H170 and DDR3? Confused...

nkucz
Go to solution Solved by MageTank,
2 hours ago, typographie said:

This topic comes up a lot, and there still seems to be a lot of confusion about it. My understanding is there are certain voltages associated with DDR3 memory that may harm a Skylake IMC, and there are certain voltages that probably won't. The gist of it seems to be that if you just make sure VCCIO and VCCSA are dialed in properly in your BIOS, DDR3 memory should not harm your CPU.

@MageTank explains this a lot better than I can:

Plus, even the overly cautious recommendation is to follow the manufacturer's specifications literally, and in this case Gigabyte says "DDR3/DDR3L." If Gigabyte thought they would have to replace your CPU, they wouldn't say that—they may even print a warning about it. Gigabyte's memory support list for the H170-D3H DDR3 lists more 1.5 V products than 1.35 V ones.

If you decide to buy new RAM, I'd recommend trying to find a DDR4-compatible motherboard and going that route instead of buying DDR3L. The price difference between DDR3 and DDR4 has gotten to be minuscule, and you're better off in the long run using DDR4.

To add to this: I built a PC for a coworker using the Asus Z170-P D3, and threw in some 2133 CL9 Ripjaws Sniper ram (1.65v). This was back in February, and his PC has been running nonstop and not a single issue has come of it. I manually dialed in the VCCIO on that board (1.14 in his case) and VCCSA was set to 1.15. Aside from finicky training of the RTL/IO-L offsets (blame cheap boards), it was basically plug and play. Even the auto VCCIO/VCCSA values on that board, were under harmful thresholds (VCCIO was auto 1.2v, and VCCSA was auto 1.25v), i simply reduced them because I knew the IMC didn't need them that high to drive this ram. The CPU in that system was an i5 6500 that I bought from @Lays here on this forum, and it's IMC was perfectly fine, even after running through his gauntlet. 

I've done a lot more research since that post, and if you take Intel's strict tolerances, the typical VDDQ for DDR3 is 1.35, with a max variance of +5% allowed, meaning 1.41v max. Typical DDR4 VDDQ is 1.2v, with again, +5% max variance, meaning 1.26v. Problem? Every single overclocked DDR4 kit runs at 1.35v, meaning the vast majority already break Intel's standards. This is looking beyond the fact that Intel themselves confuse the definitions of VDDQ and VDIMM in their own datasheet: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

Jedec themselves define VDDQ as the "output stage drain power voltage", which by name, implies it's not the voltage entering the IMC. https://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/dictionary/terms/output-stage-drain-power-voltage-vddq

Scrolling down to 7.2.1.3 in the Intel datasheet, they list the following information: 

bEcStpj.png

Look specifically at notes 1 and 2. As coincidental as it sounds, VDDQ is not the I/O supply voltage from the processor to the ram. I know the voltages they list directly coincide with their VDIMM voltages, but I feel some miscommunication on behalf of whoever wrote this is the cause, as it simply does not make sense. Factor in the previous information that every single person using DDR4 has likely broken these standards, and are doing perfectly fine, it's easy to see that these standards mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

In summary, VDIMM simply does not come into contact with the CPU. No amount of VDIMM can kill a CPU, but it can kill the ram itself, and bad boards. There is such thing as too much VDIMM, even from a stability standpoint, so try to use as little VDIMM as possible, while obtaining the highest clock speeds with that kit as possible. The same can be said with VCCIO and VCCSA. It's all about finding the sweet spot. 

BONUS: Fun fact: Haswell's VDDQ was 1.5v, with a max tolerance of +5%, meaning 1.575v max. How many of you exceeded that, while not frying your CPU's IMC?

7qTSJW9.png

Hey guys,

Was looking at cheap Micro ATX motherboards for an i3 6100 and stumbled across this:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-H17MDR3&c=CJ

Why does it say it supports DDR3/DDRL? Does this mean it doesn't support DDR4? And it will take DDR3 ram from my previous computer....

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

No, it problay supports DDR3L or DDR4

Not all LGA1511 motherboards support DDR4. There are a few that can take DDR3/L memory.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Product specs:

