Beta. The r5-230 puts out VGA no problem, so I don't think fried the chips. Who know's? I think I just needed a break from it and hear from another party. It may take a few days, but I will post results. Thank you again for taking time away from your day to read and respond. Luke said there were great ppl on the forums and I'm glad he was right.

You'll also see me in the build/plan thread as I would like to use this rig w/ an 'OC 3.6ghz Phenom II X4 125w AM3 socket cpu' on eBay for $25 and I want to find a budget 'Red Team' card, and possibly RAM and an SSD. I'd really like to find a nice gfx under $150 to start so I can play Marvel Heroes 2016......it's my only joy in life atm.

TYSM,

Enie

16 minutes ago, ENIAC1946 said:

Excellent information and excellent suggestion, sir! And at least the brushed metal on your ASUS looks nice?? I only paid $254.00US for my Lenovo A8-6410 R5-M330 Beema 6GB, new in open-box from in-store BestBuy, so I am not complaining. Needed something right then and there and >$300; it was the best they had. If anyone cares, which I doubt.

Since there is nothing on the HP tower except Steam and Chrome, I'm just going to try resetting it, using WHQL Catalyst and see what happens. If it works, I'll try the Crimson Beta. The r5-230 puts out VGA no problem, so I don't think fried the chips. Who know's? I think I just needed a break from it and hear from another party. It may take a few days, but I will post results. Thank you again for taking time away from your day to read and respond. Luke said there were great ppl on the forums and I'm glad he was right.

You'll also see me in the build/plan thread as I would like to use this rig w/ an 'OC 3.6ghz Phenom II X4 125w AM3 socket cpu' on eBay for $25 and I want to find a budget 'Red Team' card, and possibly RAM and an SSD. I'd really like to find a nice gfx under $150 to start so I can play Marvel Heroes 2016......it's my only joy in life atm.

TYSM,

Enie

Its not brushed aluminium-Asus only painted it to look like that, and even a few trips in a laptop bag have worn off paint around the edges, revealing the plain aluminium. So it doesn't look that good anymore. On the plus side, the same chassis is used on newer and far more powerful laptops (released even last year), so upgrading it to be an ultrabook isn't out of the question (only Intel based laptops can officially be ultrabooks)-I can even replace the battery as well if need be.

I recommend only using Catalyst, as Crimson removes OpenCL support (which is the main benefit of even a weak GPU, and especially APU). And its possible that the connectors themselves have died-though my only experience with that is my old Diamond SIII S540, which has its VGA connector damaged, and only outputting green and red (seeing everything in a shade of yellow is fun).

And that Phenom II X4 would be an excellent upgrade at that price, also I recommend in the future not going over an RX460/RX 470, as any upgrade past that would be wasted due to the Phenom II becoming a bottleneck. BTW, an SSD will give you the greatest initial speed boost-even my old laptop with SATA II+Phenom II X4 N970 (2.2GHz) was faster and more responsive with a cheap SSD.

PMSL

15 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Its not brushed aluminium-Asus only painted it to look like that, and even a few trips in a laptop bag have worn off paint around the edges, revealing the plain aluminium. So it doesn't look that good anymore. On the plus side, the same chassis is used on newer and far more powerful laptops (released even last year), so upgrading it to be an ultrabook isn't out of the question (only Intel based laptops can officially be ultrabooks)-I can even replace the battery as well if need be.

I recommend only using Catalyst, as Crimson removes OpenCL support (which is the main benefit of even a weak GPU, and especially APU). And its possible that the connectors themselves have died-though my only experience with that is my old Diamond SIII S540, which has its VGA connector damaged, and only outputting green and red (seeing everything in a shade of yellow is fun).

And that Phenom II X4 would be an excellent upgrade at that price, also I recommend in the future not going over an RX460/RX 470, as any upgrade past that would be wasted due to the Phenom II becoming a bottleneck. BTW, an SSD will give you the greatest initial speed boost-even my old laptop with SATA II+Phenom II X4 N970 (2.2GHz) was faster and more responsive with a cheap SSD.

Mr. DaBomb,

Just writing a quick update for yourself or anyone viewing this thread; I have contacted XFX, the manf, and since I did register the card at time of purchase, they are offering assistance and replacement, failing finding a solution.

Quote: "Hi,

Thank you for contacting XFX Technical Support. We're very sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with our product. Let me help you in troubleshooting your product and see if we can fix it. If we cant, ill assist you in requesting a replacement. Have you tried to test the card to a different machine to check if the issue follows the card? Did you try to update the BIOS of your motherboard?

