Pros and Cons of an m.2 drive

Lalna_Rocks

What are them pros and cons of an m.2 drive vs a 2.5 ssd.  The m.2 drive is going to be used for media and some gaming if it helps.  For reference i have the MSI gaming 7 Z97.

Pros: Speed, form factor.

Cons: Price, some motherboards have no m.2 ports

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

13 minutes ago, PigWithAMustache said:

Pros: Speed, form factor.

Cons: Price, some motherboards have no m.2 ports

that isn't not a con of the m.2 drive, that's a con of the motherboard. A con of a m.2 drive would be heat for the more higher end ones.

1 minute ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

that isn't not a con of the m.2 drive, that's a con of the motherboard. A con of a m.2 drive would be heat for the more higher end ones.

Following that logic it's also motherboard's con because new boards have M.2 cooling rads. It should say: A con of the M.2 drive is the M.2 slot requirement in the motherboard.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Some motherboard will make SATA ports unusable if there is M.2 drive

13 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Some motherboard will make SATA ports unusable if there is M.2 drive

mine does that

10 hours ago, Lalna_Rocks said:

What are them pros and cons of an m.2 drive vs a 2.5 ssd.  The m.2 drive is going to be used for media and some gaming if it helps.  For reference i have the MSI gaming 7 Z97.

Pros: -The Speed you will never notice  if you use pcie "NVMe" SSD

-Form Factor

Cons: - If you use PCIe "NVME" SSD,  The SSD will only run @x2 with your motherboard, not at full speed! You will maybe reach the 900MB/s 

Sata 5 and 6 Ports will be disabled in your MB

I suggest you to install your m.2 pcie Nvme SSD with an Adapter in the third PCIe Slot, you can use so the full speed @x4 gen3, if you don't use SLI

P.S. That Suggestion is only for the z97 Chipsets, not for the z170!!!