• Specifications

• Mfr Part Number: GA-H170M-D3H DDR3
    • CPU: LGA1151
      • Supports Intel Core i7/ i5/ i3 /Pentium /Celeron Processors
    • Chipset: Intel H170 Express
    • Memory: 4x DDR3/DDR3L 1866(OC)/1600/1333 DIMM Slots, Dual Channel, ECC, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Max Capacity of 32GB
    • Slots: 2x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slots (one runs at x4), 2x PCI Slots
    • Multi-Graphics: Supports 2-Way AMD CrossFireX Technology
    • Storage:
      • SATA: 6x SATA3 Ports, Support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, 2x SATA Express Ports
      • M.2: 1x M.2 Port (type 2242/2260/2280), Support SATA & PCI-Express SSD
    • Audio: Realtek ALC892 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC, Supports S/PDIF Output
    • LAN: Intel Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    • Ports: 8x USB 3.0/2.0 Ports (4 rear, 4 via headers), 6x USB 2.0/1.1 Ports (2 rear, 4 via headers), 1x PS/2 Keyboad/Mouse Port, 1x VGA Port, 1x HDMI Port, 1x DVI-D Port, 1x RJ45 LAN Port, Audio I/O Jacks
    • Power Connector: 1x 24pin ATX Main Power Connector, 1x 8pin ATX 12V Power Connector
    • Form Factor: MicroATX, 24.4 x 22.5 cm

Rig (OLD): 

• AMD Piledriver FX-6350 Six Core 3.90GHz Processor
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • 120GB AFOX SSD
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • NVIDIA GTX 960 2GB DDR5
  • Corsair SPEC-03 Blue LED Gaming PC Case 
  • 450W Power Supply
  • Gigabyte AMD760G Chipset Motherboard

New Rig:

• Intel core I5-6600K 3.5GHz Processor
  • 1TB HDD
  • 240GB Samsung SSD
  • 16GB 2333MHz DDR4 RAM
  • ICHILL Nvidia Geforce 980ti
  • 850W PSU

3 minutes ago, Luke Jackson said:

Product specs:

• Specifications

• Mfr Part Number: GA-H170M-D3H DDR3
    • CPU: LGA1151
      • Supports Intel Core i7/ i5/ i3 /Pentium /Celeron Processors
    • Chipset: Intel H170 Express
    • Memory: 4x DDR3/DDR3L 1866(OC)/1600/1333 DIMM Slots, Dual Channel, ECC, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Max Capacity of 32GB
    • Slots: 2x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slots (one runs at x4), 2x PCI Slots
    • Multi-Graphics: Supports 2-Way AMD CrossFireX Technology
    • Storage:
      • SATA: 6x SATA3 Ports, Support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, 2x SATA Express Ports
      • M.2: 1x M.2 Port (type 2242/2260/2280), Support SATA & PCI-Express SSD
    • Audio: Realtek ALC892 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC, Supports S/PDIF Output
    • LAN: Intel Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    • Ports: 8x USB 3.0/2.0 Ports (4 rear, 4 via headers), 6x USB 2.0/1.1 Ports (2 rear, 4 via headers), 1x PS/2 Keyboad/Mouse Port, 1x VGA Port, 1x HDMI Port, 1x DVI-D Port, 1x RJ45 LAN Port, Audio I/O Jacks
    • Power Connector: 1x 24pin ATX Main Power Connector, 1x 8pin ATX 12V Power Connector
    • Form Factor: MicroATX, 24.4 x 22.5 cm

So it supports DDR3 and DDR3L. They are the only compatible memory. And i assume as long as the ram is either DDR3 or DDRL, and the spare sticks are compatible with the new sticks I assume you may be getting, you should be fine.

Rig (OLD): 

• 1TB Hard Drive
  • 120GB AFOX SSD
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 450W Power Supply

New Rig:

• 1TB HDD
  • 240GB Samsung SSD
  • 16GB 2333MHz DDR4 RAM
  • 850W PSU

3 minutes ago, Luke Jackson said:

So it supports DDR3 and DDR3L.

Theoreticaly, every skylake mobo supports DDR3, but there is a chance of frying the cpu if you do so.

Just now, FTL said:

Theoreticaly, every skylake mobo supports DDR3, but there is a chance of frying the cpu if you do so.

Indeed, my mistake for not including that :P

Rig (OLD): 

• 1TB Hard Drive
  • 120GB AFOX SSD
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 450W Power Supply

New Rig:

• 1TB HDD
  • 240GB Samsung SSD
  • 16GB 2333MHz DDR4 RAM
  • 850W PSU

53 minutes ago, FTL said:

52 minutes ago, Luke Jackson said:

Indeed, my mistake for not including that :P

Except, you know, DDR4 modules don't fit in DDR3 slots. So no, it's not a matter of them frying the CPU.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, FTL said:

No, it problay supports DDR3L or DDR4

that's intel's opinion, and then motherboard manufacturers did voodoo for it to support DDR3 :P

6 hours ago, FTL said:

So your saying if I put DDR3 in there is a chance of frying my i3? What if I use DDR3L instead?

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Except, you know, DDR4 modules don't fit in DDR3 slots. So no, it's not a matter of them frying the CPU.

So if I use DDR3 it won't fry my CPU?

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

that's intel's opinion, and then motherboard manufacturers did voodoo for it to support DDR3 :P

gah... so confused. 

