GTX 1060 + I5 6600K Overclock

Hello Everyone,

So, I have a GTX 1060 and an I5 6600K on an Asus z170-a motherboard. I have recently started to play more witcher 3 and I am loving it. Even though I get a solid performance out of my setup at the moment I wanted a bit more, enough to stay above the 60fps mark.

I've used the asus automatic overclock thing and the OC preset on the graphics card (Gigabyte g1 1060 6gb) but the pc get's really unstable and I get quite a few bluescreens or crashes.

Can anyone tell me what is the best overclocking values for each one?

Something to get like 4 \ 4.2 GHz out of the CPU and overclock the graphics card well (Not making it crazy hot or reducing its life spam).

Thanks

(Sorry for any english mistake)

CPUs and GPUs are individuals. You have to find the best OC for your own units yourself. If anyone here says anything above the marketed values is safe or certain to be achieved, ask for a money deposit. Nobody can guarantee anything, is what I mean.

Here's what binning is.  Basically, if your GPU chip could have handled it, it would have been made into a GTX1070 but some instability made it so that it could only be marketed at the GTX1060 speeds/voltages/cores and so on. The marketed turbo boost is about as high as it's going to go. With ample cooling and voltage you may be able to take it above it if the problem was cooling or voltage to begin with. The same goes for your CPU.

2 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

CPUs and GPUs are individuals. You have to find the best OC for your own units yourself. If anyone here says anything above the marketed values is safe or certain to be achieved, ask for a money deposit. Nobody can guarantee anything, is what I mean.

Here's what binning is.  Basically, if your GPU chip could have handled it, it would have been made into a GTX1070 but some instability made it so that it could only be marketed at the GTX1060 speeds/voltages/cores and so on. The marketed turbo boost is about as high as it's going to go. With ample cooling and voltage you may be able to take it above it if the problem was cooling or voltage to begin with. The same goes for your CPU.

Like he said, take it slow and test small overclocks, then test if your pc is stable. Overclocking is a task that requires patients (except if you found someome with the same motherboard, processor and graphics card, and he has results to it).

CPU overclock :

7481_881_tweaktowns-ultimate-intel-skylake-overclocking-guide_full.jpg

Tip : don't put the Uncore as high as Vcore, let it at stock value, it's more than enough and will increase stability

for GPU use Afterburner, it's great. Don't push memory speed too high, sometimes too much increase memory speed will lower core speed increase capability and will lower perfs as a result.

2 hours ago, belfouf said:

CPU overclock :

7481_881_tweaktowns-ultimate-intel-skylake-overclocking-guide_full.jpg

Tip : don't put the Uncore as high as Vcore, let it at stock value, it's more than enough and will increase stability

3 hours ago, Naeaes said:

2 hours ago, belfouf said:

for GPU use Afterburner, it's great. Don't push memory speed too high, sometimes too much increase memory speed will lower core speed increase capability and will lower perfs as a result.

3 hours ago, Factory OC said:

Like he said, take it slow and test small overclocks, then test if your pc is stable. Overclocking is a task that requires patients (except if you found someome with the same motherboard, processor and graphics card, and he has results to it).

All right, Thanks

CPU overclocking:

1. Increase the multiplier a little bit at a time.

2. Run a stress test for about 15 minutes each time you increase the multiplier using either Prime 95, Intel Burn test, Aida 64 or Intel XTU. When running the Prime 95 Small FFT s test, (maximum heat) temps do seem to get unrealistically high. I got like 15-30C higher temps than with other stress tests. You wont hit those temps when doing gaming, streaming, video rendering etc. If you want more realistic temps use one of the other tests. (Intel Burn test is the best imo followed by Aida 64)

3. Once it's not stable, increase the voltage by a little bit.

4. Once you have found your max overclock run a stress test for 3 hours to make sure its stable. If you want to be completely sure it's stable run a test for 48 hours. 

Keep doing this until you don't want to go any further or temps get too high.

Max voltage you should use for 24/7: 1.45V. (Unless the CPU is delidded then up to 1.5V is fine for 24/7 assuming temps are okay)

Max temp your CPU should run at: 85C.

By the way CPU's are pretty hard to kill, and degradation doesn't usually happen that easily.

Overclocking results are usually never the same from chip to chip. This goes for pretty much all computer parts. 

GPU:

Edited by Matias_Chambers

2 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

CPU overclocking:

1. Increase the multiplier a little bit at a time.

2. Run a stress test for about 15 minutes each time you increase the multiplier using either Prime 95, Intel Burn test, Aida 64 or Intel XTU. When running the Prime 95 Small FFT s test, (maximum heat) temps do seem to get unrealistically high. I got like 15-30C higher temps than with other stress tests. You wont hit those temps when doing gaming, streaming, video rendering etc. If you want more realistic temps use one of the other tests. (Intel Burn test is the best imo followed by Aida 64)

3. Once it's not stable, increase the voltage by a little bit.

4. Once you have found your max overclock run a stress test for 3 hours to make sure its stable. If you want to be completely sure it's stable run a test for 48 hours. 

Keep doing this until you don't want to go any further or temps get too high.

Max voltage you should use for 24/7: 1.45V. (Unless the CPU is delidded then up to 1.5V is fine for 24/7 assuming temps are okay)

Max temp your CPU should run at: 85C.

By the way CPU's are pretty hard to kill, and degradation doesn't usually happen that easily.

Overclocking results are usually never the same from chip to chip. This goes for pretty much all computer parts. 

GPU:

This is a better overclocking guide for the GPU:

On 09/12/2016 at 5:21 PM, Matias_Chambers said:

This is a better overclocking guide for the GPU:

Hey, just to say that I got a solid 4.7Ghz off the processor stable. Temps are good aswell. Did those stress tests for +-5h and all good.

Thanks for the tips

5 hours ago, ShatteredPsycho said:

Hey, just to say that I got a solid 4.7Ghz off the processor stable. Temps are good aswell. Did those stress tests for +-5h and all good.

Thanks for the tips

That's great. 

5 hours ago, ShatteredPsycho said:

Thanks for the tips

How much voltage are you using? I'm just curious. 

5 hours ago, Matias_Chambers said:

How much voltage are you using? I'm just curious. 

1.356V
I was later reading some posts are decided to decrease to 4.3Ghz to keep it on the safe side and have more longevity, I am afraid that It will shorten it's life spam.

Could you tell me more about the Values of voltage? As in what is safe, what isn't and so on?