Re live update

sniip

Hey guys,

Still thinking what GPU to buy (It starts to kill me inside). What do you guys think, is it more worth to buy RX480 now after the new driver update? Or is the GTX1060 still a better option? (As in much better performing card). Imagine if both cards cost the same, which would you choose and why?

Thank you for your opinions in advance :)

1 minute ago, sniip said:

Hey guys,

Still thinking what GPU to buy (It starts to kill me inside). What do you guys think, is it more worth to buy RX480 now after the new driver update? Or is the GTX1060 still a better option? (As in much better performing card). Imagine if both cards cost the same, which would you choose and why?

It was never much better performing. Even before this update, they still were ball park each other. Before Relive, there was another update that made the 480 take the lead, and that's just going to be further now:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html

2 minutes ago, sniip said:

Hey guys,

RX480 8GB, better future support, 8gb vram over 6gb 

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Well the GTX in my opinion would be better, you get more performance and less heat and draws less power! 1060 would be the better option. 

PC:  Ryzen 5 1600 Gigabyte Gaming AB350 Gaming 3 | 16gb DDR4 2666MHz | Sapphire 5700xt 8gb | 2x Crucial 1TB SSD | EVGA 650w Fully Modular PSU | NZXT H440

10 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

people be salty af so -snip

PC:  Ryzen 5 1600 Gigabyte Gaming AB350 Gaming 3 | 16gb DDR4 2666MHz | Sapphire 5700xt 8gb | 2x Crucial 1TB SSD | EVGA 650w Fully Modular PSU | NZXT H440

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

You're an idiot if you think GPU Boss is a good way to compare GPUs. They are the literal definition of being bias as fuck.

Its been proven other places that the RX 480 produces more heat and draws way more power than the 1060..

People still use Gpuboss and cpu boss? 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Just now, Garett1 said:

Its been proven other places that the RX 480 produces more heat and draws way more power than the 1060..

The hell you've been. It's a 30 watt difference. That's how much power a Light-bulb uses.

11 minutes ago, sniip said:

Hey guys,

RX 480 was already better before the update imo, because you can get the 4GB version for significantly cheaper and it's the same performance. The 8GB is about the same price as a 1060 Relevant Edition, but really that much VRAM is just a nice-to-have in a GPU with this performance.

Now that AMD has ReLive, they win harder.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Garett1 said:

but gpuboss is a potato.

on topic: i'd consider them close enough in performance that it comes down to specific features to make a choice.

with specific features i mean things like this:

- nvidia: gsync, shield, geforce experience (hey, i'm sure someone likes it), the nvidia driver experience, better performance per wat generally, etc.

- AMD: freesync, whatever has been going on with the AMD drivers (i honestly havent been following it...), better performance per dollar generally, etc.

3 minutes ago, Garett1 said:

that has nothing to do with gpuboss being a disaster ;)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

but gpuboss is a potato.

on topic: i'd consider them close enough in performance that it comes down to specific features to make a choice.

with specific features i mean things like this:

- nvidia: gsync, shield, geforce experience (hey, i'm sure someone likes it), the nvidia driver experience, better performance per wat generally, etc.

- AMD: freesync, whatever has been going on with the AMD drivers (i honestly havent been following it...), better performance per dollar generally, etc.

Driver updates, as expected, essentially closed the small gap between the 2 and gave Relive. Which, is essentially a better Geforce Experience with a toe to toe shadowplay.

8 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

I would pick nvidia because it has more stable fps

???

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I'd go for an aftermarket 8GB RX 480, but if the 1060 6GB is significantly cheaper I'd go with that.

Driver updates, as expected, essentially closed the small gap between the 2 and gave Relive. Which, is essentially a better Geforce Experience with a toe to toe shadowplay.

eh, it depends on preference i guess. i honestly prefer nvidia drivers just because i'm used to them, and i know what all the buttons do. some people dont mind paying a bit extra for the convenience of familiarity.

Just now, manikyath said:

eh, it depends on preference i guess. i honestly prefer nvidia drivers just because i'm used to them, and i know what all the buttons do. some people dont mind paying a bit extra for the convenience of familiarity.

That's fair enough. 

@sniip Personally, I'd go with the GTX 1060 since the Fast Sync (which is something like FreeSync, NOT V-Sync) is an extra feature which is built into the card and doesn't require a specific monitor to be utilized, unlike FreeSync and G-Sync. :) 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

???

there's this one benchmark where they recorded acutal frame times in a DX12 title, and the RX480 was basicly all over the place (while, still consistently higher than the GTX1060) and all nvidia cards tested were essentially a smooth experience.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

there's this one benchmark where they recorded acutal frame times in a DX12 title, and the RX480 was basicly all over the place (while, still consistently higher than the GTX1060) and all nvidia cards tested were essentially a smooth experience.

Was it only the one? How long ago?

Was it only the one? How long ago?

i honestly dont remember anymore, i'd have to go check, it's been 4 months at least o.O

Just now, manikyath said:

i honestly dont remember anymore, i'd have to go check, it's been 4 months at least o.O

There's been at least 3+ driver updates not including hotfixes, so I think it's not a concern at this point.