Yours,

Paul

XFX Technical Support"

Also, troubleshooting I have tried since my last post:

-Restarting Win10 in safe mode.

-uninstalling & reinstalling Win10x64 Catalyst 15.7.1, failed to install, stops at 100% fails to "finish".

-uninstalling & reinstalling Win10x64 Crimson Beta, failed, fails during rez change.

-Switching (Single) from VGA to DVI & HDMI works until resolution increase, then fails.

-Running DVI or HDMI works until Win10 login page, then "goes black"/fails.

-Re-seating card and checking all connections worked until Driver installation automatic resolution change, then fails.

Notes: BIOS is set to dedicated PCIe gfx output. System has permanent OEM covers over MB igpu i/o.  No BIOS update for this model. BIOS update for MB in different build states in release notes that fix is only to resolve "sleep state" issue. Card was tested in previous Acer/Gateway system with mixed results. System was retired and replaced with upgraded model from HP. 

Thank you for all the helpful information Mr DeBomb and to everyone else taking time to read or reply.

-Enie

8 hours ago, ENIAC1946 said:

Mr. DaBomb,

Just writing a quick update for yourself or anyone viewing this thread; I have contacted XFX, the manf, and since I did register the card at time of purchase, they are offering assistance and replacement, failing finding a solution.

Quote: "Hi,

Thank you for contacting XFX Technical Support. We're very sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with our product. Let me help you in troubleshooting your product and see if we can fix it. If we cant, ill assist you in requesting a replacement. Have you tried to test the card to a different machine to check if the issue follows the card? Did you try to update the BIOS of your motherboard?

Yours,

Paul

XFX Technical Support"

Also, troubleshooting I have tried since my last post:

-Restarting Win10 in safe mode.

-uninstalling & reinstalling Win10x64 Catalyst 15.7.1, failed to install, stops at 100% fails to "finish".

-uninstalling & reinstalling Win10x64 Crimson Beta, failed, fails during rez change.

-Switching (Single) from VGA to DVI & HDMI works until resolution increase, then fails.

-Running DVI or HDMI works until Win10 login page, then "goes black"/fails.

-Re-seating card and checking all connections worked until Driver installation automatic resolution change, then fails.

Notes: BIOS is set to dedicated PCIe gfx output. System has permanent OEM covers over MB igpu i/o.  No BIOS update for this model. BIOS update for MB in different build states in release notes that fix is only to resolve "sleep state" issue. Card was tested in previous Acer/Gateway system with mixed results. System was retired and replaced with upgraded model from HP. 

Thank you for all the helpful information Mr DeBomb and to everyone else taking time to read or reply.

-Enie

The kind of problem your seeing isn't linked to the motherboard since if it was, all outputs wouldn't be working properly.

PMSL

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:25 PM, Dabombinable said:

The kind of problem your seeing isn't linked to the motherboard since if it was, all outputs wouldn't be working properly.

Hey, just wanted to reply with a quick update.

Cards on the table, I knew I popped the gpu when I tried the Crimson OC at the highest setting; only got output until putting a load on it again. XFX didn't ask and I didn't say, so they are going to RMA. That is, IF I can find the receipt from my local Best Buy retailer from 22 months ago.

Initially, I bought it because I had a store credit, I didn't game, and was only having an issue watching HD videos on the previous rig. This card seemed to check all the boxes. Were I in the same situation now, I would just save my credit until I could add cash and buy something just good enough to play indie titles. (Btw, we have no used gpu market here; cards start at $250, there's very few for sale, and my rig as-is can't run those cards anyway.)

So, I have three options:

1. RMA-Attempt to locate or reprint old receipt.

2. RMA-Fabricate an untraceable invoice for a local mom&pop.

3. REPLACE-Purchase a similar but slightly better card, repackage the failed card and return it to the retailer, (claiming it doesn't work and/or that I was shipped the wrong order) who will, in turn, return it to the manufacturer for a merchandise or invoice credit. The manufacturer will most likely repair the card and use it aww a refurbished or warranty replacement for another user.

2&3 may sound unethical, but you can't argue the effectiveness.

