Should I get an SSD or GPU?

Akolyte

Well, depends what you do.  SSD upgrade will be noticeable everywhere.  GPU upgrade will be noticeable only in games.  I'm using basically an underclocked GT 640 right now and I get along pretty well with it, it'll hold me over until my main rig is finished (way down the road hehe).  Everyone has different standards though I suppose.  I don't think sticking with the GTX 650 for a little while longer is the end of the world.  And I really like the snappiness an SSD brings.

I thought Aus prices were bad man....look at places that ship internationally cause shipping something half way across the world is cheaper then that lol

See, this is the cheapest one! http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA47016

O wow, if 680's are still 1000, then I would just get the ssd. The cheapest thing I could say is worthwhile would be a 7870, but that will probably still be expensive! Find a friend in the states to buy a GPU and ship it ;)

Until you realize the shipping is a couple hundred bucks, followed by Customs.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

See, this is the cheapest one! http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA47016

He was talking about a 680 FYI

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Why is the SSD bad?

I forgot to add that you should save up for a new GPU. 650 to 660 performance gain doesn't justify the price in my opinion.

Spoiler

Saving for a 660 when you have a 650 makes little sense to me. Keep saving for something with more power, maybe you'll get lucky with a sale or something. Black Friday/ Cyber Monday is only a month away. Save the SSD for last.

We don't have those days over here, and

He was talking about a 680 FYI

well, then thier just above $800 cheapest one.

yeah, my PC specs cost about $2500 here.  So pretty expensive. To build a gaming pc costs around $5000

Over here they are around $1000

Amazon dude. You can get stuff so much cheaper, shipping is sometimes free on orders a certain size. And they aren't $1000. I've seen them on NZ sites for a little over $600 recently. And that's in NZD

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

The GPU I would get is a GTX 660 or an r7 260x

Then I would save up a bit more so you can afford a 280x, that wouldn't really be much of an upgrade

Amazon dude. You can get stuff so much cheaper, shipping is sometimes free on orders a certain size. And they aren't $1000. I've seen them on NZ sites for a little over $600 recently. And that's in NZD

WHERE O_O

Then I would save up a bit more so you can afford a 280x, that wouldn't really be much of an upgrade

Thanks!

Imo save for a GTX780,780Ti,790 or Titan or else get the SSD.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

7970's are better then a 680...

Hahahah.... Not they're not. Stock 680 > Stock 7970.

GTX 680 was Nvidia's response to 7970. 680 has always been faster. Only the factory OCs are faster, such as Ghz Editions.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

GTX 680 was Nvidia's response to 7970. 680 has always been faster. Only the factory OCs are faster, such as Ghz Editions.

When overclocked a 7970 will blow the 680 out of the water

When overclocked a 7970 will blow the 680 out of the water

I know. That's why I said stock, and that overclocked ones are faster...

LOL have you heard of VRAM and OCing?

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Yes, it is quite good.

Thanks, if I were to find an Intel SSD for the same price, would you say the Intel SSD would be better?

I don't know about NZ but Amazon doesn't seem to ship computer parts to Australia. 

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I don't know about NZ but Amazon doesn't seem to ship computer parts to Australia. 

they don't

No way is shipping that much! Can't be more than like 30 bucks. My parents business ships larger boxes all over the world, don't think shipping is EVER more than that. But I have no idea what customs would be, but it can't be THAT much either, or that entire country's importing would just be non-existent. Maybe it is that bad, I just can't imagine how it can be that hard to ship a 5 pound box...

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

$180 NZD for a 120GB SSD. WTF! Why on earth would you shop at noel leeming lol. You can get something way better like the samsung 840 Evo at $150.. And something else for even cheaper. Use things like pricespy.co.nz computerlounge.co.nz (computer lounge are the best guys out there) and pbtech.co.nz

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

$180 NZD for a 120GB SSD. WTF! Why on earth would you shop at noel leeming lol. You can get something way better like the samsung 840 Evo at $150.. And something else for even cheaper. Use things like pricespy.co.nz computerlounge.co.nz (computer lounge are the best guys out there) and pbtech.co.nz

Thanks man!