Possible motherboard failure ? PC Freezing in windows and BIOS

Sodium

Hey guys, something really strange is happening with my pc these few days. First off, let me start with the motherboard it's a M5A97 EVO R2.0, my board doesn't detect my RAM (It's a HyperX Fury 1600mhz 8GB, 1 stick only) on the A1 and B1 slots, it only detects my ram on the A2 and B2 slots, which is kinda strange because it used to detect just fine on the A1 and B1 slots previously. If i put the ram on the A1 or B1 slots, my DRAM LED turns on red and i get constant beeps saying that the ram was not detected, but if i put it on the A2 or B2 slots, it detects it just fine, the problem is that everytime i start my computer (everything at stock settings), it freezes after a few minutes. It even freezes in the BIOS. I've tried changing the ram timings but no success. I also got errors like "usb device over current status" which i somehow managed to fix by resetting the cmos battery.  I've also checked for bent pins on my cpu, everything is fine, no sign of bent pins. Could my board be dead ? 

1 hour ago, dj-lucas said:

do you have any other ram you can try?

The ram is working fine on another system. 

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A97-EVO_R2.0/E8045_M5A97_EVO_R20_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=1.229212191.2061407574.1481320206

First off please read the manual for your motherboard. It tells you the proper configuration for memory on your specific board ( I know it's hard to break the habit of not reading these things, but every manufacture is different.)

So with that in mind, on page 1-10 we see that for a single stick memory configuration you should only use slot A2.

Things we don't know:

Is the memory stick bad? http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Check for any possible grounding issues.

I hope you have been using an antistatic strap ;)

-Stephen

18 hours ago, downshiftxlr8 said:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A97-EVO_R2.0/E8045_M5A97_EVO_R20_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=1.229212191.2061407574.1481320206

First off please read the manual for your motherboard. It tells you the proper configuration for memory on your specific board ( I know it's hard to break the habit of not reading these things, but every manufacture is different.)

So with that in mind, on page 1-10 we see that for a single stick memory configuration you should only use slot A2.

Things we don't know:

Is the memory stick bad? http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Check for any possible grounding issues.

I hope you have been using an antistatic strap ;)

-Stephen

Thank you for your reply. I placed the ram stick on the A2 slot. Changed my ram timings to the following:

DRAM CAS# Latency: 10

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 10

DRAM RAS# PRE Time 10

DRAM RAS# ACT Time 28

DRAM READ to PRE Time 5

DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay 4

DRAM WRITE to READ Delay 5

DRAM CAS# write Latency 7

DRAM DRAM write recovery Time 10

DRAM REF Cycle time 300ns

DRAM Row Cycle Time 33

DRAM Read to WRITE Delay 8

DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DD) 1

DRAM Write to Write Timing 3

DRaM Read to Read Timing 3

DRAM Refresh Rate - Every 7.8ms

DRAM Command Rate 2T 1T

The system has been stable for almost 2 hours now, previously it would freeze in just 5-10 minutes. I'll probably mess around with these settings later.

EDIT: It seemed like the pc was stable, i ran it in prime 95 for 2 hours, thought everything was stable and i called it a night, came back today, turned it on, instant freeze. I guess a new motherboard will have to do here. 

On 10/12/2016 at 7:52 PM, downshiftxlr8 said:

Do you have another stick of memory to test?

No, but i highly doubt it's the ram. I removed the whole system out of the case just to see if anything was shorting out and the problem still persists. At this point, i'm just going to get a MSI 970 Gaming as a replacement. 

Just saying bad ram can prevent a system from booting. Worth a look to be certain.

1 minute ago, downshiftxlr8 said:

Just saying bad ram can prevent a system from booting. Worth a look to be certain.

Like, i even had the pc stable yesterday, i managed to play some rounds in cs go and whatnot, the computer stayed on practically the whole day. It just so happens that when i turn it off and go to sleep and come back in the morning, i turn it on and it freezes. Then i try to boot again and the cpu LED turns on. The only way for the cpu LED to go away and post again is by reseting the cmos. It's either my cpu that died which i highly doubt or the board died. This is so strange, it doesn't even feel like a tech problem, it feels like witchcraft... i'm literally scratching my head with this. First my gpu died. I got a new one, now a few weeks later this happens. I'm better off buying a console LMAO

I'm going with a new motherboard at this point. I'll update the issue once i get my hands on.