Best Places To Learn Programming

Made In Canada

What Websites Would You Recommend For Someone To Learn Python 3?

If you dont mind, please read the quick description bellow to help get a better understanding of where im at and what i plan to do.

Okay, to clear any questions: 

- I want to learn Python 3 specifically, although Python 2 and such would be fine, Python 3 is where things would be going for the language and i would prefer to learn that first.

- Also, one thing i want to point out is that i prefer interactive learning, not just reading it and maybe doing an example here and there, when i say interactive, im imagining a sort of system that would tell you what this code means and how to use it, then putting that to say build a bot to do something. (not sure if its that easy, i just wanted to throw that out there).

- I plan to eventually learn to be a Pentester, which i hear knowing Python and some System Administration skills (which im learning in school) is some basic things you should know as they will benefit you.

- I also plan to learn how to be a web development (not as big as priority as Pentesting and also would require something like HTML, which is also not a priority of mine).

- Im still young and understand these can take time.

Edit: I just realized i forgot to list off some websites i heard of and wanted to see what you thought of them.

Code.org (my school lives by this website but reviews say meh)

Sololearn (multiple students say its good)

Codeacademy (reviews say some things that worry me like "not teaching you properly" and stuff about mindset, but its popular)

Edited by Made In Canada
Words

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

It's not interactive, but Automate the Boring Stuff is a good option for learning Python 3. It's a free online book, with included youtube videos, covering Python 3 and giving you some real application examples of Python along the way.

2 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Just some advice, since far too many people overlook this and fall flat on their faces:

Before you get all gung ho about learning to code, you need to have things to code. There is almost no gap between gaining the knowledge and applying it in this field, so you need to be prepared by coming up with ideas of things you want to make, and have that list ready for once you know the bare necessitiies. Up to a point it doesn’t matter if it’s been done before, or if it’s useful/relevant – all that matters is that its within reach for you at some point in the near future.

Okay, i think i understand what you mean. So for things to code, would say a Raspberry pi (i hear is good for Python because of Linux) and programming it to do certain things like opening an electrical lock whenever it hears my voice? (im just trying to think of something that seems a bit basic off the top of my head).

Also, with the things to code, what would you recommend me coding if i plan to eventually learn to be a pentester? (things that would set me going the right way).

-Made In Canada

9 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

It's not interactive, but Automate the Boring Stuff is a good option for learning Python 3. It's a free online book, with included youtube videos, covering Python 3 and giving you some real application examples of Python along the way.

Alright Thanks, i will look into it.

Also, while im looking into it, i made a quick edit on my main post, just at the bottem with some websites, im sorry to ask, but could you look and possibly give me an opinion of what you think about them? (i ask because i think i will be learning from multiple sites/ ways and would like to know if you prefer any over the others).

12 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Sorry to ask, but could you also look at the websites in the edit and give an opinion on them? (not saying this is how i need to learn, but if i was to use one of those as well, what would you recommend).

-Made In Canada

1 hour ago, madknight3 said:

This is so true. People learn the basics of a language then never use them to solve a problem that wasn't handed to them.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

9 hours ago, Made In Canada said:

Alright Thanks, i will look into it.

Also, while im looking into it, i made a quick edit on my main post, just at the bottem with some websites, im sorry to ask, but could you look and possibly give me an opinion of what you think about them? (i ask because i think i will be learning from multiple sites/ ways and would like to know if you prefer any over the others).

I've never used Code.org or Sololearn, and I've also never seen them recommended by anyone before. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't good, but I can't speak to their quality.

Codecademy works for some people and it's probably one of the easiest beginner tutorials I've seen for Python. It also has a low barrier to entry because everything is done in the browser and you don't have to worry about downloading/installing anything. I've found the free version to be a little lacking though. It does go over the basics of Python, but it doesn't really get you to practice what you're learning. The pro version seems to give you quizzes and projects to do and also offers live chat help, so maybe that greatly improves the quality of the lessons as a whole, but I've never used it so I can't say for sure. I'm not against paying for lessons if you think it'll work for you but there are a lot of great free resources out there too so it's not required.

Also, because everything is done in the browser, you don't get used to working with the Python command line and tools that most developers use. Maybe they show you how to use them with the pro version or with the external resources they link to, but again I'm not sure.

Personally I don't recommend it based on the free version because I think other resources like Automate the Boring Stuff are better, but not everyone learns the same so you may develop a different opinion after trying them.

I have been fan of Lynda they will give some practice files but probably not the kind that you want, and why not use Python as back-end for your web development practicing wouldnt that be like learning the basics? Im not sure what others think of that because im also a noob, and self never did anything with python.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

16 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

This is so true. People learn the basics of a language then never use them to solve a problem that wasn't handed to them.

So you agree this is a good way to learn?

-Made In Canada

8 hours ago, madknight3 said:

I've never used Code.org or Sololearn, and I've also never seen them recommended by anyone before. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't good, but I can't speak to their quality.

Codecademy works for some people and it's probably one of the easiest beginner tutorials I've seen for Python. It also has a low barrier to entry because everything is done in the browser and you don't have to worry about downloading/installing anything. I've found the free version to be a little lacking though. It does go over the basics of Python, but it doesn't really get you to practice what you're learning. The pro version seems to give you quizzes and projects to do and also offers live chat help, so maybe that greatly improves the quality of the lessons as a whole, but I've never used it so I can't say for sure. I'm not against paying for lessons if you think it'll work for you but there are a lot of great free resources out there too so it's not required.

Also, because everything is done in the browser, you don't get used to working with the Python command line and tools that most developers use. Maybe they show you how to use them with the pro version or with the external resources they link to, but again I'm not sure.

Personally I don't recommend it based on the free version because I think other resources like Automate the Boring Stuff are better, but not everyone learns the same so you may develop a different opinion after trying them.

Thank You for being very clear about that all. The Book is now on my "To Buy" list. Thank You Again for all the great points and suggestions :D

-Made In Canada

26 minutes ago, Made In Canada said:

So you agree this is a good way to learn?

Tutorials, both beginner and advanced, are great because they give you a path to follow for a specific topic and don't leave you piecing together your own curriculum, but they are only meant to get you started. So much is learned by trying to apply what you know to real projects.

When you work on your own projects you'll usually run into many things you don't know how to do. You learn a lot by trying to figure out these problems. You only get a taste of that in most tutorials because they tend to walk you through everything. Not only that, but repeatedly using what you learn helps you remember what you're learning. That's why everyone recommends practice outside of tutorials.

32 minutes ago, Made In Canada said:

Thank You for being very clear about that all. The Book is now on my "To Buy" list. Thank You Again for all the great points and suggestions :D

No problem. And I checked to make sure I mentioned that it is free to read online. It's certainly great to buy it and support the author, but you don't have to wait to get started if you don't want to. The author also created a Udemy course for the book. I'm not sure if there's anything there that isn't already free on his YouTube channel but feel free to check it out.