Airflow VS. Static Pressure

Object.426

Hey guys! I hope you can help.

So I was cleaning my PC recently, and I noticed that there dust particles that are too big to pass through the filtered fan intake that is on front of my case, not to mention, that I have a 360 mm rad in front, that should act as a filter too. (somewhat) So I did a bit of research about it, found a vid from an unamed youtuber (name starts with a "J") Which is about airflow in your case. And that negative air pressure is the culprit, since it forces air in to unfiltered openings in your case.

So here is my fan lay out.
3x - 120 mm SP fans front

2x - 140 mm stock case fan top

1x -140 mm stock case fan rear

2x - 70 mm AF fans rear

Right away, you can see the ration of the fans will give out a negative pressure. I am not looking at adding fans for intakes. What type should I go for? SP or AF? Not that 3 of them will be mounted at the rad, for a push and pull set up.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Object.426 said:

Hey guys! I hope you can help.

So I was cleaning my PC recently, and I noticed that there dust particles that are too big to pass through the filtered fan intake that is on front of my case, not to mention, that I have a 360 mm rad in front, that should act as a filter too. (somewhat) So I did a bit of research about it, found a vid from an unamed youtuber (name starts with a "J") Which is about airflow in your case. And that negative air pressure is the culprit, since it forces air in to unfiltered openings in your case.

3x - 120 mm SP fans front

2x - 140 mm stock case fan top

1x -140 mm stock case fan rear

2x - 70 mm AF fans rear

Right away, you can see the ration of the fans will give out a negative pressure. I am not looking at adding fans for intakes. What type should I go for? SP or AF? Not that 3 of them will be mounted at the rad, for a push and pull set up.

Thanks!

You know yoo get a balanced airflow you can just flip some of the fans over(also you have to tell us which are intakes and which are exhausts)Also if it's stuck in the dust filter just clean the dust filter

Edited by Himommies

My life

It's hard to tell if there is negative air pressure if you don't tell us what fans are exhaust/intake.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

You know yoo get a balanced airflow you can just flip some of the fans over(also you have to tell us which are intakes and which are exhausts)

Sorry,

3x - 120 mm SP fans front - Intake

2x - 140 mm stock case fan top - Exhaust

1x -140 mm stock case fan rear - Exhaust

2x - 70 mm AF fans rear - Exhaust

I cant flip the other fans since they are mounted on non filtered openings. I only have the front one to work with.

Just now, Object.426 said:

Sorry,

I cant flip the other fans since they are mounted on non filtered openings. I only have the front one to work with.

What case do you have I wanna use MS paint to draw a diagram

My life

What case do you have I wanna use MS paint to draw a diagram

That would be awesome! Its a CM Master Case 5. Not the Pro or Maker version.

Buy filters or make them yourself, and then flip the fans. Or simply remove some of your fans.

Just now, Pheelo said:

Buy filters or make them yourself, and then flip the fans. Or simply remove some of your fans.

C'mon man! Don't wanna remove fans, I like them fans. Just wanted to know which fan type to use, Airflow or Static Pressure.

Blue for exhaust red for intake

Also where did you put those 70mm fans seems to me theres no room for them

CMMS5_18.JPG

My life

1 minute ago, Object.426 said:

C'mon man! Don't wanna remove fans, I like them fans. Just wanted to know which fan type to use, Airflow or Static Pressure.

Static preassure seems to perform better 9/10 times, but it comes with a price: noise.

Have you tried actually unplugging some of them and monitoring the temperature levels? Youd be surprised how few is needed to maintain decent temperatures.

Blue for exhaust red for intake

Also where did you put those 70mm fans seems to me theres no room for them

CMMS5_18.JPG

There is a spot for those 70 mm fans, an I have it mounted beside the expansion slots. I could actually use an 80 mm, but I will have no space to remove the graphics card.

1.PNG

Just now, Object.426 said:

There is a spot for those 70 mm fans, an I have it mounted beside the expansion slots. I could actually use an 80 mm, but I will have no space to remove the graphics card.

1.PNG

I don't think thats meant to be used as a fan spot

My life

I don't think thats meant to be used as a fan spot

Its not, I saw it as a waste of space. Coincidentally, I found an HDD cooler, an old school accessory, it had 2 700 fans, so I used it as exhaust.

9 minutes ago, Pheelo said:

Static preassure seems to perform better 9/10 times, but it comes with a price: noise.

Have you tried actually unplugging some of them and monitoring the temperature levels? Youd be surprised how few is needed to maintain decent temperatures.

I don't mind the noise. 1 vote for SP then.

Look at the "Workshop" video Luke did, he tested different fan configurations, after a certain point the fans where POINTLESS, you are WELL past that point and could actually be hurting airflow due to adding turbulence to the system.

6 hours ago, Object.426 said:

Sorry,

All fans have some degree of static pressure and airflow. Stating a fan is airflow or static pressure ultimately means very little. 

What are your specs? What fans do you have?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.