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

14 minutes ago, nkucz said:

So your saying if I put DDR3 in there is a chance of frying my i3? What if I use DDR3L instead?

gah... so confused. 

According to Intel i3-6100 can use these types of memory 

Memory Types DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

also here's the link for all info: http://ark.intel.com/products/90729/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz

Also IMO it's better to use DDR4 memory, because they have higher frequencies and also DDR4 will overtake DDR3 in the market soon enough, so why wait...

1 minute ago, sniip said:

According to Intel i3-6100 can use these types of memory 

Memory Types DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

also here's the link for all info: http://ark.intel.com/products/90729/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz

Also IMO it's better to use DDR4 memory, because they have higher frequencies and also DDR4 will overtake DDR3 in the market soon enough, so why wait...

The motherboard doesn't support DDR4. Also I already have DDR3. 

1 minute ago, nkucz said:

The motherboard doesn't support DDR4. Also I already have DDR3. 

Well, then probably this Mobo won't fit you, since the processor is not supporting DDR3 only DDR3L. If you would use normal DDR3 your processor might not like it.

51 minutes ago, nkucz said:

gah... so confused. 

This topic comes up a lot, and there still seems to be a lot of confusion about it. My understanding is there are certain voltages associated with DDR3 memory that may harm a Skylake IMC, and there are certain voltages that probably won't. The gist of it seems to be that if you just make sure VCCIO and VCCSA are dialed in properly in your BIOS, DDR3 memory should not harm your CPU.

Plus, even the overly cautious recommendation is to follow the manufacturer's specifications literally, and in this case Gigabyte says "DDR3/DDR3L." If Gigabyte thought they would have to replace your CPU, they wouldn't say that—they may even print a warning about it. Gigabyte's memory support list for the H170-D3H DDR3 lists more 1.5 V products than 1.35 V ones.

If you decide to buy new RAM, I'd recommend trying to find a DDR4-compatible motherboard and going that route instead of buying DDR3L. The price difference between DDR3 and DDR4 has gotten to be minuscule, and you're better off in the long run using DDR4.

2 hours ago, typographie said:

To add to this: I built a PC for a coworker using the Asus Z170-P D3, and threw in some 2133 CL9 Ripjaws Sniper ram (1.65v). This was back in February, and his PC has been running nonstop and not a single issue has come of it. I manually dialed in the VCCIO on that board (1.14 in his case) and VCCSA was set to 1.15. Aside from finicky training of the RTL/IO-L offsets (blame cheap boards), it was basically plug and play. Even the auto VCCIO/VCCSA values on that board, were under harmful thresholds (VCCIO was auto 1.2v, and VCCSA was auto 1.25v), i simply reduced them because I knew the IMC didn't need them that high to drive this ram. The CPU in that system was an i5 6500 that I bought from @Lays here on this forum, and it's IMC was perfectly fine, even after running through his gauntlet. 

I've done a lot more research since that post, and if you take Intel's strict tolerances, the typical VDDQ for DDR3 is 1.35, with a max variance of +5% allowed, meaning 1.41v max. Typical DDR4 VDDQ is 1.2v, with again, +5% max variance, meaning 1.26v. Problem? Every single overclocked DDR4 kit runs at 1.35v, meaning the vast majority already break Intel's standards. This is looking beyond the fact that Intel themselves confuse the definitions of VDDQ and VDIMM in their own datasheet: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

Jedec themselves define VDDQ as the "output stage drain power voltage", which by name, implies it's not the voltage entering the IMC. https://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/dictionary/terms/output-stage-drain-power-voltage-vddq

Scrolling down to 7.2.1.3 in the Intel datasheet, they list the following information: 

bEcStpj.png

Look specifically at notes 1 and 2. As coincidental as it sounds, VDDQ is not the I/O supply voltage from the processor to the ram. I know the voltages they list directly coincide with their VDIMM voltages, but I feel some miscommunication on behalf of whoever wrote this is the cause, as it simply does not make sense. Factor in the previous information that every single person using DDR4 has likely broken these standards, and are doing perfectly fine, it's easy to see that these standards mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

In summary, VDIMM simply does not come into contact with the CPU. No amount of VDIMM can kill a CPU, but it can kill the ram itself, and bad boards. There is such thing as too much VDIMM, even from a stability standpoint, so try to use as little VDIMM as possible, while obtaining the highest clock speeds with that kit as possible. The same can be said with VCCIO and VCCSA. It's all about finding the sweet spot. 

BONUS: Fun fact: Haswell's VDDQ was 1.5v, with a max tolerance of +5%, meaning 1.575v max. How many of you exceeded that, while not frying your CPU's IMC?

7qTSJW9.png

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.