Besides, if I was worried about ethics, I wouldn't have taken the product sample my employer at the time gave me to use for in-store demonstrations back to the retailer for store credit instead of returning it my former employer. It was an add-on camera lens accessory  for Apple or Flagship Samsungs. They were ours to keep, but I never used mine because I have a Windows Phone. So I used it to get something I needed, like a gpu for HD video. And I did register the card with XFX when I got it, with a copy of the original receipt. My XFX support profile even shows the S/N and when i registered it. So making me show proof, again, after all this time feels asinine and overly bureaucratic.

Options 2&3 are my response to such behavior.

Thoughts? Questions?

5 hours ago, ENIAC1946 said:

Hey, just wanted to reply with a quick update.

Cards on the table, I knew I popped the gpu when I tried the Crimson OC at the highest setting; only got output until putting a load on it again. XFX didn't ask and I didn't say, so they are going to RMA. That is, IF I can find the receipt from my local Best Buy retailer from 22 months ago.

Initially, I bought it because I had a store credit, I didn't game, and was only having an issue watching HD videos on the previous rig. This card seemed to check all the boxes. Were I in the same situation now, I would just save my credit until I could add cash and buy something just good enough to play indie titles. (Btw, we have no used gpu market here; cards start at $250, there's very few for sale, and my rig as-is can't run those cards anyway.)

So, I have three options:

1. RMA-Attempt to locate or reprint old receipt.

2. RMA-Fabricate an untraceable invoice for a local mom&pop.

3. REPLACE-Purchase a similar but slightly better card, repackage the failed card and return it to the retailer, (claiming it doesn't work and/or that I was shipped the wrong order) who will, in turn, return it to the manufacturer for a merchandise or invoice credit. The manufacturer will most likely repair the card and use it aww a refurbished or warranty replacement for another user.

2&3 may sound unethical, but you can't argue the effectiveness.

Besides, if I was worried about ethics, I wouldn't have taken the product sample my employer at the time gave me to use for in-store demonstrations back to the retailer for store credit instead of returning it my former employer. It was an add-on camera lens accessory  for Apple or Flagship Samsungs. They were ours to keep, but I never used mine because I have a Windows Phone. So I used it to get something I needed, like a gpu for HD video. And I did register the card with XFX when I got it, with a copy of the original receipt. My XFX support profile even shows the S/N and when i registered it. So making me show proof, again, after all this time feels asinine and overly bureaucratic.

Options 2&3 are my response to such behavior.

Thoughts? Questions?

At this point, you would be better off to cut your losses, and get a new graphics card-though stay far away from the GT 730/740 and older cards, those are weaker than the iGPU found in 4th gen i5. I recommend not going with any graphics card below the high end R7 or GTX range, as anything less is just poor value for money.\

PMSL

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:15 PM, ENIAC1946 said:

Hello Forums! Love LTT and Linus and Luke. thank you for taking time to read.

GFX:

XFX AMD Radeon™ R5 230 GPU (cannot be returned or exchanged, new in sealed box)

PreBuilt:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-112y Desktop PC Product Specifications w/Win10x64, BIOS set to PCIEx16 2.0 output.

Display:

Panasonic Viera 32" Class (31.5" Diag.) 720p LCD HDTV TC-L32X1

Issue:

-No video/sound when only using HDMI or DVI-D port to single display.

-Working after install, played Steam/Marvel Heroes 2016 with no issue.

-VGA out = working

-HDMI = Formerly working, changed settings to 1080p to test auto-revert function, does not revert, blank screen.

-Blank screen at Win10x64 login

Troubleshooting attempted:

Latest Crimson app/driver (courtesy beta release by AMD, no updates or support)

Latest Catalyst app/driver (WHQL certified, no further releases or updates)

AMD Clean Uninstall Utility (by AMD)

Manual Removal from Device Manager, delete gfx and audio driver.

Switching to VGA makes display appear, switching back to HDMI makes display appear, then 'vertical red checkerboard' lines, then blank (possibly crashing).

Possible next steps:

Restore Point

Full Windows reset. (Nuclear Option)

Recommendations?? Thank you for your time and consideration. Please request any additional info needed.

PS I know this is a crap build/upgrade, but it's all I have, a direct lightning strike fried all of my gear, including my router and PS3 and anything else that was plugged in. I do not have the means or resources to replace any of it. All of these items were donated to me by F&F and I am grateful for their kindness......and yours for helping. To the trolls: Yes, yes, it's garbage, I'm garbage, 'console peasant', 'filthy casual', and all of you had your way with my mother. Great stuff, well done, feel better??

wp_ss_20170116_0001.png