Which GPU should I use? GTX 1060 vs 1070

Hey guys, 

So I am doing my first PC build this holiday season and I need to pick out a nice GPU. Right now im either considering the GTX 1060 or the GTX 1070. Obviously the 1070 is quite a bit more expensive, and Im not sure if I even need something that powerful. However, I've heard that the 1060 is only good for 1080P gaming and the 1070 can do 4K really well, and why not future proof? Please let me know what you guys think and which iteration of each because as I understand theres several different types of each. Thanks a lot.

I've literally only chosen my processor so far: i7 6850K 

1 minute ago, Hanzala said:

Snip

You should usually get the best components you can afford....

but my recommendation would be to choose your monitor before you choose your GPU. that will solve the problem for you.

Just now, Zyndo said:

You should usually get the best components you can afford....

but my recommendation would be to choose your monitor before you choose your GPU. that will solve the problem for you.

Hey thanks for the reply. I will be getting a 4k monitor for sure, work at bestbuy so I get great prices.

Just now, Hanzala said:

Hey thanks for the reply. I will be getting a 4k monitor for sure, work at bestbuy so I get great prices.

If you're definitely getting a 4k monitor and will be gaming then you should definitely not get a 1060.

A 1070 is still okay, but ideally you should be looking at a 1080 or some future equivalent if you can afford it.

Just now, Zyndo said:

If you're definitely getting a 4k monitor and will be gaming then you should definitely not get a 1060.

A 1070 is still okay, but ideally you should be looking at a 1080 or some future equivalent if you can afford it.

I see, yeah I really dont want to go over ~$2000CAD on the build so as far as I can see the 1080 is out of my budget unless I can nab one for $500CAD lol

GTX 1060 -> 1080p

GTX 1070 -> 1440p

GTX 1080 -> 1600p

GTX Titan X Pascal -> 2160p

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

7 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Hey Zyndo, I noticed that you are using the Corsair h100i v2. How do you like it so far? Thats the one I was looking to buy.

6 minutes ago, Hanzala said:

I see, yeah I really dont want to go over ~$2000CAD on the build so as far as I can see the 1080 is out of my budget unless I can nab one for $500CAD lol

Why i7 6850?get a 6800k or 6700k for even cheaper

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Why i7 6850?get a 6800k or 6700k for even cheaper

I got the 6850K for extremely cheap through an intel affiliation. Under 200USD so i picked that. 

Just now, Hanzala said:

I got the 6850K for extremely cheap through an intel affiliation. Under 200USD so i picked that. 

How cheaper is 6800k or no deal on that? 

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

How cheaper is 6800k or no deal on that? 

It was either 6700K for like 120USD or the 6850K for 180USD so i picked 6850 for more cores even though 6700k has a (very small) upperhand in fps. 

I plan on doing autoCAD and solidworks on it as well so i wanted cores over fps.

3 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

for that processor you should get a GTX 1070 at least, and consider a GTX 1080/GTX 1080ti.

Oh I didn't know there was a correlation between the processor and GPU? Could you expand on why?

12 minutes ago, Hanzala said:

Is there any way I can join the affiliation and buy a 6850k as well? Planning on upgradding my 5820k :)

1 hour ago, Hanzala said:

Oh I didn't know there was a correlation between the processor and GPU? Could you expand on why?

well its just if you have a graphics card that super powerful and a processor that sucks then all the games will be getting FPS depending on how good (or bad rather) your CPU is, same for GPU. since you have a really good processor it would make sense to match the processors potential with a good car, but there's no need if you don't want to. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

2 minutes ago, Hanzala said:

the cpu gives the gpu instructions. If the cpu is too slow, it cant give the gpu instructions fast enough, so the gpu becomes slower. Basicly the higher cpu you have, get a better gpu, because you want to *balance* them out.

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

well its just if you have a graphics card that super powerful and a processor that sucks then all the games will be getting FPS depending on how good (or bad rather) your CPU is, same for GPU. since you have a really good processor it would make sense to match the processors potential. 

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah I'll probably go for the 1070 for now. Do you know which specifc one is the best? On amazon and newegg i see many? What do the different iterations even mean. 

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah I'll probably go for the 1070 for now. Do you know which specifc one is the best? On amazon and newegg i see many? What do the different iterations even mean. 

go for evga, they have better warranty and all that.

Its basicly the same card, just different venders and warranties and such

4 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Is there any way I can join the affiliation and buy a 6850k as well? Planning on upgradding my 5820k :)

Haha depends on whether you work for a tech company, I can see then see if its possible. :)

Haha depends on whether you work for a tech company, I can see then see if its possible. :)

Rip, unemployed high school student. Can I pay you to buy one for me?

Just now, Hanzala said:

Take a look at picture below.

Legs are representing slow GPU, while upper body is bufed (aka i7 6850K).

maxresdefault.jpg

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Hanzala said:

gotta log off, ill check forum tomorrow :)

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

go for evga, they have better warranty and all that.

Its basicly the same card, just different venders and warranties and such

GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition Graphic Card

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW DT GAMING ACX 3.0

Which is the best lol?

3 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Take a look at picture below.

Legs are representing slow GPU, while upper body is bufed (aka i7 6850K).

maxresdefault.jpg

LOL VERY WELL SAID

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Rip, unemployed high school student. Can I pay you to buy one for me?

Haha I couldn't even If I wanted to, once you buy one youre locked out. But consider working for bestbuy for a week, then you too can get this amazing deal during december and i think june