Why dual loops? Water cooling.

I am just curious.... why do some people do dual and triple loops in water cooled pcs? for example a pc with a complete loop for the cpu and a different one for graphics.... considering the water moves heat so fast it does not get that hot to cause heat to be sent from one component to the other... and if so why not have a radiator in between cpu and gpu on the loop. I just don't see the point in 2 pumps 2 loops.

It's mostly unnecessary, but it does yield a small improvement in temperatures, and it just looks cooler. plus, most people wont be able to mount a quad-radiator in their case, but they can mount two separate dual radiators in different places.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

It's mostly unnecessary, but it does yield a small improvement in temperatures, and it just looks cooler. plus, most people wont be able to mount a quad-radiator in their case, but they can mount two separate dual radiators in different places.

True but you can have 2 rads in one loop and usually by the time you add dual pumps is it really that much neater? so it's mainly for looks eh  ?

100% looks.

Some people have really big cases they need to fill up with watercooling stuff they spend thousands of dollars on.

And btw the fluid moves so fast in a loop that it does not matter if you have a radiator "in between" components, all the fluid in the loop is almost exactly the same temperature.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

26 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I am just curious.... why do some people do dual and triple loops in water cooled pcs? for example a pc with a complete loop for the cpu and a different one for graphics.... considering the water moves heat so fast it does not get that hot to cause heat to be sent from one component to the other... and if so why not have a radiator in between cpu and gpu on the loop. I just don't see the point in 2 pumps 2 loops.

mainly for looks.... if you have heavily overclocked hardware, several GPU's, and a high TDP GPU like an X99 chip... then MAYBE you can get a couple degree difference if you're running all those components in series (but i really mean like 1-2 degrees tops). its mostly an aesthetic thing or preference thing. it also allows you to have different coloured coolant per loop if you desired such a thing.

I can see pros and cons to one, two and three loop systems, JMHO it really depends on what your doing and how deep your pockets are. I think if you have a simple system that is not  pushed too hard a single loop properly sized is just fine.

I myself am running a single loop with three water blocks (CPU, GPU, MB). I'm running three radiators, one in between each block and after hours of Prime 95 and Heaven or hardcore gaming my GPU has never gone over 40.55c/105f and my CPU 35c/95f (Ambient 70f) .

Water Cooled Cooler Master HAF XB EVO

P.S. I'm hoping to add the RAM into the loop this week after a few needed parts are delivered.

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

2 hours ago, Eddie Current said:

I can see pros and cons to one, two and three loop systems, JMHO it really depends on what your doing and how deep your pockets are. I think if you have a simple system that is not  pushed too hard a single loop properly sized is just fine.

I myself am running a single loop with three water blocks (CPU, GPU, MB). I'm running three radiators, one in between each block and after hours of Prime 95 and Heaven or hardcore gaming my GPU has never gone over 40.55c/105f and my CPU 35c/95f (Ambient 70f) .

Water Cooled Cooler Master HAF XB EVO

P.S. I'm hoping to add the RAM into the loop this week after a few needed parts are delivered.

I will give you some advice...... do not do ram... you will regret it.... if you ever have to reseat ur ram it's terrible, it offers no performance benifits at all... i mean it looks cool i guess but i did it before and it was not worth it remotely 

There was someone on the forum about a month ago that was complaining they were getting worse temps on their new expensive custom loop than what they had on their previous aio.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

There was someone on the forum about a month ago that was complaining they were getting worse temps on their new expensive custom loop than what they had on their previous aio.

Sounds like they hadid too much on their rad

OR their flow is going the wrong way so it makes so little contact 

Hard enough to fit one loop in certain systems. I did pick up a core x9 a year ago to do a dual loop in. Used it for about 2 days. Just took a jig saw to my old case and called it a day. 

Also I would add the ram to the loop. I've never had to reseat ram, ever. Also no reason to let it sit 50c and bake. Wasn't even $100 so why not. People waste more on back plates when they don't even have ram on the back of the card. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

18 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I will give you some advice...... do not do ram... you will regret it.... if you ever have to reseat ur ram it's terrible, it offers no performance benifits at all... i mean it looks cool i guess but i did it before and it was not worth it remotely 

LOL, 2 Late!

Water Cooled RAM

Has anyone ever done a study on cooling RAM?

On:

No heat spreaders (with and without fans blowing on them)

W/ heat spreaders (with and without fans blowing on them)

W/ Water Blocks (single loop)

W/ Water Blocks (isolated loop (RAM only)

P.S. I have never had to reinstall my RAM and I have built at least 15 computers in the last 18 years.

1 hour ago, Eddie Current said:

LOL, 2 Late!

Water Cooled RAM

On:

P.S. I have never had to reinstall my RAM and I have built at least 15 computers in the last 18 years.

I rarely have to reinstall unless there's a real bad overclock.... I mean go for it if you want but holy crap it's not worth it. ... I mean maybe if you go nuts and pound mac voltage to the ram 

1 hour ago, Eddie Current said:

LOL, 2 Late!

Water Cooled RAM

On:

Try to get it early in the loop or u likley will heat uR ram up.

1 hour ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Try to get it early in the loop or u likley will heat uR ram up.

