AMD HD 7790 & Nvidia GTX 655ti

Artorias

So, I've been reading some news on the web (namely Kitguru.net) that AMD is planning to release a new GPU which will be priced between the 7770 & the 7850 which is the 7790. So, I guess all the rumors running around the net are true. Sapphire's official facebook page released a sneak peek on the upcoming GPU themselves. I've heard that it'll also be released next month or so. On Nvidia side I've also heard some rumors that Nvidia is rushing out a new GPU that will compete with AMD's upcoming GPU and that is the GTX 655ti which will support SLI unlike the GTX 650ti as far as the rumors go. Here's some link to provide you more information.

SweClockers: (Credits to Caesar Rex for providing the link)

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/16702-radeon-hd-7790-bonaire-i-sweclockers-testlabb

Kitguru:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/jules/nvidia-655ti-rushed-out-to-battle-7790/

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Why? If these rumors are correct I don't see the point in these cards.

Yea the 7790 news has been known and pretty much confirmed for about a week (CeBIT).

The GPU will have 896 Stream Processors and will be based on the 28nm process. It won't be a new GPU, but rather a castrated Pitcairn, similar to the 7870 series. It will feature 14 active Compute Units from the 20 total. This model will bridge the gap between the 7770 and the 7850.

I don't have any infos about the green team equivalent, but that move was obviously expected.

The point on AMD's side is to bridge the gap between the 7770 & the 7850, which they don't have a card in that certain price point and on Nvidia's side they know that the GTX 650ti wouldn't be much of an opponent to the 7790 especially that it's rumored to be 10% slower than the 7850 but at a much much lower price point and that is why Nvidia decided to rushed out a GTX 655ti.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).

The point on AMD's side is to bridge the gap between the 7770 & the 7850, which they don't have a card in that certain price point and on Nvidia's side they know that the GTX 650ti wouldn't be much of an opponent to the 7790 especially that it's rumored to be 10% slower than the 7850 but at a much much lower price point and that is why Nvidia decided to rushed out a GTX 655ti.

But the price gap isn't even that large, that's why I don't get it.

The price gap is $50 and that $50 in the low-end market is already huge.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

Seems there's more than one choices for the mid range graphic card.

The 7790 is neither a rumor or a secret. SweClockers already have a 7790 review card.

Sapphire 7790 "Bonaire".

Performance is slightly below a 7850.

post-8908-13667862075322_thumb.jpg

The 7790 is neither a rumor or a secret. SweClockers already have a 7790 review card.

Woah! Seriously? Can you give me the link, please? I'm really curious about the review and I do hope it's in English. And, BTW, do they also have news about the rumored GTX 655ti?

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

The review is in Swedish. They have not yet done a full review but posted a preview with pictures and a few 3DMark graphs.

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/16702-radeon-hd-7790-bonaire-i-sweclockers-testlabb

Google Translate:

AMD is first, and has already started sending out test samples to manufacturers and the media. Radeon HD 7790 is based on the graphics processor "Bonaire", which first and foremost is for laptops, but now are used in separate graphics card.

The new Mid-Maker has 768 stream processors, 128-bit memory bus and 1 or 2 GB of memory. In Sapphire's performance Dual-X OC, it is about a GPU in the 1075 MHz and 6.4 GHz GDDR5 memory. Performance-wise ports model thus somewhere between the Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition and Radeon HD 7850th

The actual circuit board measures 21.5 inches and is equipped with a 6-pin PCI Express connector, which provides a maximum power of 150 W. In other visible connections for two DVI, one HDMI, and DisplayPort, and support for all common features, including AMD HD3D and Eyefinity.

Radeon HD 7790 is expected to show up sometime in the next few weeks, probably by the end of March or beginning of april. This model is for price point around 1200 Euros including VAT.

The review is in Swedish. They have not yet done a full review but posted a preview with pictures and a few 3DMark graphs. http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/16702-radeon-hd-7790-bonaire-i-sweclockers-testlabb Google Translate: AMD is first' date=' and has already started sending out test samples to manufacturers and the media. [/font']Radeon HD 7790 is based on the graphics processor "Bonaire", which first and foremost is for laptops, but now are used in separate graphics card. The new Mid-Maker has 768 stream processors, 128-bit memory bus and 1 or 2 GB of memory. In Sapphire's performance Dual-X OC, it is about a GPU in the 1075 MHz and 6.4 GHz GDDR5 memory. Performance-wise ports model thus somewhere between the Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition and Radeon HD 7850th The actual circuit board measures 21.5 inches and is equipped with a 6-pin PCI Express connector, which provides a maximum power of 150 W. In other visible connections for two DVI, one HDMI, and DisplayPort, and support for all common features, including AMD HD3D and Eyefinity. Radeon HD 7790 is expected to show up sometime in the next few weeks, probably by the end of March or beginning of april. This model is for price point around 1200 Euros including VAT.

Thanks, man! So the rumors are true or might be, judging from the specs. It's 10% slower than the 7850 but in a lower price point.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

Considering the price-performance of these lower end cards and how they still lag behind mid range 400 & 5000 series cards I'm still not convinced I see the point. I realized most people aren't looking for a 670/7850 or higher GPU but I just don't see a need for a price point between the overpriced 7770 (for its performance) and the 7850 (which has a much more reasonable price for its performance).

Hum, that "Bonaire" ASIC is a surprise to me. I thought they would have been able to use "lower binned" Pitcairn by now, but apparently the cost of producing those is still too high so that's why they needed to come up with this new "Bonaire". Anyway, great move by AMD, still delivering excellent value for every price point and a good way to add something fresh to the current line-up. We'll need that because it may still be a while before the next GPU architecture (Sea Islands), probably at the end of the year. And in-between we'll probably see the Red team's response to the Santa Clara's Giant, Titan : a dual 7970.

The review is in Swedish. They have not yet done a full review but posted a preview with pictures and a few 3DMark graphs.

Google Translate:

AMD is first, and has already started sending out test samples to manufacturers and the media. Radeon HD 7790 is based on the graphics processor "Bonaire", which first and foremost is for laptops, but now are used in separate graphics card.

The new Mid-Maker has 768 stream processors, 128-bit memory bus and 1 or 2 GB of memory. In Sapphire's performance Dual-X OC, it is about a GPU in the 1075 MHz and 6.4 GHz GDDR5 memory. Performance-wise ports model thus somewhere between the Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition and Radeon HD 7850th

The actual circuit board measures 21.5 inches and is equipped with a 6-pin PCI Express connector, which provides a maximum power of 150 W. In other visible connections for two DVI, one HDMI, and DisplayPort, and support for all common features, including AMD HD3D and Eyefinity.

Radeon HD 7790 is expected to show up sometime in the next few weeks, probably by the end of March or beginning of april. This model is for price point around 1200 Euros including VAT.

1200 Euros!!?? I think you mean 120

Google Translate:

I don't mean anything, blame Google Translate ;)