Where can i borrow a lga 2011-3 cpu?

where can i borrow a lga 2011-3 CPU to flash my bios because my current outdated bios doesn't support my new CPU and i dont have my old one anymore.

I would say your best bet would be a local computer hardware store, like Microcenter.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Go to a store and pay them to do it. NCIX or memory express or some store like that should have a 2011-3 CPU around.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Moress said:

I would say your best bet would be a local computer hardware store, like Microcenter.

i live 250 miles away from the nearest microcenter, and i called the local pc repair store and they said they didnt even have any compatible cpus

Then start calling the next closest ones, or perhaps try your luck on some local classifieds.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

2 minutes ago, RedJohn said:

i live 250 miles away from the nearest microcenter, and i called the local pc repair store and they said they didnt even have any compatible cpus

If your nothing feeling ethical, buy it from amazon, and return it.

What motherboard do you have, it could allow you to flash the BIOS through a USB. That's a common enthusiast feature.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

Just now, MarieKirya said:

What motherboard do you have, it could allow you to flash the BIOS through a USB. That's a common enthusiast feature.

i have an msi mobo which doesnt have that feature

26 minutes ago, RedJohn said:

i have an msi mobo which doesnt have that feature

edit forgot m-flash isnt same as q-flash/asus-flash (standard features on both gigabyte and asus)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Even the CHEAPEST msi mobo you can buy for x99 has that feature. It's called m-flash.

But you need to get into the BIOS to do that.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

will i get into bios without a cpu?

will i get into bios without a cpu?

no

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

no

i thought so

13 minutes ago, RedJohn said:

i thought so

Can you post a listing on your local Craigslist to see if anyone local is willing to help?  If I saw a listing like that, I'd help the person if they were close enough.

17 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

13 minutes ago, RedJohn said:

i thought so

My bad (see edit). Anywho. If you really can't get a local buisness to do it, I would post a notice on the forum with the city you live (or nearest) in asking if someone with a cpu would be willing to do it. You can even offer a little incentive.

Also if you contact MSI most of them are willing to update bioses at a charge or for free (asrock NA I know does this for free) but you will probably need to pay shipping and will be without a board for a while. Otherwise if you can demonstrate you are capable to them directly, most reputable manufacturers are willing to ship to you an updated BIOS EEPROM chip provided you are competent enough to use a $10 PLC Extractor bought from Radio Shack to pull out the old chip and put in the new one.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Can you post a listing on your local Craigslist to see if anyone local is willing to help?  If I saw a listing like that, I'd help the person if they were close enough.

Or just on the forums. Most people here (that have the cpu) would be willing.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Just now, done12many2 said:

I agree.

Also check if anyone near you is selling some 2011 CPU, and just contact them if they can borrow you that CPU for few minutes.

Not sure if anyone will do it for free, but for 20$ they probbably will. I know I would.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Or just on the forums. Most people here (that have the cpu) would be willing.

Very true.  

I've met a lot of folks through Craigslist willing to help one another.  Very surprising and it's location specific.  Can't go wrong with the forums either.

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

I agree.

Also check if anyone near you is selling some 2011 CPU, and just contact them if they can borrow you that CPU for few minutes.

Not sure if anyone will do it for free, but for 20$ they probbably will. I know I would.

I would do it for free, except that my cpu is currently under a hardline tubing FCWC, so removing it is a bitch.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I would do it for free, except that my cpu is currently under a hardline tubing FCWC, so removing it is a bitch.

I would do it to.  I have avoided hardline because I upgrade too damn much.  :D

@RedJohn where are you located?

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Meh, those few hours that you need to drain loop, dissesamble it and then put it back together. I promise you, it won't take you more than 1 day.

xD 

Just now, done12many2 said:

And that's one of the reason for me also. With soft tubing you can remove CPU and sometimes even motherboard, iwhtout having to drain or disesamble your loop. Also I'm pretty sure I would destroy too many tubes before I did the right bend.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Meh, those few hours that you need to drain loop, dissesamble it and then put it back together. I promise you, it won't take you more than 1 day.

xD 

And that's one of the reason for me also. With soft tubing you can remove CPU and sometimes even motherboard, iwhtout having to drain or disesamble your loop. Also I'm pretty sure I would destroy too many tubes before I did the right bend.

Ahh but it looks so good.... I really don't like the look of soft-tubing. And yea. I am vain enough that my computer is an aesthetic showpiece as well as a functional one.

Anyways @OP yea basically you're best bet is trying to find someone near you.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

20 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

i live in california sacramento spesificly.

i live in california sacramento spesificly.

Populated area like that should be easy.  Like everyone has mentioned, start a thread and see if you can find anyone local.  Better yet, modify this thread's title to include Sacramento, and tag Sacramento as well.  Post something in Craigslist at the same time.

You could also take a 6 hour car ride south to visit MSI in person.  :D

Good luck man.