EK predator R1.1 leaking

MkaiL

So I've made an unpleasant discovery today. My EK predator 360 is leaking. I've had this unit for about 1 month, not been used that long though. I already rma'd one unit because it came faulty, and now this. The weird thing is, both fittings are leaking. And not where the tubing is connected, but behind it where the fitting self is connected to the pump and res. I've not modified anything, just put it in my pc like it came out of the box (after first testing it of course). I've had my pc for two months now and only been able to use it for 3 weeks with my water cooler. I rma'd the first unit after 2 days and had to wait for 3 weeks to get a new one meaning that I had to buy another cooler or wait for 3 weeks.

Should I still go for EK or try to get my money back? I use the rad as intake so it stands vertical, meaning that water dripped on my psu cables under the psu shroud. I'm scared to turn my pc on (with another cooler). In case something goes wrong, is it covered by EK's warranty? How should I clean it up? 

15388804_1172957719479140_1879283977_o.jpg

try screwing in the fittings a little tighter. behind those fitting is an O-ring that is supposed to keep it watertight, but if the pressure on those rings is insufficient leaks may still occur.

5 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

try screwing in the fittings a little tighter. behind those fitting is an O-ring that is supposed to keep it watertight, but if the pressure on those rings is insufficient leaks may still occur.

o rings are only on rigid tubing, the flex tube uses barb fittings

@MkaiL

to me, that doesn't look like leaking but tubes rubbing against the fitting - but then again, it's just a pic

@zMeul it's not rubbing, that's from the flash of my camera hitting the shiny fittings. It is leaking behind the fittings though, both are dripping liquid.

4 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

@zMeul it's not rubbing, that's from the flash of my camera hitting the shiny fittings. It is leaking behind the fittings though, both are dripping liquid.

yeas I think I see it now, did not know where to look exactly

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

o rings are only on rigid tubing, the flex tube uses barb fittings

@MkaiL

to me, that doesn't look like leaking but tubes rubbing against the fitting - but then again, it's just a pic

you realise there are o rings behind the fitting where they go into the rad right? ffs i hava a custom cooling loop myself i think i know how those fittings work :P

So should I just tighten them? Don't want to over tighten them since the fitting sits over a plastic piece and not into the rad itself. 

Try to hand-tight the fittings.  Since those fittings are rotary, be sure to screw the base part of the fitting.  The base part is the one with 2 flat surfaces on it.

If it looks to be tight, then it's a case of bad o-rings.  You'll have to open a ticket on our website and we'll take care of you.

Can you take a picture of where the leak dripped?

On 12/10/2016 at 4:23 AM, RollinLower said:

you realise there are o rings behind the fitting where they go into the rad right? ffs i hava a custom cooling loop myself i think i know how those fittings work :P

Sorry, no. Not ALL fittings use O-rings. Many use simple NPT connections which seal perfectly well.

Stop thinking you know everything. It makes it very easy to identify your age. 

well for now just try to hand tight them unless your arm strength can perfectly hand tight those used in a car then nope :D...

well all my stupidity aside, yep hand tight them I did come across a similar situation before on my first loop many years back so your situation could be similar. try it out mate and see if it solves your problem if not them I guess rma or something?

Live your life like a dream.

16 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Sorry, no. Not ALL fittings use O-rings. Many use simple NPT connections which seal perfectly well.

I have never once seen NPT on pc grade fittings. got any examples of that? i'm seriously curious now.

all fittings i have ever used on pc parts all have a type of seal between the block/radiator and the fitting. (EKWB, alphacool, bitspower)

NPT is usually reserved for systems running much higher pressures. (Going to the 100+Bars)

18 hours ago, corrado33 said:

I would also like to see these fittings that are so common you feel it necessary insult someone who hasn't used them in their pc loop.

I've built 7 custom loops and used hundreds of fittings for different style of tubing and NEVER used npt in a single one.  Only place I've seen them is qdc's but even then npt is optional and not very popular. 

Done be so rude, even if he's wrong (hint: he's not)

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Isn't this a known issue that EKWB is sending out replacements for?

All of the plastic barbs are cracking.

So I cleaned my pc up, and let it dry for a week just to be sure before starting it back up. Looks like the water didn't damage anything. I'm using an air cooler I still had from my first rma, I'm not buying an aio for now. Those EK kits look interesting though, maybe in the near future.

On 12-12-2016 at 1:50 PM, EK Luc said:

Try to hand-tight the fittings.  Since those fittings are rotary, be sure to screw the base part of the fitting.  The base part is the one with 2 flat surfaces on it.

If it looks to be tight, then it's a case of bad o-rings.  You'll have to open a ticket on our website and we'll take care of you.

Can you take a picture of where the leak dripped?

They were already tight, I couldn't turn them anymore. I think I saw a crack in the plastic just under the fitting on the left side. Also the front part of the right fitting is very wobbly and makes a pop sound when moving the tubing a little bit. I didn't take the fitting of to investigate further to avoid getting blamed for the problem. 

I rma'd it to the online store where I bought it from. Just got a message from them, they tested the unit and told me that it was faulty and will be paying me back since they can't get a replacement. 

I hope this picture gives you a better idea about the problem: 

15658234_1187271814714397_13712063_o.jpg

On 15-12-2016 at 2:33 PM, Dark said:

Isn't this a known issue that EKWB is sending out replacements for?

All of the plastic barbs are cracking.

I asked for my money back since this was the second faulty unit in less than 2 months. At first they (not EK) declined, but now I got a message saying they have no replacement unit and want to pay me back, so it might be a bigger problem than just my unit (also out of stock everywhere, and the place I bought it from deleted all predators from their website).