No worries, they'll be chillin, the current system goes like this: Pump>CPU>2X120 Rad>MB>1x120 Rad>GPU>4x120 Rad>Res>Pump

W/RAM: Pump>RAM>MB>1x120 Rad>CPU>2x120 Rad>GPU>4x120>Res>Pump

15 minutes ago, Eddie Current said:

No worries, they'll be chillin, the current system goes like this: Pump>CPU>2X120 Rad>MB>1x120 Rad>GPU>4x120 Rad>Res>Pump

W/RAM: Pump>RAM>MB>1x120 Rad>CPU>2x120 Rad>GPU>4x120>Res>Pump

The only downside is most blocks are made for bare memory. so the simple plain green stick.... Any added thickness usually is to big for the block design 

I put my ram last in the loop. After 6 other components. It still didn't blow up and ran cooler then it was on air. And I do believe that's the point of water cooling. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 12/11/2016 at 2:12 AM, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I just don't see the point in 2 pumps 2 loops.

Simple: demonstrably better cooling performance.

In my system, the components being cooled: 5960X OC'd to 4.3GHz, and 2 Titan Pascals OC'd +200/+500.  My former loop went: pump -> CPU block -> 480x60mm rad -> GPUs (in series) -> another 480x60mm rad -> 240x45mm rad -> reservoir.

What I observed was that each of the components were reaching similar temperatures under heavy CPU load or heavy GPU load, or even under idle.  I have my CPU running 100% at all times; in other words it doesn't down-clock itself.  And it idles a bit high for being water cooled: in the mid-30s ºC.  Interesting, so did the GPUs.  In fact, they idled right around the same temps.

Under gaming load (eg: Battlefield 1), the GPUs would quickly warm up to around 50ºC under the worst circumstances.  The CPU would lag behind them a bit, but eventually get up near 50 as well.

None of these temperatures are bad, mind you.  Not at all.  But I decided to optimize the build by adding another pump and res.  The CPU continues using the first rad, but the outlet of that rad leads back to the first res.  The GPU loop is similar: pump -> GPUs -> 2 rads -> res.

The results?  They're interesting, actually.  Under idle conditions with the same OC settings, the CPU climbs right up into its comfortable mid-30s spot and stays there.  The GPUs?  I've seen them idle as low as 28ºC.  Seriously.  What this means is that the idling CPU was actually warming up the idling GPUs.  Again: not terribly, but it was happening.

Under gaming, the same thing happened in reverse.  Now, BF1 does pummel your CPU a bit, but nothing like it exercises your GPU(s).  Under gaming load, the GPUs both climb right up to around 50ºC again.  The CPU?  It hits a spot in the high 30s/low 40s and stays there.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

On 11. 12. 2016 at 8:24 AM, Enderman said:

100% looks.

Some people have really big cases they need to fill up with watercooling stuff they spend thousands of dollars on.

And btw the fluid moves so fast in a loop that it does not matter if you have a radiator "in between" components, all the fluid in the loop is almost exactly the same temperature.

Agree with this.

I have my loop from resorvair to GPU to CPU and then to radiators and back to resorvair.

At load while gaming I measure temperatures: water entering GPU was 40°C and water exiting CPU was almost 42°C.

Not a big difference.

And yes I know that water temp is a bit high, but that was after few hours of GPU at 100% load and CPU around 50%.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

On 11/12/2016 at 7:24 AM, Enderman said:

100% looks.

large.IMG_20161213_134537.jpg.34be5933f0

large.IMG_20161213_134544.jpg.328eef32b3

Strongly disagree.  You think this looks nice.  Its 100% for performance. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

3 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

Strongly disagree.  You think this looks nice.  Its 100% for performance. 

Performance for someone who doesn't understand that you would get the same temps with 1 loop vs 2.

It still performs the same, there is no down side to doing it.

That's why people don't do it "for performance" anymore (because they are smarter) they do it for looks:

Image result for dual loop pcRelated image

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's prolly best to do a loop per component. Scientifically proven to be 10 times better. And looks amazing. 

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Performance for someone who doesn't understand that you would get the same temps with 1 loop vs 2.

It still performs the same, there is no down side to doing it.

That's why people don't do it "for performance" anymore (because they are smarter) they do it for looks:

thats not true though. having a separate rad for every part keeps the water cooler than going through all of the parts one at a time unless you manage to heat up 20+ litres of water. people do it for performance. as usual you dont know what you are talking about :P 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

8 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

thats not true though. having a separate rad for every part keeps the water cooler than going through all of the parts one at a time unless you manage to heat up 20+ litres of water. people do it for performance. as usual you dont know what you are talking about :P 

No you're wrong. The fluid moves at thousands of litres per hour.

As long as you have a decent pump like a D5 then there is ZERO difference between running 4 components and then 4 rads, vs each components with one rad in between, vs 1 rad + 1 component per loop.

This is called temperature normalization, and no there is no temperature benefit from running mroe than one loop.

The temperature depends 100% on how many radiators there are, and what the ambient temperature is.

Even the pump fluid speed doesn't really matter unless it is extremely slow.

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No you're wrong. The fluid moves at thousands of litres per hour.

As long as you have a decent pump like a D5 then there is ZERO difference between running 4 components and then 4 rads, vs each components with one rad in between, vs 1 rad + 1 component per loop.

This is called temperature normalization, and no there is no temperature benefit from running mroe than one loop.

The temperature depends 100% on how many radiators there are, and what the ambient temperature is.

Even the pump fluid speed doesn't really matter unless it is extremely slow.

when benching you dont let the water temperature get to a static temperature unless that temp is 0c. also you might run a chiller on the most inportant loop and you dont want the heat from one component effecting that loop. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme